Hammock
    DIY- Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY- RSBTR
    Insulation
    HG20°TQ, HG 20°UQ
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    I am 6'2" so I like a hammock around 64" wide. My thinking (anyone with experience please chime in) is that with the cloud 71 only being 58 or so inches wide; having a longer hammock would mean I wouldn't have to lay on such a diagonal to get a the same flat lay??? I know in south America the hammocks are narrow but very long like 13+ feet long not sure if that means anything but figured I might try it out.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSmith View Post
    I am 6'2" so I like a hammock around 64" wide. My thinking (anyone with experience please chime in) is that with the cloud 71 only being 58 or so inches wide; having a longer hammock would mean I wouldn't have to lay on such a diagonal to get a the same flat lay??? I know in south America the hammocks are narrow but very long like 13+ feet long not sure if that means anything but figured I might try it out.
    Is there a calculator that factors in height and weight to determine optimal length?

Hammock
    DIY- Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY- RSBTR
    Insulation
    HG20°TQ, HG 20°UQ
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Not sure...

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 XL
    Tarp
    WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dyneema/MSH
    I go 11.5 because I can with DIY but honestly I think 11 is probably nearly as comfortable for heights up to 6 feet. The one disadvantage of a longer hammock and it's a pretty big deal is that you need either a longer tarp. Also it decreases your suitable tree options. With my 11.5 length I'm still able to use my 11 foot tarp but I have to be much more finicky about making sure it's centered properly and don't have much room for error. A 12 foot tarp would fit much better and if I went with a 12 hammock a 13 foot tarp would fit much better. Sometimes it's hard to find trees that far apart.

Hammock
    DIY- Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY- RSBTR
    Insulation
    HG20°TQ, HG 20°UQ
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    That's a great point Dutchm. Thanks, I think you have made up my mind. Gonna try your route with the 11.5, cause I really like my 12' tarp and it has doors so I can stretch it out a bit. Thanks again!

Hammock
    DIY- Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY- RSBTR
    Insulation
    HG20°TQ, HG 20°UQ
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Well I did it...11.5' in the cloud 71. Took it on a 2 night 20mile trek and while lounging in it the second morning I had a finger nail get caught in the fabric making a small puncture just as I was adjusting my seated position...and you see the outcome! I really liked the fabric; being able to see through it was very nice and of course the weight savings. I am usually pretty good to my gear but this is a bit too delicate for me. Back the the trusty Hexon 1.6. Hopefully you guys have better luck than me!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY- Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY- RSBTR
    Insulation
    HG20°TQ, HG 20°UQ
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    And another view...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Ouch! Well, better the second morning than the first morning! Hope you didn't get hurt.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Yikes!

I was witness to a failure with Monolite and was definitely taking a very cautious wait-and-see view of this material. Like you, I think I'll stick with Hexon 1.6 or Mtn 1.7 etc.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSmith View Post
    Well I did it...11.5' in the cloud 71. Took it on a 2 night 20mile trek and while lounging in it the second morning I had a finger nail get caught in the fabric making a small puncture just as I was adjusting my seated position...and you see the outcome! I really liked the fabric; being able to see through it was very nice and of course the weight savings. I am usually pretty good to my gear but this is a bit too delicate for me. Back the the trusty Hexon 1.6. Hopefully you guys have better luck than me!
    Hardcore for giving it a try during a trip man! I'd be scared. At least you got one night! I like my Hexon 1.6 as well. Solid, comfy, pretty darn light.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast