Tarp
    CC Ponderosa
    Insulation
    Sheltowee
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

BW Lac La Croix

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at doing a trip to the BW this spring as a celebration to finish my master's degree. I've been to the BW before and am familiar with permits etc.

I'm looking at Paddle Planner as well also shug videos are also a must.

I'm aiming for the pictographs on Lac La Croix, was wondering if folks had some suggestions. I'm looking at entry point #16: Moose Lake.

The portages are going to be tough due to a couple disabilities but I think with a friend or two I'll be able to manage.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or suggestions about this trip or have better suggestions to get to the pictographs. I've already been to the Hegman lake ones, I'm looking at Basswood River for next year.

Thanks!
    "Each of us has an Up North. It's a time and a place far from the here and now. It's a map on the wall, a dream in the making, a tugging at one's soul. For those who feel the tug, who make the dream happen, who put the map in the packsack and go, the world is never quite the same." Sam Cook, Up North 1986

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    EE/HG/UGQ quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/straps
    Images
    I've done iterations of your trip four times and it's a great route. Plan on spending your first night on Lake Agnes; there's a few really nice sites on the NE side of the lake. Be advised though that nuisance bears were active on Agnes all of last year, but they may very well have moved on by now. You will want to get to LLC early the following day as the sites fill up quickly, but it's only a couple hours from the north end of Agnes to Tiger Bay on LLC. Also note that theoretically it's illegal to paddle over the Canadian border on LLC to visit the awesome pictographs unless you have a passport, Quetico Park permit and RABC, but that being said people do it all the time at their own risk. When you are coming back out, spend another night on Agnes or push through to the entry point, although that does make for a long day of paddling....
    P6210047.jpgP6210049.jpg
    Last edited by unshavenman; 02-10-2021 at 17:49.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    CC Ponderosa
    Insulation
    Sheltowee
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Awesome! Thank you for the tips. Hmmm I'll see about getting my passport. Also thank you for the tip on the bears. I usually use an UrSack but will make sure its totally with me this time around.

Does Canada monitor that side closely at all?

First night on Agnes. got it. thanks!!! Very helpful!
    "Each of us has an Up North. It's a time and a place far from the here and now. It's a map on the wall, a dream in the making, a tugging at one's soul. For those who feel the tug, who make the dream happen, who put the map in the packsack and go, the world is never quite the same." Sam Cook, Up North 1986

Quote Originally Posted by Ssplash View Post
    Awesome! Thank you for the tips. Hmmm I'll see about getting my passport. Also thank you for the tip on the bears. I usually use an UrSack but will make sure its totally with me this time around.

Does Canada monitor that side closely at all?

First night on Agnes. got it. thanks!!! Very helpful!
    Check out Anderson Outfitters on Crane lake. They have a shuttle service that will have you anywhere on Lac La Croix by 9:30 am on put in day. Its a bit spendy. I think 275 per person plus 100 per canoe. Its a 2 hr boat ride at 35mph.
    Across crane lake. Up the curvy loon river . Over two mechanical portages. Anderson can resupply you with ice and cold drinks half way through your trip. And cold drinks when they pick you up.
    Andersons will take care of permits and can outfit your trip. They also have a place to shower after your trip. Mark and his dad has run the place for 40 years?

The only hotel in Crane Lake is Pine Ridge Hotel. They are across the street fron Anderson outfitters

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    I'll be part of a group heading up to BW LLC later this summer. We are putting in at EP #16. I'd love to see all pics/ video you can get of portages and especially pics/ video of good campsites. We have 8 hammock campers in our group and I'm a bit nervous about finding sites to accommodate all of us.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Hammock
    XLC, Superior Gear 0deg
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki0* TQHomemade
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Atlas
    I am researching this same trip. I have been talking to Andersons and have in the past while up there fishing with relatives. Anderson's is great to work with.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    EE/HG/UGQ quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    I'll be part of a group heading up to BW LLC later this summer. We are putting in at EP #16. I'd love to see all pics/ video you can get of portages and especially pics/ video of good campsites. We have 8 hammock campers in our group and I'm a bit nervous about finding sites to accommodate all of us.
    In my experience it would be difficult to accommodate eight hammock campers on the sites that I've seen on LLC, although a couple of the sites on the NE side of Agnes would work. Typically I find that there are two or maybe three good spots to hang and maybe a couple others that are borderline or uncomfortable but doable. Occasionally I have found a site with a plethora of good hanging trees, but that is rare. More likely I find a site with one good hang and one not so good hang. For your group, I recommend bringing a four person tent and a few air mattresses as a backup in case some folks need to go to ground. Who knows though, you may get lucky.

Hammock
    Gathered end from Hammock Gear
    Tarp
    DIY 12' extra wide
    Insulation
    DIY Goose down
    Suspension
    Superior Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    "Have Rum Will Travel"

Hammock
    Gathered end from Hammock Gear
    Tarp
    DIY 12' extra wide
    Insulation
    DIY Goose down
    Suspension
    Superior Gear
    Images
    If you're going with Frank you should have no problems with getting campsites to hang all campers. He's been there numerous times. Good luck with your trip. It will be a doozy.
    "Have Rum Will Travel"

• + New Posts