Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Quote Originally Posted by H. Hastings View Post
    The setup I used for most of my AT Sobo comes in at just over 2.5 lbs (2.69 to be exact).

Warbonnet Ridgerunner w/carbon fiber spreader bars
    Hammock Gear Palace w/carbon fiber tarp poles for tie outs
    6 Easton aluminum stakes.

Most comfortable sleep on trail. I switched between 40* and 20* quilts so that weight varied a bit but overall base weight was about 11 lbs +/-.
    Do you tent to side sleep or back sleep on the RR? Your weight seems fairly reasonable with a bridge. Coming from the Draumr, I would consider the RR if the weight could stay low.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Pnicogen, I switch between a RR and one of several gathered end hammocks. With both the GE and RR, I usually start out on my back. But soon - much sooner with the RR - my muscles relax enough that I’m comfortable rolling over on my side. In either case, I have to be careful to keep the TQ tucked in. With the RR, I’m not 100% on my side - sort of half way between back and full side sleeping. But the sides of the RR give enough support that I’m completely relaxed.

With the GE, by the early morning hours, I can sort of crunch into a fetal position and roll on my side a bit. As with the RR, I’m not completely on my side, but I'm not on my back.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnicogen View Post
    Have you ever made a tarp?
    I haven’t made a tarp yet but I just finished a TQ that I think turned out pretty well. It was a lot harder than the UQ I made

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow 20/Lynx
    Suspension
    Spider/Poly straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnicogen View Post
    Do you tent to side sleep or back sleep on the RR? Your weight seems fairly reasonable with a bridge. Coming from the Draumr, I would consider the RR if the weight could stay low.
    I sleep both on my back and on my side. No trouble doing either (I do use a pillow). I'm very happy with what my current set-up weighs. Could I get lighter by using a different hammock or a tent? Probably, but my set-up have been evolving over several years and the few extra ounces I might carry are more than offset by being well rested when I start my day on trail.
    Harlan Hastings
    NPT Nobo 2013; AT Sobo 2020

Hammock
    Eno
    Those conversations seem really helpful for my upcoming hammock camping.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    This is how I did it. Thanks Sheltowee and Bonefire

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...od-amp-Clothes
    Signature suspended

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    This is my UL rig when a bugnet is required:

or an even more minimal setup with a fronkey style net and a narrower tarp without doors:

hammock - Dutchware netless, 11'x58", Hexon 1.0 with dual knotty mod (in stuff sack) - 8.46 oz
    bugnet - Dutchware bottom entry bugnet, 11' (no stuff sack, goes with hammock) - 5.67 oz
    hammock suspension - 2x12' - 1.9 Kevlar straps (wrapped in hair tie) - 1.73 oz
    hammock suspension - 2x evo loop, 7/64" Amsteel - 0.25 oz
    tarp - Hammock Gear Dyneema Hex Tarp, 11' (in stuff sack, with repair tape) - 5.43 oz
    tarp suspension - 30' Lash-It with Dutch Hook + Dutch Fly + 2x small spliced loops - 0.67 oz
    tarp guylines - 2x5' + 2x10' - Zpacks 1.3mm Z Line - 0.42 oz
    tarp stakes - 4x titanium shepherd hook (in 1.43 DCF stake bag) - 0.95 oz
    Total = 23.58 oz
    Curious why you went with kevlar straps for the suspension? Aren't they heavier than the dyneema options?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nquinn View Post
    Curious why you went with kevlar straps for the suspension? Aren't they heavier than the dyneema options?
    If you're referring to the various types of UHMWPE webbing, it's because they typically bunch up badly after a very short time of actual use and are subsequently very hard to flatten out, at least on the trail. This makes them look and handle very similar to a cord, not a strap. My experience is that the webbing near the tree can remain somewhat flat for a while, although if you attach it around smaller trees the bunching eventually works its way all the way up to the sewn loop and makes it a real hassle to flatten out even a 3-4' section where it goes around trees.

I recently flattened out two 12' straps at home and it took about 20 minutes, see-sawing 8-10" sections over a chair arm until friction warmed them up a bit.

Comparison of the typical (RBTR Venom) UHMWPE webbing bunched up and flattened out:

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345