DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle

Options for nights that the TQ is too much

So... After a section on the AT in November, I'm looking for options to cover warmer nights when my TQ is too much and base layer is not quite enough. Temps were warmer than I had hoped for most nights.

My TQ is a Katabatic Alsek 22°

I bought materials for a DIY Apex TQ, but it's about 12oz and takes up some real estate.

Taking both seems like overkill, but I would be willing to carry the weight(and bulk) if it meant better sleep on warm nights. I also thought in cold weather(below ~25°) I could double up with the Apex on the outside to protect my down from condensation.

Now I'm wondering if I could use the same concept but with a sleeping bag liner.

I'm not necessarily looking to increase the temp of my TQ, just want to have an option for when it's say above 50°.

Looks like I could get a liner anywhere from 6 to 9 ounces, and they pack pretty small.

If that seems reasonable, would silk give me enough warmth on its own? Silk/Cotton blend?(that kinda scares me) or a Thermolite?

Only concern there is the poly against my skin feeling clammy....?

I guess if I have my Merino Base Layer on maybe that wouldn't matter much.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

I use a Snug Pak Jungle Blanket. I packs about the size of a soft ball,

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Loco Libre makes 50F and 60F rated quilts...TQ and UQ. The 75" x 52" TQ comes in at 10.7oz for the 50F and on their website.
    https://www.locolibregear.com/gear.h...lts/c/19561052

They even have a 3/4 length top quilt...that's different:

Our 60° Recon Series Ghost Pepper Topquilt is a 3/4 to full length TQ designed to be used in conjunction with a top layer or jacket.
    875749211.jpg

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Someone mentioned the Layover Travel Blanket elsewhere on the forum. Next time I am summer camping I plan to pick one up.

https://www.graveltravel.com/products/layover-blanket

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Some good options here, but venting your Katabatic on those night ought to be enough for those warmer nights. Below 70 or so, the footbox (20 deg JRB) keeps my feet warm. By the time it's 50, it's up to my armpits. Below 40, it's up to my chin.

BTW, Loosening a UQ suspension or dropping a water bottle inside will give some ventilation when you need it.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCPAT View Post
    Some good options here, but venting your Katabatic on those night ought to be enough for those warmer nights. Below 70 or so, the footbox (20 deg JRB) keeps my feet warm. By the time it's 50, it's up to my armpits. Below 40, it's up to my chin.

BTW, Loosening a UQ suspension or dropping a water bottle inside will give some ventilation when you need it.
    ^^^^^ Things like this work well for me.... even at 75°F I find I will cool off once I'm completely at rest and body metabolism slows down, then gradually cover up feet, legs, arms or whatever it takes to attain that 'just so' temperature. As a backpacker I am loath to carry extra stuff to address one little niche issue.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Yukon
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I have a DIY sleeping bag liner made from taslan fabric. It has a nice feel to it, doesn't weigh much, can be used in the winter for additional comfort, and is perfect for those 70 and up nights here in the south. I used it last weekend for an over-nighter.

Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE Rev 20, JRB MW3
    Suspension
    Becket, J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    Looks like I could get a liner anywhere from 6 to 9 ounces, and they pack pretty small.
    I've seen lighter. Check out Mountain Laurel Designs Mountain Quilt and Bag Liner ($65, 3.0oz), and also Dutchware Quilt Liner ($55, 2.5oz).

FYI, I asked DutchwareGear whether they'd be willing to make a Quilt Liner a little longer. They told me they could, but they won't be taking custom jobs until (at least) Sept.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm taking my Sea to Summmit Coolmax liner this coming week. Temps will be 80-85° daytime and 60° at night.

So here's what I got:

83° at 3pm
    81° at 6pm
    73° at 9pm when I go to bed. That's almost no TQ, no UQ lounging weather.
    62° at 3am

I have a 40° TQ...that's not gonna cut it. I can lie there going to bed with nothing, which I don't prefer. But there's no way I want that ball of down anywhere near me. I can leave it off totally then get it when I wake up cold, but then it will still be too warm.

The liner is 8.5oz and packs to roughly the size of a tennis ball. So basically nothing when mixed in loose with my UQ and clothes. There are lighter options, but this is more of a blanket as well, so keep the cool off me without overheating.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I'm taking my Sea to Summmit Coolmax liner this coming week. Temps will be 80-85° daytime and 60° at night.

So here's what I got:

83° at 3pm
    81° at 6pm
    73° at 9pm when I go to bed. That's almost no TQ, no UQ lounging weather.
    62° at 3am

I have a 40° TQ...that's not gonna cut it. I can lie there going to bed with nothing, which I don't prefer. But there's no way I want that ball of down anywhere near me. I can leave it off totally then get it when I wake up cold, but then it will still be too warm.

The liner is 8.5oz and packs to roughly the size of a tennis ball. So basically nothing when mixed in loose with my UQ and clothes. There are lighter options, but this is more of a blanket as well, so keep the cool off me without overheating.
    I just went thru this very thing in the Adirondacks with lows in the mid 50s-low 60s. I was using a 30F Superior insulated hammock. My least warm down TQ is 30F rated. I did have a 40-50F ancient synthetic liner bag that in retrospect maybe I should have used instead, and would have if I had been in my truck. But packing up on the plane with my Tensa stand, I was concerned with bulk and weight. Anyway, it was mostly too hot. I would hang my TQ over the RL, and put it on when I woke up a bit too cool about 4 or 5 am. Until that happened, all I was wearing was permethrin treated nylon pants and thin polyester top, and treated wool socks(or cotton).

Another thing I considered was leaving a TQ behind and just taking some warmer clothing along to sleep in. In retrospect, I wish I had done that. But I was worried about temps colder than expected, so I took my TQ. But an advantage to clothing is I could layer them. Barring having a 45-50F rated TQ, I wish I had just gone with more clothing. I even could have taken my 2 oz JRB hood for very unexpected temps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast