Hammock
    Chameleon!
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly!

Suggestions for Configuration of Guylines

Hello all! I got into hammock camping this year and bought a beautiful purple silnylon Thunderfly, and yes I only picked silnylon because silpoly didn't come in purple

Anyway- It came with 8 tarp ticks and 100 feet of gray guyline. Not sure what I was thinking with the choice of gray- I tripped over my guylines roughly every 10 minutes on my two backpacking trips last year. For my first setup, I permanently tied the tarp ticks to my stakes (mix of Dutchware's Titanium Ultralight Ascent stakes and MSR Groundhog stakes) with a small loop and temporarily attached the guylines via prussiks for the 4 corners. For the doors/beaks- I permanently knotted the entire guyline onto the stakes and tensioned via the tarp ticks directly attached to the D-rings (which are clipped together with an S-biner) as you can see in the attached images. I used the recommended lengths shown at the end of Warbonnet's tarp setup video: 12 feet for the ridgelines and 6 feet for the corners/beaks. I have not had the chance to experiment with the pull-outs yet and not sure how I want to set them up since I'd like to use my trekking poles for porch mode, but I would like to add lines to those as well if anyone has tips for how best to configure them. I like this configuration due to the ease of finding the stakes later and ability to tension the tarp from inside it. I do not want to leave the guylines permanently attached to the tarp for two reasons:

(1) I'm worried about the tarp ticks wearing on the tarp, and

(2) I like the ease of organization that comes with wrapping the guylines w/hardware around the stakes afterward.

20201215_164505.jpg

20201215_164529.jpg

20201215_164418.jpg

So- to hopefully minimize tripping hazards and also improve my setup now that I've tried it one way, I purchased 50 feet of Reflect-it and 50 feet of Reflective shock cord from Dutchware, as well as his pre-made continuous ridgeline with the prussiks. The shock cord is for the purpose of self-tensioning as is mentioned often around here. I'm realizing now that I probably should have bought more line, but I will probably leave the gray guylines on the tarp "beaks" since I stake those down by the tree where I usually wouldn't be walking (tripping) so that I have enough line for porch mode and maybe the pull-outs. I also do not need to use any of this new line for ridgelines since I got the CRL.

My question for you is this: What lengths should I cut my new lines, and how should I configure them in order to have them permanently attached to the stakes and also the best location for the shock cord in this case? Bonus points if you can tell me how to utilize the pull-outs with my limited supplies.

Sorry in advance for the long post, and thanks for any & all advice you can give!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Warbonnet has pretty good video on some of your thoughts.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon!
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly!
    Shug- I've definitely already watched those videos, I mentioned above that I used their basic tarp video for the first guylines. And I configured my tarp ticks per their video as well. I guess my question is more about how to permanently attach the entire guylines including the tarp ticks onto the stakes.

For some reason I'm having trouble picturing it, and since most people leave their lines attached to the tarp, I'm having trouble finding examples of self-tensioning with shock cord in the case of permanently attaching to stakes instead. Just worried I'm going to mess it up since I have a limited amount of line... wanted to try 8-foot lines for the corners but that doesn't leave me with much for the pull-outs esp if I somehow mess up my first one.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sangfroid3 View Post
    Shug- I've definitely already watched those videos, I mentioned above that I used their basic tarp video for the first guylines. And I configured my tarp ticks per their video as well. I guess my question is more about how to permanently attach the entire guylines including the tarp ticks onto the stakes.

For some reason I'm having trouble picturing it, and since most people leave their lines attached to the tarp, I'm having trouble finding examples of self-tensioning with shock cord in the case of permanently attaching to stakes instead. Just worried I'm going to mess it up since I have a limited amount of line... wanted to try 8-foot lines for the corners but that doesn't leave me with much for the pull-outs esp if I somehow mess up my first one.
    Well, then you will need some good way to connect to the tarp d-rings every set up if all of your guyline is attached to the stake. You could still have the tarp tensioner on the guyline. It will do the job once you attach your guyline to tarp. Or use a loop of shockcord with tarp tick straight to the stake.
    As to lengths you will figure out what is right for you in time. Experiment with cheaper cord first if you don't want to mess up your good cord. No one nails it first time.

Carry forth.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts