Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Thumbs up VIDEO: Stone Mountain State Park NC - 3-day Solo Backpacking Hammock Trip

On this trip I spent 3 days hiking and camping in North Carolina’s Stone Mountain State Park. Stone Mountain is well known as a day-hike destination but also has a secluded backpackers area with nice campsites for hangers.

My first day started out hiking along the Widow’s Creek Trail for a couple of miles. Part of Widow’s Creek also serves as a section of the Mountains to Sea Trail. Beautiful streamside hiking ushered me to my camp for the next 2 nights, Campsite C. I spent the afternoon setting up my Simply Light Design hammock gear and prepping firewood for the rest of the trip.

Day 2 was my big hiking day. The main sights of Stone Mountain are several miles down the MST from the backpacker area. Totally worth the walk as this is one of the most scenic hikes around! Stone Mountain itself offers great views of the surrounding mountains framed by its granite dome. Stone Mountain Falls is a 200’+ roaring cascade. The Hutchinson Homestead looks up at the face of Stone Mountain and gives a glimpse at early settler life. I enjoyed all these and more before heading back to campsite C for the night, covering about 16 miles in total.

I finished up my final day by lounging around for a bit during the morning in my hammock. A light rainstorm had blown through overnight. A short hike out saw me back to the backpackers parking lot and at the end of my trip.

Thanks for watching!
    Layne

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    DW Beetle-Buckles
    Good stuff Layne! Thanks for posting...

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Thanks for sharing. I couldn’t help but think about how you had to go up and down those stairs to get that shot, and back and forth in those cold creeks, too.

Charlotte.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Thank you for the post. What time of year was it (month)? I see - near the end of the video you said it has just turned November.

Also watched how you split that wood. That between the legs method does seem to have less probability of accident - important on solo adventures.
    I have one of those “triangle” saws - keep it in the jeep in case some tree blocks the road after a wind storm. But in another post, I saw this: SILKY Bigboy 2000. I might pick that up the next time REI has their 20% off sale.

I appreciate that you had to make those icy crossings at least four times. 1) cross with the camera on 2) cross back over to get the camera 3) cross back with the camera 4) cross again on the way back. Not to be taken for granted.

The rocks - where they came from - for your fire pit was kind of interesting because all the ground cover looked like leaves. Nary a stone in sight; except for that big mountain
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 02-21-2021 at 01:01.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinestraw View Post
    Good stuff Layne! Thanks for posting...
    Thanks for checking it out Pinestraw!

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by xMagnolia View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I couldn’t help but think about how you had to go up and down those stairs to get that shot, and back and forth in those cold creeks, too.

Charlotte.
    Thanks for thinking of me Charlotte. Hope the shots & video made you feel like you were right there in Stone Mountain exploring.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Thank you for the post. What time of year was it (month)? I see - near the end of the video you said it has just turned November.

Also watched how you split that wood. That between the legs method does seem to have less probability of accident - important on solo adventures.
    I have one of those “triangle” saws - keep it in the jeep in case some tree blocks the road after a wind storm. But in another post, I saw this: SILKY Bigboy 2000. I might pick that up the next time REI has their 20% off sale.

I appreciate that you had to make those icy crossings at least four times. 1) cross with the camera on 2) cross back over to get the camera 3) cross back with the camera 4) cross again on the way back. Not to be taken for granted.

The rocks - where they came from - for your fire pit was kind of interesting because all the ground cover looked like leaves. Nary a stone in sight; except for that big mountain
    This was end of Oct/beg. of Nov. We were in the transition between Fall & Winter.

Good eye on the splitting form. I'm not super experienced with a hatchet so I try to use the safest method. The 2 keys are to have your legs in front of the log so that any glancing blows aren't likely to strike you and to not follow through on the swing - stop it at the log. Definitely check out more specific teachings before trying anything like this oneself. It took probably 30-60 minutes to split all my wood with that little hatchet.

When I go on trips with friends I get to just film them going across and save myself the extra. But overall I don't mind it to get a cool shot to share, part of the adventure.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Thanks for taking us along to Stone Mountain. I like your enthusiasm, cool facts about the area and your filming. Well done!
    As a recent transplant to the Charlotte area, which guide book did you get those maps from? Stone Mountain is less than 90 minutes from me and could serve as a convenient place to spend some time in the woods.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    Thank you Layne. I enjoyed your video.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead
    Outstanding trip/video and reporting!! That is a beautiful place!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast