SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnicogen View Post
    Going with a netless, I lose the tieouts. How important are tieouts?
    I find using them more trouble than they are worth so I never bother. Some folks love them however. They make for nice pictures of empty hammocks.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    I find using them more trouble than they are worth so I never bother. Some folks love them however. They make for nice pictures of empty hammocks.
    Gotta agree, I got them on my first 2 hammocks, Chameleon and Darien, staked them out once and didn't see the need and have never used them since. I also don't use quilt hooks!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Gotta agree, I got them on my first 2 hammocks, Chameleon and Darien, staked them out once and didn't see the need and have never used them since. I also don't use quilt hooks!
    How do you rig your UQ?

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    The tie outs, at least on HG hammocks are separate from UQ hooks.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Do you use a bottom entry bug net? Any annoyances with getting in and out with those?
    No annoyance whatsoever, but zippers really annoy me.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    How do you rig your UQ?
    I use some plastic s-biners to attach ends to hammock CLs, and as long as the shock cords have the right amount of tautness I find that they stay in place pretty well. But I don't toss and turn a bunch, so not using quilt hooks might be a problem for those who do, or who switch sides during the night. Just another of those things you discover along the road to hammock nirvana!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Three.

1) I started with those !#@% "net" hammocks. I used them section hiking the AT and various points in Europe through my teen years. Lined with a blue foam pad with the corners rounded off and a sleeping bag. It was more comfortable than a tent. I used this setup for almost a decade. I updated the tarp, fiddled with the suspension, but I stuck with the basic net hammock (for weight, mostly).

Why yes, in fact, I am a stubborn !#%#, thank you for noticing.

2) Insert a 15 year hiatus, during which time I explored the "Ray Way" with tarps and ground dwelling. One day I saw those 9ft hammocks at Academy, and I got one to lounge in after the yard work. I used these for a couple of years. Moved to tree straps, and fiddled a bit with the suspension, but it was still pretty basic. As a post yard work napping spot, these were pretty darn comfie compared to the net hammocks of years gone by.

3) But, eventually, I got "bored" and wanted to get a good hammock. So, I did a bit of research, got the "Ultimate Hang 2" book and DIYd a 11ft gathered end hammock from a table cloth. I have experimented with half a dozen suspension options, and have settled on "the one true, and righteous path (for now)." That was about two years ago. My hammocking "problem" is solved, so I am back to fiddling with other things.

So, there you have it. Three basic hammock setups, used over the course of "half" a lifetime. I like to fiddle, but I tend to settle on what I like pretty quickly and then stick with that while I fiddle with other things.

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Interesting discussion.

I'm a relative noob, switching to hammocks 5 years or so ago. The absolute best, for me, has been my Hammocktent.com ver 2 90deg hammock, with Lukes Carbon Fiber tarp. It's amazingly comfortable, versatile, lightweight and packs small. It uses a pad, and the tarp is relatively small, which are the rubs. The hammock is incredibly comfortable, but I've spent many nights with slight condensation issues. I'm just tired of waking up with a wet back, and have a pile of different pads to show for it trying to solve the problem. If it wasn't so comfortable...

So, that led to a Ridgerunner. I sleep side/fetal. that didn't work with my knees on the hard edges. Love the saddlebags though!

Now, I'm trying a Simply Light Designs Trail Lair, and loving it. The underquilt solves the condensation issue, and having a larger tarp feels so luxurious. I like the Trail Lair so much, I wonder what else is out there, so that will likely lead to picking up another GE or 5. Honestly, when I started this journey, I never thought I'd end up with a Gathered End hammock. It just didn't seem like it would be the right fit for me, but I think it is. It has me considering letting the 90deg setup go. It's quite an investment, but I'm afraid I'll regret it.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimswms View Post
    Interesting discussion.

I'm a relative noob, switching to hammocks 5 years or so ago. The absolute best, for me, has been my Hammocktent.com ver 2 90deg hammock, with Lukes Carbon Fiber tarp. It's amazingly comfortable, versatile, lightweight and packs small. It uses a pad, and the tarp is relatively small, which are the rubs. The hammock is incredibly comfortable, but I've spent many nights with slight condensation issues. I'm just tired of waking up with a wet back, and have a pile of different pads to show for it trying to solve the problem. If it wasn't so comfortable...

So, that led to a Ridgerunner. I sleep side/fetal. that didn't work with my knees on the hard edges. Love the saddlebags though!

Now, I'm trying a Simply Light Designs Trail Lair, and loving it. The underquilt solves the condensation issue, and having a larger tarp feels so luxurious. I like the Trail Lair so much, I wonder what else is out there, so that will likely lead to picking up another GE or 5. Honestly, when I started this journey, I never thought I'd end up with a Gathered End hammock. It just didn't seem like it would be the right fit for me, but I think it is. It has me considering letting the 90deg setup go. It's quite an investment, but I'm afraid I'll regret it.
    What are the details of your Trail Lair (material, options, weight, etc)? I was looking into that one too.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    I suppose I might get more since I've only at this for less than a year.

BUT

So far I am on my second hammock and that seems good enough. As someone said before. Perfect is the enemy of good. I started with a cheap Amazon GE the SO got for yard chilling. Fell asleep in it one evening by accident and kept doing that on purpose going forward Effed around with blankets, pad, sleeping bags rigged as UQs and after lots of research on here and Shug videos bought my WBBB XLC. I almost sent it back (humans get used to things and then don't like change - keeping at it long enough they adapt).

Slept in the XLC in warmish fall weather down to a tad below 0F outside as well as inside in DIY Tensa and I have nothing to complain about really. I don't think about buying any other hammock so far.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast