Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have had that same problem with a Small gap at the calf ridge with a 3/4 quilt when cold. Short term solution has been to use a full length UQ for colder weather. I will try the pillow suggestion. I am also thinking about making a something like a short, fat draft collar to plug the gap.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Tape comes off nylon pretty easy. Even duct tape. Velcro is a bit intrusive i think, but has same problem - sticky backing wont stick long. Pulling the suspension tighter, pulling up, using triangle thingies, or other simplistic suggestions won't fix this either.

The real solution is to pull the quilt lengthwise so it fills the calf ridge space. You need a DYI quilt suspension hack for that though. I fixed this problem switching to clew suspension.

The other (much easier) solution is to avoid the problem altogether: Get yourself a giant knee pillow that takes up that entire space and flattens the ridge too. I'm currently using a vacuum travel bag. With that, you won't feel an air gap under the calf ridge, or even the calf ridge itself! These are <$5 so i recommend this option first.
    Lev, do you have any TQ draft issues using your giant knee pillow?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    Yeah, there's a 10 page thread on the adjustments. I'll get it right one night, make no changes and be miserable the next. I'm really more interested in how to make this more bulletproof via modification at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    Superior hammock is on order. I've got to do something while I wait. Idle mind and all.
    I'm betting the Superior hammock will totally fix that. But while you wait for it, as I may have mentioned in the other thread, a knee pillow such as Lev suggests, or a small piece of Closed cell foam under your leg/problem area. Or both. For me, leg pads are barely noticeable except for the tremendous added warmth. That Velcro thing would probably work, if you can get the tape to stay on.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPhun View Post
    I have had that same problem with a Small gap at the calf ridge with a 3/4 quilt when cold. Short term solution has been to use a full length UQ for colder weather. I will try the pillow suggestion. I am also thinking about making a something like a short, fat draft collar to plug the gap.
    That one makes me scratch my head. Using the shorter UQs ( especially the really short one from WB but far as I can tell the slightly longer ones from JRB also ) I get absolutely no leg gap. Theoretically, at least if the quilt is short enough, there is no gap to happen. Because there is nothing but air under that leg anyway. At least with the WB which barely goes past my butt. A pad provides all of that insulation. Admittedly the JRBs come down to about mid calf, but I still don't get any leg gap at all in that area. But even if I did, most likely any pad I'd be using would cover that area anyway. Which is why I recommend for Hang Williams to try a leg pad while he waits.

When you say "gap", do you mean one that runs along the length of one leg, or one on th very end of the UQ, from left to right on the foot end? As might be filled with a draft tube? Or, on my JRBs and AHE, there is a cinch cord that lifts the ends up as needed to close any end gap.

Images
    RE: giant knee pillow Top Quilt draft: there can be a little draft if you don’t tuck the quilt in correctly underneath. It hasn’t been a problem in several years worth of trips for me. If I were in subzero temps, I might want a little more protection.

The only downside to having a big plastic pillow is the plastic getting sweaty from skin contact. Out in the field, I usually wear my pants to sleep though.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I was watching an Apollo documentary last night and saw this photo:

They call the UQ "Hammock Insulator". You can also see "Velcro Attachment Points" all along the side and bottom. I can't tell if that's for the top quilt/blanket or the UQ. I think the UQ.

Pretty cool!!! I'm sure I wouldn't sleep much on the moon, even with a hammock. The anxiety would be through the roof. They did have sleeping pills though.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    They have to have some kind of connection for the top/bottom insulation or it would just float away!

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I was watching an Apollo documentary last night and saw this photo:

They call the UQ "Hammock Insulator". You can also see "Velcro Attachment Points" all along the side and bottom. I can't tell if that's for the top quilt/blanket or the UQ. I think the UQ.

Pretty cool!!! I'm sure I wouldn't sleep much on the moon, even with a hammock. The anxiety would be through the roof. They did have sleeping pills though.
    I would've thought that they would just use space blankets...

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    DrPlum, if I want to snug up my UQ’s, I put an S-Biners (or any small clip) on the hammock ridge line - near the ends = and clip in the two bungee UQ suspension lines. That gives them a lift at the ends and snugs them up to the hammock body. I don’t cinch the ends tight once I saw a video showing how that can create a gap with a diagonal lie.

When you picture your hammock it is usually a rectangular with gather ends - like a pea pod. And the UQ is rectangular - great fit. Except, when you are in the hammock, in your diagonal lie, there is a push out to the side with feet and head at the ends. If you keep the ends of the UQ loose, it can more easily form fit to whatever shape is presented. But that is different from LIFT. HG developed secondary suspension to help a bit. But using a some kind of hook or cord to pull the bungee cord toward the hammock ridge line would work as well. Also, I use an UQP because I often have to setup alone and I can't see the setup while I am in the hammock. The UQP allows for some imprecision. If I only had one hammock and one UQ, I get find a volunteer (“Would you like to lie in a hammock for a few minutes?”), set it, tied appropriate knots or shorten lines as required, and done. But I’m often changing hammocks and UQ’s. So every setup is another opportunity to learn.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    In addition to all this, I would also recommend recording some video of the foot end. Set up your phone, hit record, get in the hammock, and move around like you normally would getting ready to sleep. Watch how the UQ rides and reacts to your feet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12