Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Hit the winner straight out the gate. 12' or + GE for me. I am a side sleeper who tosses and turns and this works the best for me.

It's all about you though.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    I’m curious why a 12’ vs 11’? Are you fairly tall? I’m 5’10” and found the 10’ mantis not comfortable enough.

Hammock
    Chameleon, SLD Voyageur
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, Trailwinder
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I started out with a Hennessey Expedition Classic a few years ago. It was so much better than sleeping on the ground that I could have stopped right there and said I had found the perfect camping system. But I got sucked into reading and researching on here and started making a list of what I liked and disliked about the Hennessey and what other hammocks might work out better. I ended up buying a DH Raven 11' symmetric with removable bugnet and cover. Wow. I love the Raven. I've played around with a couple other hammocks since but find I always go back to the Raven. It is so comfortable and I like that the bugnet is removable. I have a fronkey-style bugnet I use with it sometimes. So for me, I lucked out with my second hammock.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I find a simple, gathered-end hammock with a Fronkey bugnet to be the best lay for me. Though I do have a Dutch Chameleon and find it very comfortable, I generally avoid hammocks with integrated bugnets because they can be a bit finicky.
    Do you use a bottom entry bug net? Any annoyances with getting in and out with those?

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    I too use the donkey style bug not
    Love it
    No issues for me getting in and out
    To get out I slide a leg out of hammock, hook it on the shock cord and slide my other leg out
    Can also stand up inside the net and do tasks without bugs swarming
    Only use it in summer , and the rest of year i use no net

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I started with a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro, used it on one trip, and was sold on hammocks at that point. Within 8 months, I purchased a Dream Hammock Raven, and have had no reason to look for a "better" hammock. I did purchase a Dream Hammock Darien though, for when I want to save a little more weight/bulk- and to also have a good option for when the wife camps with me.

I wouldn't say one is any "better" than the other, but both of my DH hammocks are far superior to the Grand Trunk. So, it really didn't take me long to find the "right" hammock for me.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Exactly two:

If I had never read more about hanging, I may never have abandoned my Hennessey. I really liked the bottom entry, and was comfy sleeping on a pad.

Hammock #2 is my WBBB. I'll try to wear it out so I can upgrade to the XLC, but see no need to collect more.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I think in this case, the best is the enemy of the good.

Turns out that my very first hammock was all I really needed, but I bought 5 more just to make sure I guess!

It’s all a learning process. My key lessons: I like a wide hammock. Good insulation is key to comfort - get at least 10-15 degree warmer that what you think you need. Less is more in terms of specialized hardware, complex straps, etc - keep it simple and it will just work. I prefer a separate bugnet for visibility, ease of use, and simplicity. Tarp doors are good. Dehydrated just add water meals are good. Sawyer squeeze and 2 bottles are great to manage water.

Good luck! I figure, don’t buy 6, but do some exploration. I tried different hammocks to see what I might like. Netted, netless, asym, heavy fabric, light fabric, long, short, etc.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    I think in this case, the best is the enemy of the good.

Turns out that my very first hammock was all I really needed, but I bought 5 more just to make sure I guess!

ItÂ’s all a learning process. My key lessons: I like a wide hammock. Good insulation is key to comfort - get at least 10-15 degree warmer that what you think you need. Less is more in terms of specialized hardware, complex straps, etc - keep it simple and it will just work. I prefer a separate bugnet for visibility, ease of use, and simplicity. Tarp doors are good. Dehydrated just add water meals are good. Sawyer squeeze and 2 bottles are great to manage water.

Good luck! I figure, donÂ’t buy 6, but do some exploration. I tried different hammocks to see what I might like. Netted, netless, asym, heavy fabric, light fabric, long, short, etc.
    Would it be worth getting something like a Chameleon but skip the integrated bug net in favor or a bottom entry net? Meaning if the hammock already has a zipper for a net, would you just go ahead and get the integrated or is a separate net that much better?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnicogen View Post
    Would it be worth getting something like a Chameleon but skip the integrated bug net in favor or a bottom entry net? Meaning if the hammock already has a zipper for a net, would you just go ahead and get the integrated or is a separate net that much better?
    No, the edge of the Chameleon has one half of the zipper. If I don't want to use the Chameleon bugnet or other accessories, I'd just go with a netless hammock and add the bottom entry bugnet.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    No, the edge of the Chameleon has one half of the zipper. If I don't want to use the Chameleon bugnet or other accessories, I'd just go with a netless hammock and add the bottom entry bugnet.
    Going with a netless, I lose the tieouts. How important are tieouts?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast