Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First Time Hammocker: Are all 11' hammocks essentially the same?

Hello everybody! I am brand new to the hammock world and after several days of research, I decided to go with a DH Darien, Warbonnet Minifly, and HG quilts.

I decided on the Darien due to everyone saying how comfortable it is. However, I have found the HG Wanderlust kit to be an excellent deal. I would go that route and save some momey, I am just worried that I won't be able to get as comfortable as I would in the Darien.

So my question is, are all 11' hammocks essentially the same? Besides the asymmetrical lay of the HG and customization of the Darien and such, is there any noticeable difference between the HG zippered bug net hammock vs the DH Darien?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Much of it is choice of fabrics, width, single or double layer. Also suspensions.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    You will more than likely have to answer that question yourself, after burning your bank account to the ground buying them all. But yeah, what Shug said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    The HG bug net hammock is symmetrical. Don't know much more than that.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    For me, they basically are. I can grab any of my hammocks and be comfortable and not regret my decision. Some folks have a difficult time finding a hammock they are comfortable with however.

I've had both the Darien and HG hammock and while I would say that the Darien is more comfortable, I need to lay in them side by side in order to make that determination. Either is more than comfortable enough.

Like Shug said, the features, function, and fabric are all a bit different, although very similar. It's kind of like cars - they all basically do the same thing to a reasonable degree, but they each have their niche. For example, of the 2 you mentioned, if I were going camping for a few days in nice weather, I might take the HG because I can leave the net at home or just remove it for better visibility. The Darien, however, like all their hammocks is extremely well made. I mean, better than most clothing. The fit, finish, attention to detail, all materials is amazing. Nothing wrong with the HG there either, it's just the Darien really stands out for me. The Chameleon is a buy now and keep adding to it design which is neat.

After all my buying rampage, I've settled on Simply Light Design's Voyageur as my go to hammock. I love how it feels and that it has no Net. I just don't like dealing with zippers all the time and prefer a detached net. But that's me, most folks seem to much prefer a built-in net.

So, all basically the same, but like anything the devil is in the details! Good luck and welcome aboard! . You can't make a bad choice.

Thanks for the responses everyone! From what it sounds like, the only way to find out what is gonna work best for me is to try all of them. Which is annoying, but understandable, considering how many options are out there. I think I am gonna go with the Darien since I want a different tarp than what the HG comes with anyways. Thanks everyone!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snel6424 View Post
    Thanks for the responses everyone! From what it sounds like, the only way to find out what is gonna work best for me is to try all of them. Which is annoying, but understandable, considering how many options are out there. I think I am gonna go with the Darien since I want a different tarp than what the HG comes with anyways. Thanks everyone!
    I'm afraid that is the case. I have tried hammocks(11 ft or not) that had rave reviews by a number of very experience folks, and they have just not worked that great for me. OTOH, I have a couple of 10 ft or less hammocks that work at least as good as anything else I have tried, in fact better than most. ( for example, Claytor No Net and TTTG Switchback). And then there is the whole bridge hammock thing. I lean towards those, and have used most of them(not all). Including the original JRB BMBH from 07 that so many folks complained about sholder squeeze. I, OTOH, have had many a good nights sleep in that hammock, in some ways I rate it near the top, along with the newer JRB bridges and the WBRR.

Bottom line? Hammocks can be a bit like a pair of shoes. What works great for me might not do so for you. So I have had no choice but to buy them all, and neither do you!

I think the first big decision is to decide if you want/need an asym design and, if so, which orientation. That of course is only important if you want an integrated bug net. Next is to decide what degree of stretch suits you. That one is not an easy one to answer. And that choice MAY also affect the weight of the hammock, if that is an issue.

There are many great hammocks made by the vendors you will see mentioned in various threads. I have purchased hammocks from Dutch, Warbonnet, and Dream Hammocks. Each has different features and they are each great hammocks. I have no experience with any of the other fine cottage vendors here.

Your choice is a sound one. It may or may not turn out to be the ultimate one for you!

Hammock
    BBXLC / sparrow
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    wooki/burrow/
    Suspension
    straps
    i have a WB BBXLC and a DH sparrow. i have friends who bought HG wanderlusts and they love them.

any reputable hammock maker will get you a good hammock.

some may suit your needs better. if you're just starting out and don't know all of what you'll like, the wanderlust package is a very good value.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Remember to all a Bridge Hammock to your list of things to try As others have said, different fabrics, different widths, maybe one vendor’s 11 ft hammock is closer to 10.5 ft (different measuring points, etc.) The only clear difference I felt was with a SimpleLightDesign Steamliner. It has catenary cut sides to save on weight have give more visibility in the hammock - and it does that. And some people love them. For me, the tension on the hammock edge was a bit uncomfortable on the back of my knees. Did I mention a lot of people love it. It’s a good hammock; just not good for me.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast