Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

New hammocker in Alabama

Hello all. I'm an engineer in Huntsville, AL. I used to do a fair bit of camping and backpacking when I was growing up, but that was quite some time ago. Between school, work, and raising kids, I haven't done a lot of camping in the last 10-15 years. My 4 kids are old enough to camp, and as my sons are in a scouting program, I'm gradually coming back up to speed with the modern gear options for backpacking and hammock camping.

I'm essentially brand new to hammocking. I camped out in a hammock a few times 25 years ago when I was in Boy Scouts, though that was in a big heavy woven cloth hammock from South America. I tried camping out in a cheap hammock my parents gave me with a bunch of random camping gear they had collected over the years. That was one of my more miserable camping experiences. I purchased Fox Neolite Double hammocks for a couple of my kids last year, and they love camping in them. I went ahead and purchased OneTigris underquilts for them, and they've been pretty happy even camping in the winter in Alabama (lows in the upper 20s to low 30s).

Yesterday, after spending weeks watching video after video and reading tons of reviews, I finally bought a hammock system for myself:
    • Dutchware Gear Chameleon
    • Warbonnet Yeti Underquilt
    • Hammock Gear Quest tarp

After submitting orders for everything, I commented to my wife that Dutch is a genius both in coming up with great gear ideas, but also in having those ideas conveniently presented on his site for unsuspecting new customers to come along and say, "I've never thought of that, but it's brilliant, and I definitely need it!" So, after spending roughly double what I thought I was going to spend on a new sleep system, I'm looking forward to trying it out in a few weeks.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    welcome for Decatur al....there is a group hang in Sipsey feb 26-28th if you have your gear in time. be a good time to see others setup and get help setting yours up. kids are welcome and so are tents: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...nter-Hang-2021!
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks. I doubt my gear will be in by then. I'm actually camping out with my son this coming weekend. 20 degree weather in a Fox hammock with a 50 degree OneTigtis UQ is going to be interesting.

• + New Posts