Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    I think I’ll likely only camp down to the low 30s. I’m 165lbs so lightweight materials should be fine. I would only consider something with a bug net as most of what I do is in the humid buggy south.
    I didn’t particularly find my only other hammock data point (Kammok mantis) very comfortably. Maybe an 11 footer would help? Mainly had issues with knee hyperextension and couldn’t find a diagonal lay that fixed it. I alternate between back and side sleeping.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Best (insert hammock goal here ) hammock is the next one you buy
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnicogen View Post
    I think I’ll likely only camp down to the low 30s. I’m 165lbs so lightweight materials should be fine. I would only consider something with a bug net as most of what I do is in the humid buggy south.
    I didn’t particularly find my only other hammock data point (Kammok mantis) very comfortably. Maybe an 11 footer would help? Mainly had issues with knee hyperextension and couldn’t find a diagonal lay that fixed it. I alternate between back and side sleeping.
    In that case you could get something like a DH Darien made with Mtn 1.2 and a light quilt set and DCF tarp and still keep it around 3lbs total for the whole kaboodle.

cmc4free's weight break-out a few posts back is a good guide/sampler of what weight ranges to expect for truly UL hammock kit.

Looking at the Kammock Mantis spec, they indicate 120" (10ft) x 52" so it does not surprise me that it's a bit cramped and hard to get flat on the diagonal. I'm 5'9" and got my recommended specs direct from the Smurfs at Dream Hammock, which is 10' length (my preference for shorter hangs) and 62" width. I've used this hammock (I have 2 actually, one in Robic 1.2 and one in 1.7) many times and find it supremely comfortable.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    In that case you could get something like a DH Darien made with Mtn 1.2 and a light quilt set and DCF tarp and still keep it around 3lbs total for the whole kaboodle.

cmc4free's weight break-out a few posts back is a good guide/sampler of what weight ranges to expect for truly UL hammock kit.

Looking at the Kammock Mantis spec, they indicate 120" (10ft) x 52" so it does not surprise me that it's a bit cramped and hard to get flat on the diagonal. I'm 5'9" and got my recommended specs direct from the Smurfs at Dream Hammock, which is 10' length (my preference for shorter hangs) and 62" width. I've used this hammock (I have 2 actually, one in Robic 1.2 and one in 1.7) many times and find it supremely comfortable.
    Yeah, I didn't include insulation for 2 reasons. First, it wasn't in the initial question, but more importantly because that opens up a completely different, multi-faceted discussion.

But for reference, here are the weights of my insulation sets, by temp rating:

50°
    TQ: 50° Loco Libre Operator Series Ghost Pepper, 7D, 900FP - 9.48 oz
    UQ: 50° Loco Libre Operator Series Habanero, 10D, 900FP - 8.56 oz

40°
    TQ: 40° Enlightened Equipment Enigma, 7D, 950FP - 12.19 oz
    UQ: 40° Hammock Gear Premium Phoenix, 10D, 950FP +1oz - 12.02 oz

TQ: 0° Hammock Gear Premium Burrow, 10D, 950FP +2oz - 25.62 oz
    UQ: 0° Hammock Gear Premium Incubator, 10D, 950FP +2oz - 26.64 oz

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    I can only imagine how full your gear closet must be with all those! I’m driving my wife crazy with my minimal gear already...I think she’ll kick me out of the house if I have that many options to store!

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Stupid question, how do I make sure the person’s message I’m responding to shows up in my reply back?

Images
    Stupid question, how do I make sure the person’s message I’m responding to shows up in my reply back?
    Hit the button "reply with quote" in the post you want to reply to.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Never mind...figured it out. I thought the “reply with quote” meant that I wanted to attach a pithy quote from some historical or pop culture figure.

Images
    I can only imagine how full your gear closet must be with all those! I’m driving my wife crazy with my minimal gear already...I think she’ll kick me out of the house if I have that many options to store!
    If you say you're going to camp into the 30's, you may require a 20° quilt set. If you only have one set, do you want it to serve the lowest temps you'll encounter? Or suit you better for the temps you'll be camping in the most? Maybe you can find ways to supplement a lightweight 40° quilt to get you down to 30°. Extra clothing, warm water bottles, adding a sleeping pad, and using an underquilt protector are all ways to stay a little warmer than your quilt itself will keep you. Those kinds of tricks might be necessary to avoid having a selection of quilts, unless you simply choose one that will keep you warm on even your coldest outings.

In IL and WI where I usually hang, the weather can be from -20° to +80° at night through the extremes of the year. So I do have a range of quilts to pick from. I even have a few more than the ones I listed above, that are in the 20°-25° range, but they are not what I'd consider UL for their rating.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Like cmc4free suggested, the temp rating of the gear may not be your temp rating. For example, I sleep warm. But I still like my gear to be rated with a 10 degree cushion - because there a lot going on besides temperature. You have wind, rain, humidity. Or a light roll of ReflexIt might be all you need to mitigate a chill.

You mentioned a knee issue. Because you are going light weight, instead of a synthetic fill camp pillow, you can get an inexpensive inflatable pillow to support one knee. It packs small when not in use and weighs nearly nothing. It doesn’t have to be high-tech expensive because you are not using it for warmth. If you have a small throw pillow at home, you can try that out in various positions, either knee, and see it it adjusts things just enough to eliminate the strain.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast