Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    320g (11.3oz!) for the 11 footer... good argument for an integrated net and a UQ made with Argon 67 shell.
    Yeah, too heavy for my taste but the bottom entry one is only 163g.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    This is one of those things where it’s always going to be personal preference. Personally, having used both, I will always use a bottom entry. It’s so much easier to get in and out. If the shock cord is properly tensioned, insects can’t join you. There’s no zippers to catch on stuff. I can sit with my legs out and still be covered.I can remove it for bug free season’s. I can put it on a different hammock. I don’t need tie outs to keep it off my face. It’s just better IMO.

On the other hand, others are going to have a host of reason’s why integrated is better. There’s no right answer.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post
    This is one of those things where it’s always going to be personal preference. Personally, having used both, I will always use a bottom entry. It’s so much easier to get in and out. If the shock cord is properly tensioned, insects can’t join you. There’s no zippers to catch on stuff. I can sit with my legs out and still be covered.I can remove it for bug free season’s. I can put it on a different hammock. I don’t need tie outs to keep it off my face. It’s just better IMO.

On the other hand, others are going to have a host of reason’s why integrated is better. There’s no right answer.
    Which one do you have?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I have two diy bottom entry. One of these days I’ll get around to building one out of the lighter weight mesh’s that were not available when I built mine.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    > If only there was a way to relieve ones’ self at night while still protected by bug net but far enough away to clear the hammock.

See Restop I at https://restop.com/
    The Restop II “features” are probably too gymnastic for inside the hammock/bugnet.

But further discussion along this line would probably be for the “gear” sub-forum.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeyboy42 View Post

Even though I like integrated I have not ruled out bottom entry, especially if could find something made with the really light material.

The reason is the reliability factor for a buggy trip far from a bailout point, where a blown zipper could really lead to a lot of agony when black flies and mosquitoes are at their worst. I would also carry a more durable hammock for the same reason, especially if not carrying an air mat as back-up, which would also be likely.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Integrated sure is sleek, and I see the appeal. But I dislike zippers. Heavy, bulky, uncomfortable and always seem to be harder to use when I need to get out quick.
    2 separate items will likely be cheaper, lighter and more versatile. Your net can be used on another hammock if need be.
    Downside to most separate nets is that they take a bit more thought to put on or take off. Often insulation needs to be taken off and the suspension disconnected. Some nets like draped or sock style give more freedom for this. In this respect.
    Neither is right or wrong. Neither will leave you regretting your choice. And chances are, you'll end up with a few hammocks and/or nets anyway. So go grab something and get outside.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just got a bottom entry for my Superior Gear hammock. Never had a problem with integrated. Love the removable on on my Warbonnets and Dutchware. Though I like how the Warbonnet net is away from my face when zipped in.
    I just don't want bugs in with me in bug season.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Another benefit of integrated is it prevents things from falling out onto the ground while you sleep.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Although I have a Chameleon now, I remain fond of bottom entry bugnets. Hammock, underquilt , UQP all inside the net. Too warm? Slide the underquilt to the side and your underside is still protected from skeeters.

One utility note: there is usually a cordlock to close the opening under you. Replace it with one of the round, flat cordlocks with the big button on the side. Easy to find and open quickly with one hand.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast