Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    DW Beetle-Buckles

Linville Gorge Overnight Trip...Foggy and Wet!

Junior Gorge Rat here...after a few years of dinking and dunking around the gorge, I decided to do a longer trip. I had recently received my new Eldorado and JRB quilts so I wanted to take them out - the Linville Gorge was calling and I went...

I had always wanted to do the Rock Jock Loop, so I set out from the Pinch In parking area and descended down into the gorge...

The ice on the ground had fallen from the trees above. It was like walking on ice from a vending machine. On the steep sections at the higher elevations, I was sweeping it out of the way to get a good foothold. I took my time going down. Eventually the ice faded as I went further down and I was greeted with my first view...

It was foggy and misty...

Eventually I made it to the Linville Gorge Trail. The river was a welcome sight after a steep decent.

I hiked further up the river. The going was slow, as the trail was wet and there were numerous rocks, roots, etc. I underestimated how long it would take, and after several miles it was getting late and my dogs were barking, so I found a campsite next to the river. This was my view from under my Superfly.

I didn’t take any photos of my rig, because I was ready to change out of my wet clothes, eat and get into the hammock. I have a Eldorado heavyweight, with my JRB Greylock 4 and High Sierra Sniveller under the Superfly. I slept very warm and got about ten hours of much-needed shuteye.

I fetched my bear canister and had breakfast from the hammock the next morning.

Got out of camp a little later than I wanted, and got on the trail and realized that I left my water bottle back at a stream, so that cost me some time to retrieve. Finally made it to Conley Cove Trail and headed back up...thank God for the switchbacks!

The going was slow for me, and in my reckoning I decided to skip the Rock Jock and walk the shorter distance from the Conley Cove access back to the Pinch In lot to the car, since I was running out of daylight and had to get home before dark, so I walked the three miles or so down the 105 to the car...

I want to go back and do the proper loop when I can add some more time into my figuring, and hopefully on a clearer day when I can get the full views of the gorge from the Rock Jock. The fog and rain persisted during both days.

I shall return!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    A great trip in fog, mist, and ice. Thanks for taking us along.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinestraw View Post
    Love this shot... great trail tale. It's good to run into foul weather here & there, keeps you on your toes!

Thx for posting

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Looks like a great adventure in the gorge. Nice photos.

Hammock
    Darien or Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG '12 Dyneema w/d
    Insulation
    UGQ/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Becket/soft shack
    Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great time even considering the "wet".

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Gorge miles are tough, but so worth it. Nice report.

Question:

(If there is a better way/place to post this, please let me know.) Two of my siblings and I went on a backpacking trip in early November in the Linville Gorge. We carried the Survivor Filter Pro (pictured below), found on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Survivor-Filt...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    We were using it for the first time, and didn't know about freezing. The first night wasn't a problem, because we hadn't used it before, but the second night, we left it out, and are unsure if it froze or not. The temperature got down below freezing, about 25-27 degrees.
    I was just wondering if anyone has experience with a pump filter, and knows if it can freeze and rupture like the Sawyer Squeeze, or if there is a way to look inside and see if there is a structural problem.
    We are planning our next backpacking trip, and don't want to have any avoidable problems with filtering water. Thank you for any insight.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    DW Beetle-Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSeeker View Post
    (If there is a better way/place to post this, please let me know.) Two of my siblings and I went on a backpacking trip in early November in the Linville Gorge. We carried the Survivor Filter Pro (pictured below), found on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Survivor-Filt...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    We were using it for the first time, and didn't know about freezing. The first night wasn't a problem, because we hadn't used it before, but the second night, we left it out, and are unsure if it froze or not. The temperature got down below freezing, about 25-27 degrees.
    I was just wondering if anyone has experience with a pump filter, and knows if it can freeze and rupture like the Sawyer Squeeze, or if there is a way to look inside and see if there is a structural problem.
    We are planning our next backpacking trip, and don't want to have any avoidable problems with filtering water. Thank you for any insight.
    I have a Sawyer Squeeze filter that I run on a little homemade gravity setup...

If the temps are going to be anywhere near freezing, I take the filter off and stick it in a baggie and sleep with it in my topquilt to keep it from freezing. The insides can be compromised if it freezes and it won’t filter the nasties from the water...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There is just something primordial about a foggy, soggy Linville Gorge.
    The photos really made me miss the big ditch.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast