DIY 11.5 XL
    Tarp
    WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dyneema/MSH

New cloud71 fabric

Received my cloud71 fabric yesterday and cranked out a new hammock last night. I really like the fabric and feel like this will be my new go to hammock. Netless and 5.2 ounces total.

[AIMG]CAF021E2-5126-440E-A32C-042F14CEE6AC.jpg[/AIMG]

What was the cost per yard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 XL
    Tarp
    WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dyneema/MSH
    Got it through dutchwaregear so 8.00 per yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchm View Post
    Got it through dutchwaregear so 8.00 per yard.
    That is actually pretty reasonable for such a bespoke fabric.

Do you have sewing tips? I have never worked with a material like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 XL
    Tarp
    WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dyneema/MSH
    I was worried that the fabric might be a little difficult to sew because I find no-see-um mesh a real pain to sew. I'm definitely no where close to a good seamster but I found this fabric very easy to work with and sews like most any other fabric. I simply did a rolled hem on the sides to hide the selvage and then about a 1.5 inch rolled hem on either end with three lines of stitching. I made it 11.5' in total length and as wide as the fabric minus the hem. Time will tell as to durability but right now I feel like it will replace my previous hammocks completely. It seems to offer very good support and not a lot of stretch. It's not as silky as my hyper-D fabric but not uncomfortable at all. And I love the weight savings. It will be cooler in the summer and I doubt I will notice a difference in the winter with the UQ and UQ protector. Now to be honest, you can buy a completed netless for not a whole lot more but I do get a certain satisfaction out of sewing my own and I can do some custom sizing.

Hammock
    DIY- Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY- RSBTR
    Insulation
    HG20°TQ, HG 20°UQ
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    If it's not too personal can I ask your size and weight sir? I am 6"2 and 210 and wondering how the width and weight rating will work for me. I am currently using a DIY 1.6 Hexon and no see-um that's 68" wide by 11'.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 XL
    Tarp
    WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dyneema/MSH
    Good question. I'm around 5'11" and between 215-220lbs. We are on the upper end of the rated weight but after seeing the weight test on youtube and after laying in the finished hammock first hand I don't think there is anything to worry about. My other primary hammock is Hyper-D 1.6 and as far as support, I just don't see a significant difference. I don't really like a stretchy fabric and prefer a firmer hammock but I'm pleasantly surprised with this fabric. Sure there is a little more sag than my 1.6 HD but it just doesn't feel like that much. Using my same pre-set suspension, I had to raise it a 1.5-2" to get the same sit height. It also appears to be pretty durable but I haven't had it out on the trail yet. I do like the skin feel of the Hyper-D material more as the cloud fabric texture is a little rougher. IMO the weight savings will be totally work these minor differences if the durability holds up over the long haul. As others reviewers have mentioned calf ridge seems to be even less of a concern with this fabric compared to others.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchm View Post
    Received my cloud71 fabric yesterday and cranked out a new hammock last night. I really like the fabric and feel like this will be my new go to hammock. Netless and 5.2 ounces total.

[AIMG]CAF021E2-5126-440E-A32C-042F14CEE6AC.jpg[/AIMG]
    Any plans for a net? If so what would you use?

Hammock
    DIY- Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY- RSBTR
    Insulation
    HG20°TQ, HG 20°UQ
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Thanks for that great info! I think I am going to try the cloud 71. Just don't know if I am going to do a full DIY, or just mod the net less Dutch offers...or maybe just get a Chameleon and be done with it!���� If I do a full DIY might go with 12'er and see what that's like. Anyway I am just rambling, thanks again for sharing.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenSmith View Post
    Thanks for that great info! I think I am going to try the cloud 71. Just don't know if I am going to do a full DIY, or just mod the net less Dutch offers...or maybe just get a Chameleon and be done with it!���� If I do a full DIY might go with 12'er and see what that's like. Anyway I am just rambling, thanks again for sharing.
    Curious, why 12’? Do you think it would increase comfort? How tall are you? I’m trying to figure out what length may be best for me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast