Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    I, too, love the transparency. I have the camo version and on moonlit nights looking up it seems like I have no tarp at all as the moon shines through the 'leaves' of the tarp.

During rainy days the semi-transparent camo also gives a less closed-in feeling.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

In Texas, "hard shade" is an important survival tool all its own. ALL tarps are a little too transparent to really provide "hard shade," but the semi-transparent tarps are worse than average.

Setting up under trees helps.
    Using a mylar blanket with a tarp helps.
    Doubling the tarp up with a 6-12"air gap between layers helps.
    Having a trekking umbrella under the tarp helps.

Using all those techniques at once can get you "hard shade."

Basically, I have nothing against cuban fiber that I do not also have against silnylon....but having a plan to create "hard shade" in the summer is one of the essential skills that you do need to have in hot climates.
    Last edited by Semiuseless; 02-19-2021 at 17:41.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >Now you got me curious about the original post!
    It involved a tent, With a rainfly, illuminated by a chemical glowstick inside. What was opaque to those inside the tent was embarrassingly transparent to those outside the tent - and that was two layers of fabric. But if you’re alone and/or with your best buds (or gals) who cares.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    >Now you got me curious about the original post!
    It involved a tent, With a rainfly, illuminated by a chemical glowstick inside. What was opaque to those inside the tent was embarrassingly transparent to those outside the tent - and that was two layers of fabric. But if you’re alone and/or with your best buds (or gals) who cares.
    Is there anything that has not been addressed by 'Seinfeld'?
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnicogen View Post
    Does your DIY tarp have doors? Also how much did it cost to build?
    No doors, as I live in the sub tropics ....easy to add though.
    Did it work out cheaper with materials & postage to Australia, probably not, but I did learn a new sticky skill set, got to know the material, imagined my perfect tarp shape & brought it to life.

The fun comes when you test hang your ideas for the 1st time (in 12hrs of darkness there's always going to be a weather change, for better or worse !)...still surprised it hasn't torn apart after all these years, it's been through some crazy wide-eyed winds.

Tough & light, just over 250g with tieouts attached from memory.
    Last edited by ofuros; 02-18-2021 at 18:38.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    I, too, love the transparency. I have the camo version and on moonlit nights looking up it seems like I have no tarp at all as the moon shines through the 'leaves' of the tarp.

During rainy days the semi-transparent camo also gives a less closed-in feeling.

Are you happy with the coverage of the HG standard vs the Palace?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnicogen View Post
    Are you happy with the coverage of the HG standard vs the Palace?
    There are so many variables...

Your local weather, your confidence in your ability, your coverage comfort level, your ability to control your hang location, etc..

I think if your experienced and are confident that you can get a good pitch every time, the Standard is sufficient. If you are maybe a little less experienced, or just like an extra measure of protection, then the Palace is probably better for you.

You'll find plenty of folks on both sides of this camp. The Palace is actually the only vendor DCF tarp that is that wide. All others are similar in size to the standard or smaller (without doors).

If I were to buy a new one, I'd probably go with the Palace, but having the Standard with doors, I don't think it's worth the change. (Not at this moment anyway )

Looking back, I gave you more than you asked... Hope I at least answered your question.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    There are so many variables...

Your local weather, your confidence in your ability, your coverage comfort level, your ability to control your hang location, etc..

I think if your experienced and are confident that you can get a good pitch every time, the Standard is sufficient. If you are maybe a little less experienced, or just like an extra measure of protection, then the Palace is probably better for you.

You'll find plenty of folks on both sides of this camp. The Palace is actually the only vendor DCF tarp that is that wide. All others are similar in size to the standard or smaller (without doors).

If I were to buy a new one, I'd probably go with the Palace, but having the Standard with doors, I don't think it's worth the change. (Not at this moment anyway )

Looking back, I gave you more than you asked... Hope I at least answered your question.

All good points. I’m a beginner so would probably benefit from the bigger tarp but also want to keep a reasonably low base weight for long distances. Certainly lots to think about...

As another poster mentioned there are other ways to block the light. A buff slid down over your eyes is a perfect eye shade. Even a silnylon tarp doesn't block the light adequately so something like this is generally a good idea

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    speaking of transparent cuben tarp and all night moon ... yeah, i like it a lot

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast