Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

a line end soft shackle/soft binner (uni-shackle?)

i know, very imaginative name.

another random "invention" brought to you by this episode of "the endless lockdown".

IMG_20210211_164118.jpg-small-sig3.jpg

IMG_20210211_164133.jpg-small-sig3.jpg

this is sort of a de-volved softshackle idea i've been playing with. the short version is: i wanted something that's really quick and easy to use (more like a carabinner and less like a shackle), can be made quickly, at the end of any line you might want, and does not require splicing. and is secure, including for cyclic loading (as you would expect when in use on a tarp ridgeline).

the resulting design idea is so simple that i find it hard to believe i'm the first one to come up with it, but i could not find any documented use of anything similar, anywhere, and believe me i looked everywhere i could think of). if somebody knows of any reference i'd be very curious btw.

the anatomy is simple: a trustworthy mid line loop that doesn't mind being loaded in whichever direction, here the wonderfull butterfly loop (ABoK #1053), and a stopper knot, here in use the equally well regarded ashley stopper (ABoK #526). the end of the line, with the stopper knot on its end, is passed through the loop formed by the butterfly, thus creating a capture loop with some very special characteristics.

the loop is twisted on itself to make it impossible to put the stopper in the loop by mistake, instead of putting it between the "standing line" and the loop. this is not strictly necessary, but very desirable i think, as it reduces the fiddle factor to zero, and removes chance of user error or confusion.

because one side of the capture "hole" is of fixed length (the twisted butterfly loop), and sliding on the other part, this means that, if one makes the butterfly loop long enough so it encircles the stopper and then some, easy release is possible even under load, thus allowing for a controlled release and detensioning of the line, and similarly allowing for a tensioned closing of the "shackle".

i've been playing with it and testing it for the past few weeks, if not months, in various applications. it has surprised me how secure it actually is, i even tried some very unreasonable cyclic loading tests, and even with a butterfly loop which is much larger than necessary, it does not release (the shape of the stopper has a significant role in that).

there are so many uses i won't list them all here, but obviously, whenever one would attach a carabiner to the end of a line or an object, one could use this instead.

another interesting use is to attach the tarp to a continuous ridgeline (as in the picture): one end of the shackle forms the blake hitch (which is superior in almost every way to the prusik), and stays there on the ridgeline, the other side is the shackle part. one neat trick is that, if you want to shorten the shackle, or even add some more tension easily, you can just pull the stopper through, back through the object/tarp tieout, and then back into the capture loop.

IMG_20210211_164046.jpg-small-sig3.jpg IMG_20210211_164007.jpg-small-sig3.jpg

by design, this thing is vulnerable to ring loading (it is actually one way of quick release, to grab the line on the stopper side, and pull away from the load); under actual use, i haven't yet seen it fail even under ring loading, but it is clear it can.

the other thing to beware of is that the two legs of the shackle (the one with the stopper and the one without) need to be "balanced" (both need to be loaded), particularly, if something grabs only the end with the stopper, the shackle will open. so the line of the shackle needs to be free to move through the object it is closed onto. (this is true to some extent of all soft shackles, though)

a word of caution: if someone would be interested to make this in dyneema (which i'm not sure would be so useful, but oh well), the only stopper knot we know to be reliable in dyneema is the estar stopper, and that one has a very different shape, which i haven't tested thoroughly yet, so it might behave quite differently.

before posting here, the last step was to do destruction testing on a few samples. this confirmed that the shackle will fail, as one would expect, at the "exit" of the butterfly (so the single line in the picture), so the expected strength is quite high (i'd estimate above 80% line strength depending on the line, as you'd expect with a good knot like the butterfly, but i don't have equipment to give you numbers for now). the failure mode is consistent, it always breaks there, and the stopper never escapes the loop, even after breaking and slingshoting all over the place.

yes, one could even make an "s-binner" type of configuration, using a double butterfly (tried it, it works, i just don't find it that useful so far, maybe somebody else would). it's also possible to make the butterfly loop really small, so that when the line is loaded, there's no way the stopper can pass through; this seems more secure of cyclic loading and such, but it does make releasing under load impossible, and i didn't find cyclic loading to be a vulnerability at all with the "quick release" version in the pics. however, a smaller butterfly loop will make it safer against accidental release by pressing the button knot (for instance when it is resting on an object when in use)

i'm also thinking in dyneema it might be interesting to skip the butterfly, and instead splice that loop onto the host line, to make it cleaner (and avoid the massive drop in strength a butterfly on the line would bring), but i'm honestly not convinced this design makes that much sense in dyneema.

tell me your thoughts. can you see using it for something? can you see ways to improve it or adapt it to other purposes?
    Last edited by nanok; 02-11-2021 at 14:54.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

a line end soft shackle/soft binner (uni-shackle?)

Looks like a new quick release soft shackle. Have you used it for tarp side guylines?
    I’d be skeeerd to use it for hammock suspension

I would keep the butterfly loop here, rather than a spliced loop, because of possible ring loading problems on outside of spliced loop from forces from end of soft shackle. My best guess...and it’s only a guess...have never used that set up...yet

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Looks like a new quick release soft shackle. Have you used it for tarp side guylines?
    I’d be skeeerd to use it for hammock suspension
    agreed Phantom-sir, definitely wouldn't use it for hammock suspension, just because there are much stronger solutions (typical softshackles). the point is exactly as you said: very quick and easy release, so good for tarp, ridgeline, and as a light soft replacement for an "accessory carabiner" that you'd attach to the end of a line, or leave attached to an object
    for instance i have one attached to my shopping backpack, and one to my daypack, so i can hang it up wherever i want very quickly (and it's really handy; unlike a carabiner, it doesn't knock around, and it can easily be made long enough to go around all kinds and sizes of objects, which a carabiner could not handle)

for tarp guylines, it's also possible to add a second butterfly loop, and use them for guylines with a blake hitch (the second loop will act as the "tending loop" to automatically release the blake, when you are tightening the line, much like my other semi-automatic tightening system using the VT. i still favour the VT, but this is still good, and some might like that it is much easier to setup initially)

in the interest of full disclosure: i tested samples of the one in the picture by hanging from it (safely above a matress, of course), it held nicely, but i would never use it, as the safety factor is unacceptable (in this case it's 3mm paracord, so something aboe 400lbs rated strength, and as this is a single line shackle, we get line strength derated by the knot, not multiplied by 4, as we do in a classic softshackle). i also did the destruction tests i mentioned the same way, but using 2mm paracord rated at 100lbs (and i did break all of them, eventually, though i expected it to be easier to break them -- i suspect this line must be underrated). but other than tightening the knots and testing, definitely not the right tool for the job of suspending a hammock (or any critical load)

I would keep the butterfly loop here, rather than a spliced loop, because of possible ring loading problems on outside of spliced loop from forces from end of soft shackle. My best guess...and it’s only a guess...have never used that set up...yet

yeah, i honestly think it's a bit too much trouble myself, but it is doable: it would have to be a loop spliced "inline", to act exactly as the butterfly does. i noticed that autumn ultralight likes to make a ridgeline with dyneema that works in a similar way (with a button knot), this version would be more secure and probably also easier to splice and tie (and easier to use), so perhaps some people would find it useful.

my main purpose was to have a quick way to replace a small binner on a line with something that's as easy to use, secure, and can be created in the field in a pinch. (i value having field solutions in my virtual backpocket, somebody breaks or loses a piece of hardware, nice to know how to help them out, makes everybody's day less miserable )

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    ... much like my other semi-automatic tightening system using the VT ...
    What is VT?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbenny View Post
    What is VT?
    Valdotain Tresse
    A hitch climbers and arborists use while inching their way up or down their main support rope. Valdotain Tresse acts as a slip and grip hitch.
    To see in action go to YouTube for several videos

And the XT is another version of the VT
    It is basically the same but with a few different twists and wraps as hitch is being completed

What is VT?
    what Phantom said (thanks sir)

here's the thread where i describe how i use it as a sort of "soft linelock" https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...sioning+system

and here's a short (20 seconds) clip showing it in action

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ah, valdotain tressee. Thanks for linking the thread, interesting.

Hammock
    Little Shop of Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Suspension
    J Bend
    I’m interested in learning more. Does anyone have a YouTube or Vimeo video demonstrating how to tie this knot?

hey KingMob. which one in particular? the one the thread is about, or the one in the video above (the uni shackle or the VT tensioner).

i didn't make any video of how to tie either yet, but i can if somebody finds it useful

Ah, valdotain tressee. Thanks for linking the thread, interesting.
    you're welcome, and if you do try it i'm glad to hear your experience with it in the thread (along with any questions or suggestions). i mean, let's be honest, half of us are into this hammock thing at least partially for the opportunity to experiment and tinker, and share ideas

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast