Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

Fish out of water - Ends for my tarp?

Okay, I am in way over my head, here, but I'm inclined to attempt something that would be dead simple easy for most of you in this forum, which is to make ends for my tarp setup.

I have a 12+x15+ ripstop poly camo tarp. It is deployed with the short side as the ridgeline and the long side perpendicular to the ridgeline. It is staked out in an A-frame configuration. I installed Kam-Snaps on the long edges so I can close them up when I want, and that worked okay but really limited the floor space. So, I'm thinking why not give a go at making some triangle ends for the tarp? The openings are 75" high at the peak, with a baseline of 102". That makes the sloped sides 90". I would secure it to the sides with the existing Kam-Snaps, plus, of course, more added to the new pieces.

I figure I can buy a cheap RS poly 10x10 camo tarp on eBay for about $20 and use that for material. If I get really ambitious and try to put a zipper in the middle, then I would need 4 pieces with dimensions of 75" (ground to ridgeline) x 51" (center to the corner) x 90" on the sloped side or hypotenuse of the right triangle. These would be joined at the vertical 75" sides. I'm thinking I can get all 4 pieces out of the 10x10 tarp.

A while back, I bought an Elna sewing machine but have only used it for really simple stuff, like making loops in webbing, etc. So, I will be looking for volunteers to hold my hand and guide me in this, but for now, what are your thoughts?

[EDIT] I should have said that weight is not a huge factor, as this tarp is for car-camping only.

This should work and it will definately increase the floor area. One thing- don't forget to allow for your seam/ hem allowance, + 1/2" to maybe +1" on all three sides of each piece. Simple double fold over will work great. Since you will be sewing in a straight line - nothing tricky. good luck and post a pic of the results. You may also want to check out Shugs' vid on tarp doors/ beaks.
    Last edited by ylnfrt; 02-10-2021 at 19:40. Reason: additional info

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    This should work and it will definately increase the floor area. One thing- don't forget to allow for your seam/ hem allowance, + 1/2" to maybe +1" on all three sides of each piece. Simple double fold over will work great. Since you will be sewing in a straight line - nothing tricky. good luck and post a pic of the results. You may also want to check out Shugs' vid on tarp doors/ beaks.
    Thanks. My next question, or really my first, is, regarding the center zipper, if I want 3 pulls - two to adjust size and position of the opening for hammock suspension at the top of zipper and one at bottom to open and close the door - how is that done? Do you have to order a zipper that way, or can you add pulls? It's probably a simple thing, but to the unexperienced (worse than inexperienced), not so much.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Sounds like you are more-or-less going to end up with an extra-wide 12' winter tarp with doors that are attached to the main tarp with snaps. Not a bad plan and when you have it all configured you can sew them on permanently if you want.

Why not use a line of snaps in the middle. I think most people use 4-5 along the center to allow for the hammock suspension height to be variable. The reality is that your tarp will be big enough that you are more likely to just connect your "doors" straight across with a bit of thin shockcord at the corners with hooks on the end. They will just overlap depending on how wide the corners are staked and you wont use any further closure at the centerline. I planned on adding them to my winter tarp and so far have not gotten around to it because I have yet to see where I'd use them.

ed: google image "winter dream tarp" to see what the door closure I'm describing looks like.
    Last edited by gooless; 02-11-2021 at 01:09.

Sorry to say, I know nothing about zippers but I'm sure there are folks here that do. Donna from 2QZQ has made many zipper mods for hammockers- She is now associated with dutchware - you might check with them.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Grizz beak has been the best solution over the years. I like the out of the box thinking with adding zippers to a beak.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When I made doors for my tarp I made them out of paper first to get an idea of what would work.
    Took a few tries.
    Shug

Tarp-Flaps-Velcro-Closed by Sean Emery, on Flickr

Tarp-Flaps-tied-back by Sean Emery, on Flickr

Tarp-Flap-One-Closed by Sean Emery, on Flickr
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts