Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Greylock 4 suspension adjustment question

I recently received my order of the GL 4 and am having a bit of trouble getting the primary suspension tight enough that the UQ is tight against my back. I understand that I can do it by untying things and retying them such that the suspension hangs tighter but the problem lies in doing that in the field when it's cold. Is there a way to adjust things without untying and retying knots with fingers exposed to the cold?
    "The more I live, the more I learn. The more I learn, the more I realize, the less I know." - Michel Legrand

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    They have a lot of down in them. Adding a secondary suspension really fixes it from the accordion effect.
    This video may help.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    If the problem is not just rigging the secondary suspension to eliminate the concertina effect Shug talked about, then pull several inches of your primary suspension through one of the UQ's mini-carabiners and tie both strands into a simple overhand knot. The carabiner now stops at that knot, which effectively shortens your primary suspension. You don't have to untie anything to do this, unless you need to untie THAT knot to change back to having a longer primary suspension afterwards.

I sold my GL4, and can't remember the exact details of the primary suspension. Some UQ's have a cord lock at one end of the primary suspension - pulling slack through that cord lock acts as an adjustable version of the knot tying method I discussed above. You could add that cord lock at home pretty easily (if the GL4 doesn't have it already).

EDIT: If your GL4 is a newer version than Shug's, you might not have to add a secondary suspension as he suggests. It may already contain a clever, minimalist one. The cordlock and paracord sheath shown here combine the head/foot cinches into a secondary suspension, by also running the primary suspension through that cord lock. Just move the position of the cord lock along the primary suspension to function as the secondary suspension and keep the UQ from sagging (if memory serves, Shug added a similar effect to his GL4 using a Prusik hitch).

Last edited by cmc4free; 01-28-2021 at 14:06.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for the replies

Shug: I had watched your video before, very helpful. I have watched most of your videos and usually learn something or sometimes a whole lot of somethings. You addressed my issue in the first minute about the need for getting your primary suspension tight. (The UQ is brand new and has the latest version of their secondary suspension which seems to work fine). My question was more how to get that primary suspension adjusted that way without needing to bare fingers (or at least minimizing the time having bare fingers in cold temperatures). Thanks to you and cmc4free for your suggestions.
    "The more I live, the more I learn. The more I learn, the more I realize, the less I know." - Michel Legrand

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JDA View Post
    Thanks for the replies

Shug: I had watched your video before, very helpful. I have watched most of your videos and usually learn something or sometimes a whole lot of somethings. You addressed my issue in the first minute about the need for getting your primary suspension tight. (The UQ is brand new and has the latest version of their secondary suspension which seems to work fine). My question was more how to get that primary suspension adjusted that way without needing to bare fingers (or at least minimizing the time having bare fingers in cold temperatures). Thanks to you and cmc4free for your suggestions.
    Sometimes the fingers just need to be bare to get the job done.
    But get it set at home for that particular hammock and it should be good about everytime. Dial it in and go go go.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Sometimes the fingers just need to be bare to get the job done.
    But get it set at home for that particular hammock and it should be good about everytime. Dial it in and go go go.
    I totally get that. My particular situation is that due to some health stuff my dexterity isn't great at the best of times and baring hands takes longer and my hands get cold which starts a downward spiral which at best makes things no fun and ar worst can be dangerous.

Hope I don't sound annoyed I really don't mean it that way just explaining my situation. I've learned most of what I know about hammock camping from your videos and I really appreciate your helping people learn

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Hello! On one end of the primary suspension there should be a poplock that you can use to shorten the overall length of the primary suspension to snug the quilt up closer to your hammock.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JDA View Post
    I totally get that. My particular situation is that due to some health stuff my dexterity isn't great at the best of times and baring hands takes longer and my hands get cold which starts a downward spiral which at best makes things no fun and ar worst can be dangerous.

Hope I don't sound annoyed I really don't mean it that way just explaining my situation. I've learned most of what I know about hammock camping from your videos and I really appreciate your helping people learn
    Not at all. But sometimes we just need the fingers. Mybe very this gloves like the Minus 33.....https://www.minus33.com/collections/...roduct_reviews

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    Hello! On one end of the primary suspension there should be a poplock that you can use to shorten the overall length of the primary suspension to snug the quilt up closer to your hammock.
    This! I just grab that, push on the "button", and then pull the shock cord thru the line lock until it is more than tight enough. I can do this easily, and I'm pretty sure this can be done with gloves. This is a very quick adjustment.

But perhaps you are having trouble getting it to remain tight enough? Does it slip on you later on? In that case a back up over hand knot might be needed. Which might be a problem in your case for the reasons you stated. However, as Shug mentioned, then best get it adjusted for a given hammock at home and maybe indoors, and then if needed add the additional back-up knot at home, when things are warmer,, or even in the house. Then just leave that way for at least as long as you are using that particular hammock.

Good luck, have fun with that super warm GL-4, one of my all time favorite UQs!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-28-2021 at 22:20.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    Should the poplock be at all hard to find? I'm having trouble finding it

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast