Underquilt Storage and set up

Hey everyone!

So everytime I take down my underquilt at the end of a camping trip, I completely undo all the suspension adjustments etc. and loosen up the whole thing before putting it back into the stuff sack. I also make sure it's fully loosened before storing long term in It's large cotton storage bag.

Does everyone do that too? Or is it just me? Because I got to thinking how I could save a bit of setting up time if I didn't have to fiddle so much with the underquilt suspension.

Maybe I should only loosen it up for long term storage? But leave the suspension tightened/adjusted during the months when I'm hitting the back country every weekend?

Anything to save a few minutes while out there!

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I keep the adjustments the same, rarely changing them until I notice that they’ve become loose. I usually tie a knot on the shock cord to keep the adjustment stable.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I too leave all my adjustments the same. As to storing the UQ, I hang mine up in my Nut-Hut.
    A few down items of mine live in large cotton storage bags like this....https://hammockgear.com/storage-sack/
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    I leave all my adjustments set. Since it ALWAYS rains for about 10 minutes before I break camp on the last day of every trip I hang my quilts outside when I get home make sure any moisture is out of them before being packed away.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I too leave all my adjustments the same. As to storing the UQ, I hang mine up in my Nut-Hut.
    A few down items of mine live in large cotton storage bags like this....https://hammockgear.com/storage-sack/
    Shug
    LOL. I went searching for a product named “nut hut“ only to realize you were referring to your man cave!
    I always wondered if hanging down bags and quilts caused the down to migrate to the dependent end of the bag. I am starting to accumulate quilts (and bags for the other family members) and at some point will need to find a better storage solution than having them all in their cotton sacks stacked up on a shelving unit.

I loosen in my suspension as I am packing away my gear. I think the instruction card that came with my underquilt suggested loosening everything back up while taking it apart

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Am I missing something? After spending all that time getting it dialed in, why would I loosen it to store?

I'm under the impression that keeping it cinched up will crease the material over time if it's always tightened. But its strong ripstop nylon, so I don't think it's a huge deal. Has anyone noticed the material creasing or wearing a bit because if long term cinched up storage? I'm specifically thinking about the head and foot end "tertiary suspension" leaving the material creased as it's cinched up fairly tight.

I also have 2 hammocks and only 1 underquilt. So if I use my other hammock I have to adjust my underquilt a bit anyway even if it's already been set up.

I also use those large cotton bags to store my underquilt when not being used and have had no issues with down migration, but I feel like just hanging them up will lead to my down moving around a bit. Which is easy to fix as per Shug's vid - just kinda gently smack ur quilt and drag the down to the correct place in the baffles.

• + New Posts