Hammock
    Dutchwear Chameleon 1.2oz
    Tarp
    HG Dyn 11' w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20⁰3/4UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch straps

Tell me your topquilt + underquilt strategies!

I got into hammocking this past Fall and started off with what I felt was the lowest cost but reasonable quality gear. Since then I've spent about 50 nights in the hammock (all in my back yard except one car camping trip) and have been able to cover a range of temperatures from 66⁰F to -1.7⁰F quite comfortably. So, what's my problem? I've decided I really want to get back into backpacking and would like to cover half a year (mid-April to mid-October) here in NH. The problem is that the very flexible and affordable gear that I bought weighs a ton and doesn't pack well at all. It's about 2-3x the weight and more than 2x the volume of what I'd be willing to backpack with.

I'd like to buy a minimum set of top and underquilts to cover from near freezing to summer temps which would include ~65⁰F on the warmer part of the nights in the White Mountains. I'm a fairly flexible sleeper temperature-wise so I'm considering a strategy of this:
    • 20⁰F 3/4 length underquilt
    • 40⁰F topquilt

A 40⁰F topquilt seems like too little in the colder temps, even with a 20⁰F underquilt, though maybe I could bring a vest/puffy jacket and fuzzy socks to help cut the difference. I'm assuming with a 20⁰F underquilt, I can open the ends, sag it a bit or even hang it next to me just in case to deal with warmer temps.

Is the 20⁰F overkill if I don't plan on being out below freezing? Has anyone done a 40⁰F/20⁰F TQ/UQ? Would I be better going with a 30⁰F/20⁰F TQ/UQ and kicking my feet out in the warmer temps? Should I consider a 30⁰F/30⁰F TQ/UQ combo? 40⁰F/30⁰F TQ/UQ? (That really seems to be not enough on the colder end.)

Am I just trying to do too much with too few quilts? At ~$300 each (for the weight I want) I'd love to keep the TQ+UQ count to two rather than three or four but I also don't want to buy two at the wrong middle temps when I really want four that are higher and lower ranges. I just don't have enough experience here (or the current available sleep conditions to test).

I'd love to hear what strategies and temperature ranges folks have covered with their gear.

Thanks in advance!

-A.

P.S. I plan to have a sit pad in my footbox for colder temps, considering the 3/4 underquilt.
    P.P.S. All temperature ratings above are comfort ratings.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Even before I got into hammocking, I always felt like 20 degree bags were appropriate for New England. Sure, there were summer days when you kept the bag open, but plenty of spring and fall days when you were happy to have a nice warm bag.

In the hammock, I think a 20 degree UQ is a good compromise for a one-UQ option. It's plenty warm enough for 3 1/2 seasons (at least my Warbonnet 20* Yeti is), and you can vent it or go topless in warm weather. I also have a 20* Warbonnet top quilt, and could stop right there and be happy. I just tested the combo at 10 degrees, with a ccf pad for my legs, and was very comfy. Nobody I know ever said they wished they weren't warm and cozy at night.

If you have the bucks for multiple setups, great. If you don't, 20 degree quilts top and bottom cover a whole lot of days in the woods.

Images
    Just get a 20/20 set and you are good for 3 seasons. Don’t overthink it.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My #1 strategy is that my quilts are rated at least 10 degrees warmer than the expected low temperatures. Experience has taught me that is what makes me comfortable. I've never understood the idea that you can get by with a skimpier TQ (for example, a 20* UQ with a 40* TQ). If you've ever seen a 40* TQ, they're pretty skimpy - not something I'd rely on for freezing weather.

As mentioned above, just get a 20/20 quilt set.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    What you (OP) have outlined works perfectly for me, using various clothing items to augment the TQ and sit pad in the foot box when it's colder. But this comes with the usual caveat that we're all different and what works for me might not work for you.

However, I must confess I have an embarrassingly large quilt collection and am known to tweak my kit to a near-clinical OCD level for a particular trip, so I'll use an 11oz TQ and 8oz UQ in the warmest weather, although if I were limited to 40/20 I could very easily live with that.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    I started with a 20F under quilt and used my old 30F sleeping bag as a top quilt.

The 30F bag was bulky and heavy so I purchased a 40F top quilt.

The 40F top quilt was not enough for early spring late fall so I purchased a 20F top quilt

Then I was given a 0F underquilt that I used year round and would swap the 40F and 20F for my topquilt or combine them for the winter.

Between getting quilts for my wife, partial length quilts, ultralight quilts, random prototypes my quilt closet is overflowing.

If I had it to do over again knowing what I know now and wanted to keep the number of quilts to a minimum and have year round down to 0F I'd go with:

0F underquilt
    20 topquilt (or one that can be used as a top or underquilt so I could leave the 0F at home and save weight in the warmer months)
    40 topquilt
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    I consider myself an "average" sleeper - not too warm or too cold.

While I advocate a 20f UQ for most anything below the 40s (even though a properly rated quilt should cover to its low estimate), I have found a TQ grail for me: my 40f Revelation from Enlightened Equipment.

It shouldn't do what it does, but I've been down to the high 20's in that thing, when paired w/my 20f Phoenix. It (the EE) is on spec for weight, but has carried me into the 30s multiple times - wearing only my base layers, socks and beanie. My 30f TQ is for when I expect to be low 30s and below for most trips.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Get to know your TQ...migrate the down often (video below is UQs but the same applies for TQs)......wash it yearly with a good Down Wash.....learn to tuck it in around your shoulders well.
    TQs are so nice in a hammock. A 20º TQ is a great all round choice unless you only camp in the Summer.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchwear Chameleon 1.2oz
    Tarp
    HG Dyn 11' w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20⁰3/4UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch straps
    Whooooo Buddy))))... A reply from Shug! That made my day. ;-D

Great advice and input from all — thank you each (deadeye, leiavoia, SilvrSurfr, cmoulder, Otter1, Shug) for your thoughtful replies!

I think my take-away for my particular situation is that I'll start with a 20⁰F/20⁰F TQ/UQ setup. I already have a UGQ 20⁰F 800+2oz TQ that comes in at 27.3oz 8.2L; I have a HG Phoenix 3/4 20⁰ 950+2oz UQ in my cart. The UGQ 20⁰F TQ is be bulkier and heavier than I want but I should be able to start off with some shorter trips and not need that volume/weight for food. This buys me some time to ponder further the 30⁰F or 40⁰F TQ strategy, though I'm leaning to the 40⁰F if hauling UGQ 20⁰F isn't unbearable. Trying to keep my base weight (for actual, practical Knee Dictated Reasons) to 15lbs, pack to 20-25 w/ food & water.

leiavoia I appreciate your advice but, as you can see, I'm waaaaaay past that point. Overthinker would definitely be my trail name.

P.S. Shug: Yes, indeed I have already watched those videos as well as a Very Significant™ portion of your other videos. Thank you for such great hammocking resources!
    P.P.S. To leiavoia's point, I've considered (and am still considering) downloading the last decade of historical temps from NOAA and evaluating how many days each season are below various temperature+humidity thresholds for the various locations of interest. The curse of being an engineer...
    Last edited by abrooks; 02-17-2021 at 16:12. Reason: Edit for clarity.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Don't get more than 1oz overstuff. It's truly overkill w/HG gear - and in my opinion there's no added benefit.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast