Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL

How many tries did it take you to find the “right” hammock for you?

I’m on my second hammock design, but feeling like the Draumr isn’t going to be my last as I’d like a lighter setup for longer distance backpacking.
    Curious how many hammocks most of you went through (and over how many years or trips) before you found the “right” one.
    And no jokes about the next hammock always being the “right” one...I don’t have enough money for that philosophy!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well....I have enjoyed them all but once in a while one becomes the first string hammock.
    Maybe 20. Maybe 25. Could be more. Never counted.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Well....I have enjoyed them all but once in a while one becomes the first string hammock.
    Maybe 20. Maybe 25. Could be more. Never counted.
    Shug

Ok, maybe not the “perfect” hammock right away, but did you know fairly early on which style you preferred between gathered end, bridge, vs 90deg? Did I leave out any other styles?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I find a simple, gathered-end hammock with a Fronkey bugnet to be the best lay for me. Though I do have a Dutch Chameleon and find it very comfortable, I generally avoid hammocks with integrated bugnets because they can be a bit finicky.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Maybe I'm easy, but getting off the ground was such a vast improvement in comfort that I was happy with my first. I bought a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip as it was one of the first I'd come across back then. Unexpected side benefit was a free Scout hammock that my wife ended up loving. She was an immediate adopter of being off the ground. I have a DIY hammock I use for lounging around the yard or on day hikes.

I just bought a Chameleon to get a little lighter and to try a longer hammock. I love it, but certainly won't trash the Hennessey as it's served me well on many nights. I think multiple hammocks is pretty much inline with suspension changes. Always something to fiddle with.

Put me in a car seat with unlimited adjustability and I'll never be comfortable.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Hit the winner straight out the gate. 12' or + GE for me. I am a side sleeper who tosses and turns and this works the best for me.

It's all about you though.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnicogen View Post
    Ok, maybe not the “perfect” hammock right away, but did you know fairly early on which style you preferred between gathered end, bridge, vs 90deg? Did I leave out any other styles?
    It took trying to know but liked gathered end for the simplicity, if you will, of hanging while backpacking.
    But I am a type that enjoys switching around a bit from time to time.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Pnicogen View Post
    Curious how many hammocks most of you went through (and over how many years or trips) before you found the “right” one.
    It's going to depend at least partly on how set your own camping style is. Andrew Skurka has pointed out that backpacking is a continuum between two disparate activities: hiking and camping. If you're more towards the hiking end, your gear tends to be lighter and smaller so you can move farther and faster. If you're more towards the camping end, your gear may be heavier, bulkier and geared towards comfort.

Part of that gear for me is the hammock, and so as I've hiked more, my hammock has changed. It still changes depending on the needs of the trip. For instance, if I car camp with my wife (which we're planning on this weekend) I'll use my bridge hammock because the weight penalty is null. If I'm on a long distance backpacking trek, I'll use my homemade netless gathered end made from MTN 1.3 for weight savings.

In between those two, I have other hammocks either bought or DIY that differ in length, weight or features. I can envision future situations where I'd want a different hammock for a unique set of circumstances or to solve a particular problem or issue. For instance, I'm mulling over making some sort of insulated hammock. I'd also consider making one with a different fabric, either for comfort or for weight or both. In terms of backpacking, it's taken me since 2014 but I've homed in on the features I like in my hammock system: a netless gathered end hammock as the core of a modular system to which I can add different pieces and parts depending on season/need: bugnets, tarps, quilts, gear storage systems, whatever. But that's just for the one specialized purpose of hiking.

My bottom line answer is that if you're still evolving your camping style, or you vary your camping style a lot, you may not ever come up with the one hammock to rule them all.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    For me a gathered end 11' hit the sweet spot. I started out with a cheap $15 groupon 9' integrated bug net hammock, and although I knew it wasn't the one for me, I knew I was on the right track. I upgraded to a more mainstream 10' with integrated net but it was still not what I was looking for. too short and way too stretchy. I decided to make my own at this point and made an extra wide 12' with no bug net. It was comfortable, the material I made it out of is great but it still had some problems to work out. I then stumbled across my current rig which is a Ridge Outdoor Pinnacle 11' with integrated but removable bug net. So far it hits all the right buttons and I'm happy with it for now.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I got lucky pretty early by ordering a DH Darien with Robic 1.7 and went with their recommended dimensions of 62" width for a 10' (my spec) length. I have other hammocks but it remains my favorite.

While waiting for the Darien — I think the queue at that time was something like 10 weeks! — I got a DW Chameleon in Hexon 1.0 (11'x52") and found it to be quite comfortable. In fact I just used it a few days ago for a 2-night snowshoe trip because I have an asym top cover for it, which I find works quite well.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast