Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL

Best Ultralight hammock setup

I have the Draumr XL...love the comfort but hate the weight when doing long distances. What do y’all recommend for something at less than 2.5lbs including hammock, tarp, stakes? Also, is DCF worth it for the tarp assuming cost isn’t a factor?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Pnicogen - I see this is your second post so welcome to the forum. If you become a donating member ($10/year), you’ll have Access to several more sub-forums, including one specializing on issues around ultralite gear. I am not a UL’er, though of course I would pick the lighter load of all other issue were equal - BUT THEY’RE NOT. It’s a mistake to think ultralite gear is exactly like their heavier counterparts, except lighter and more expensive. Often - not always of course - you give up some durability or other characteristics. Not that that is bad - just be aware of it. A question like “… is DCF worth it …” seems simple. But DCF tarps have their special characteristics that some find unappealing even though they are ounces lighter that alternative tarps.

So there are lots of value judgements. You indicated that, “…pretending you won the lottery, what would you get …” But still … for some it’s worth it go get a DCF tarp. For others, they’d rather invest the money in getting 950 fill TQ and UQ instead.

If you are short enough, you can get by with a ¾ length UQ and shorter (if that’s an option with the vendor) TQ. - But I see you have an XL hammock so maybe that’s not an option for you.

A lot has to do with where you are hiking and for what seasons. For example, you mention stakes but for may places, you don’t need stakes. There are branches and rocks to use as anchors. If you plan to good weather hiking, maybe a WB MiniFly would be enough. So you see - a lot of the choices depend on the physical and climatological environment.

I’m sure you’ll get a lot of suggestion here, but tell us what your pack weights now?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Cougarmeat- thanks for the reply. I’m 5’10”, so I probably didn’t need the XL. My last hike pack weight was an insane 38lbs (27lb baseweight). Without changing to lighter gear but removing non-essentials I can get to a baseweight of 24lbs. I’m swapping my 5lb Baltoro pack for a much lighter HMG, simplifying my cooking system, and possibly going lighter on my sleep system. If I go with an ultralight tent system I can get my baseweight to a very manageable 17 lbs. would love to have a similar baseweight with a hammock system too.

Think about what the switch means. You are considering replacing A) tent(w rainfly), sleeping bag, sleeping pad for B) hammock, UQ, TQ, tarp (not why we call them tarps!)/rain fly. You probably are going to find it hard to save much in terms of weight, especially compared to an ultra-light tent. It's more about really wanting to sleep in a hammock and that can be for many, many reasons. FWIW, all other things being equal, most (not all) find a longer hammock to be more comfortable. That will add a few ounces. I'm not saying that you should stick with sleeping on the ground. Just make the change for the right reasons. FWIW, I'm equally comfortable in a hammock or in a tent. I DO like being high and dry and out of the dirt though most of the time.

(38 lbs seems less insane compared to the old days with external frame packs, etc.!!!)

Do I now have to worry about being censured by my state party?
    Last edited by TominMN; 02-17-2021 at 07:47.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    I’d plan to keep my top quilt for both tent or hammock setups and have a good ‘nuff bottom quilt (Kammok bobcat) already. I’m curious how much weight savings over the draumr I could get from a lighter hammock, lighter bobcat UQ vs XL pad needed with draumr, and lighter rainfly. I too like the idea of staying above the dirt, thus would like options for UL hammock/rainfly in my arsenal in addition to a UL tent setup.

You can definitely cut a lot of weight by switching out that Draumr for something else...

You can go pretty darn light with hammock, bug net, and a minimum-sized fly. But,... think about trading features (including weather and bug protection) for ounces when weighing (no pun intended) the options.
    Last edited by TominMN; 02-16-2021 at 14:12.

Images
    This is my UL rig when a bugnet is required:

hammock - Dream Hammock Darien, 11'x62", 1.3 MTN XL (in stuff sack, with tie outs) - 15.19 oz
    hammock suspension - 2x12' - 1.9 Kevlar straps (wrapped in hair tie) - 1.73 oz
    hammock suspension - 2x evo loop, 7/64" Amsteel - 0.25 oz
    tarp - Hammock Gear Dyneema Palace, 11' (in stuff sack, with repair tape) - 9.55 oz
    tarp suspension - Autumn Ultralight Figure 8 ridgeline with Nama Claws & small spliced loops - 0.88 oz
    tarp guylines - 2x5' + 2x10' - 2mm Lawson Glowire - 1.10 oz
    tarp guylines - 4x3' - 3/32" shock cord (tarp doors) - 0.58 oz
    tarp stakes - 4x titanium shepherd hook + 4x DAC aluminum V-stake, small (in 1.43 DCF stake bag) - 2.37 oz
    Total = 31.64 oz

or an even more minimal setup with a fronkey style net and a narrower tarp without doors:

hammock - Dutchware netless, 11'x58", Hexon 1.0 with dual knotty mod (in stuff sack) - 8.46 oz
    bugnet - Dutchware bottom entry bugnet, 11' (no stuff sack, goes with hammock) - 5.67 oz
    hammock suspension - 2x12' - 1.9 Kevlar straps (wrapped in hair tie) - 1.73 oz
    hammock suspension - 2x evo loop, 7/64" Amsteel - 0.25 oz
    tarp - Hammock Gear Dyneema Hex Tarp, 11' (in stuff sack, with repair tape) - 5.43 oz
    tarp suspension - 30' Lash-It with Dutch Hook + Dutch Fly + 2x small spliced loops - 0.67 oz
    tarp guylines - 2x5' + 2x10' - Zpacks 1.3mm Z Line - 0.42 oz
    tarp stakes - 4x titanium shepherd hook (in 1.43 DCF stake bag) - 0.95 oz
    Total = 23.58 oz
    Last edited by cmc4free; 02-16-2021 at 14:21.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnicogen View Post
    Cougarmeat- thanks for the reply. I’m 5’10”, so I probably didn’t need the XL. My last hike pack weight was an insane 38lbs (27lb baseweight). Without changing to lighter gear but removing non-essentials I can get to a baseweight of 24lbs. I’m swapping my 5lb Baltoro pack for a much lighter HMG, simplifying my cooking system, and possibly going lighter on my sleep system. If I go with an ultralight tent system I can get my baseweight to a very manageable 17 lbs. would love to have a similar baseweight with a hammock system too.
    You can get to a 17 lb base for sure. May take some cash output on newer lightweight gear and some stripping down but not hard. I got my 3 season 21ºF base load to 16/17 pounds. For sure you can pack lighter insulation than me perhaps as you are in Florida and me in Minnesota.
    I have DCF tarps but prefer my silnylon or silpoly tarps as the pack down smaller and only a bit heavier when all is said and done. Plus I like that they are not as translucent. Though others feel differently.
    I know you can do it~~~~
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    You can shave a fair amount of weight if you choose no bugnet, but being in Florida it's not really an option. You can get a bottom entry bugnet that replaces the heavy zipper with shock cord to close up the net.

Depending on your body weight, you can choose the lighter hammock fabrics, like the Hexon 1.0 or that new Cloud 71 that's been popping up.

Tarps...DCF is the lightest by far. If you're all about the weight, Dutch has the 11' Asym DCF at under 3.3 oz, plus 50ft of Zing-It weighs just under an ounce. But, Florida. I'd opt for something like the HG Winter Palace or at least the HG Standard with doors.

Stakes...again, if you wanna go minimalist, can't beat those titanium shepherd hooks for weight. Or like cougarmeat points out, look for sticks and rocks.

Take a second look at your quilts...you can save weight there. That Kammock Bobcat weighs in at 20 oz, not incl suspension according to their website. The HG Premium 40F Incubator is just under 16 oz. The 3/4 length Phoenix is under 12 oz.

You didn't mention hammock suspension, but that's another rabbit hole of weight savings vs. ease of use. Becket hitch, whoopies, straps, daisy chains...pick your poison.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnicogen View Post
    I have the Draumr XL...love the comfort but hate the weight when doing long distances. What do y’all recommend for something at less than 2.5lbs including hammock, tarp, stakes? Also, is DCF worth it for the tarp assuming cost isn’t a factor?
    How light do you want to go, and for what night time low temp? For warm weather (say night time low of 50°F) it is entirely possible to get a complete hammock/tarp/quilt setup (including hammock suspension and tarp guy lines) that comes in around 40oz (2.5lb).

This is such a setup:

It consists of a HG Hex tarp (DCF) with Lawson 2mm cordage, Dutchware Half-wit hammock with Kevlar webbing for suspension, and Enlightened equipment top and under quilts. This setup combined with other UL-specific kit can easily yield a summer baseweight under 8lb, and total pack weight of 12-16lb is not hard to achieve depending upon how much food and water are carried.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast