Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Question 0.5oz/yd (e.g. NS50) Bottom Entry Bugnet

Hi Y'all,

I am trying to save pack space for backpack camping, bikepacking, etc. I've got warbonnet hammocks, and added a Simple Light Designs netless hammock and bottom entry bugnet that's 0.7oz/yd. I'd like to get a NS50 one if possible.

I know Ripstop by the Roll (RSBTR) have a Bottom Entry Bugnet MYOG kit but I want to buy something ready made as I don't have a sewing machine or the time and patience at the moment.

I know Butt in a Sling (BIAS) have the Nano Buginator SUL, which is basically what I want to buy, but it seems they are nearly defunct and I'm wary I'll be throwing my money in the bin.

I've done some googling and looked at a bunch of vendors. I can't find any that are a simple bottom entry bugnet. I've found some that are close but have zippers etc.

Are there any other vendors that make a product comparable to the Nano Buginator SUL?
    Should I just buy from BIAS? (anyone recently done this and gotten what they bought)?

I saw Dutchware brought out his 0.71oz/yd Cloud 71 fabric, and from what I've read it packs like 1.3oz. So I'm guessing NS50 will pack smaller. I care about minimising pack-size most of all, so if there's any fabric that will block small insects (noseeums), and allow airflow and visibility, that packs the smallest - I'd like to know, and I'd like a bugnet that gets coverage with minimal material so it packs smaller. From my research I think the bottom entry bugnets vs the slide-over 360 bugnets use the least material and pack the smallest.

I saw Arrowhead Equipment make the Half Bugnet (HUG), designed by Derek Hansen. Does any vendors make a NS50 version? I can't find any.

Thanks,
    BigBenny

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Hammock Gear has one, at 6.5oz/184g: https://hammockgear.com/bottom-entry-bug-net/

Dutch has them too, 163g for the 11': https://dutchwaregear.com/product/bottom-entry-bugnet/

I think both are using the 0.7 mesh. Maybe contact them and see if they could use the NS50?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yeah I looked at them and saw they are 0.7oz. I looked at quite a lot of vendors. Only NS50 options I could find was the MYOG DIY kit from RSBTR, and BIAS. I had asked SLD and Jared said he doesn't work with NS50 (basically because its a PITA).
    I can start reaching out to other vendors to see if they'll do it as a custom, but was hoping for find some that do it normally or someone that's gotten one custom before.

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    If your interested in a ns50, and can sew, look at the draped bugnet. Been using a 0.9 for years and love it. I just made a version in ns50. Weight 3.1oz, hard to beat for a full net.
    Beware ns50 does not like omni tape, it sticks to and rips the mesh easily.
    The hug is fine but has some issues you may not see till you use it. It leaves less area for your head then you might imagine, esp on 11' and longer. It does not work with peak shelfs or anything else at attaches to the ridgline.
    And yes, ns50 is a pain to work with. Esp rolling hems. Stuff dosent fold easily and is very slippery.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I can't sew but tempted to learn for this and future projects. Would need to get a sewing machine.

What is the difference between draped bugnet and bottom-entry bugnet? Is there any examples of what you mean (link to product or forum post or image)?

I emailed BIAS but no reply yet. Thinking if I order it will be the same crickets.

I'm tempted to buy the RSBTR DIY kit, but then need to get a sewing machine and learn how to sew, and NS50 being a pain might not be the best project to start on. Pondering it.

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    https://diygearsupply.com/diy-guides/bug-netting/
    This style was more commong a fear years ago. It offers full protection with less material, and simpler to make vs others. They use weight (rocks or whatever) in little pockets to keep the net sealed against the hammock. No zippers or shock cord. No netting under the hammock. Downside, the seal is made by pressure and can open as you move around. Not the best for super buggy conditions.
    Bottom entry uses cordage to snug the net against the hammock and quilt for a tighter seal. But mildly harder to get out, and that's the big turn off for me. Harder (not hard) to put on too as you need to feed the suspension into it. Draped, you just throw it over top and push it like a curtain to get out.
    Side entry are generally zippered on the side.
    Get a cheaper or used machine. Start with a pillow, or stuff sack or a hammock. Ripstop 1.1 is cheap and easy to sew. I wouldn't start with ns50. It's rewarding to make something you use, even if its real simple. Added benefit is that it doubles as a household sewing machine for fixing clothes, blankets, whatever.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    Sewing the lighter no see um could be done by hand. You don't need a sewing machine. Beautiful clothing was sewn by hand long before the arrival of the sewing machine. Use proper thread and make your stitches small (straight stitch). Might even be easier than using a sewing machine. You will get the design you want and the pleasure of admiring the utility of your creation.

Build your skills for self sufficiency - sewing included.

My $0.02.
    Nancy

Hammock
    Dutch net less wide
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20's / SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps/no harware
    Here is a thought. I recently have started using my Dutch bottom entry bug net as a giant stuff sack for my entire sleep system. I leave my top quilt inside the hammock, and bottom quilt attached to the continuous loops. I then cinch the bottom entry part of the bug net closed to contain every thing. Then i stuff the entire thing in my pack, leaving a continuous loop on top for easy set up. Not only is it faster and easier to set up this way, but would eliminate the weight and bulk of 4 stuff sacks for you. Not that thats a lot, but would probably be comparable to the bulk and weight a dutch bugnet vs a bias nano. Plus you would have a stronger bugnet.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Cool idea chromedome. I sometimes do something similar with quilt storage sack. I walk one end of the fully loaded hammock to the other and attach. Then stuff the whole thing into the sack and cinch is just below the CLs, disconnect and stuff it all into my pack.

Makes moving camp a breeze.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Quote Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
    Here is a thought. I recently have started using my Dutch bottom entry bug net as a giant stuff sack for my entire sleep system. I leave my top quilt inside the hammock, and bottom quilt attached to the continuous loops. I then cinch the bottom entry part of the bug net closed to contain every thing. Then i stuff the entire thing in my pack, leaving a continuous loop on top for easy set up. Not only is it faster and easier to set up this way, but would eliminate the weight and bulk of 4 stuff sacks for you. Not that thats a lot, but would probably be comparable to the bulk and weight a dutch bugnet vs a bias nano. Plus you would have a stronger bugnet.
    No concerns about damage to the net?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast