New guy from Wisconsin

I just wanted to say a quick hello to everyone here on the forums. My name is Brian Muska and I live in Eau Claire, WI. I am a late bloomer to the hammock scene and have been having a bit of fun trying this all out to see if it is really for me. I first became interested in the concept of this when me and a couple of friends were out camping this last fall and I realized I was just not satisfied with sleeping on the ground anymore. It seemed like no matter what I did I was not comfortable. My wife had purchased me a Wise Owl hammock from Amazon because she thought I would enjoy hanging out in one during the summer. Well I found out that I really enjoyed it and thus began the journey. I have been toying around with a couple of set-ups this winter and I have had some success with a couple, I decided to make a video of my last one which was a bit of a disappointment as I woke up at midnight to go pee and could not get back to sleep. I think from watching a few videos on YouTube that I will benefit from a longer hammock and have begun lusting after them as would be expected. I have decided to add the link to the video to this post even though it is not without it's faults. Thank you for humoring me and I wish you all the best.

Brian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB8q0LPTin8

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Welcome to HF and the addiction. Since your wife bought your first hammock for you, you can play the acquisition game a couple different ways - such as "Honey, now you need to buy me another hammock!" or if that won't work, offer this: "Let me try buying my own hammock." Best wishes as you learn more each time.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Hi Brian, Welcome to HF.net. Lots of information available here. Be sure to watch the Shug and the Adventures with the Marine videos. Try to come to some of the group hangs. Looking forward to a non-COVID world. See you there. Tumbleweed

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Brian!

Welcome to the Forum! I live down in Milwaukee and love Eau Claire. Right now, BACONFEST hammock hang is still on for this year. I haven't created a thread yet on it with the details, but this year it will be in Chippewa Falls @ Lake Wissota SP May 21-23. We'd love to have you and you'd get to see many different hammock set ups. Hopefully you can make it!
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    CC Ponderosa
    Insulation
    Sheltowee
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    welcome! I'm all the way on the top of the state on the shore of lake superior. great website! have fun!
    "Each of us has an Up North. It's a time and a place far from the here and now. It's a map on the wall, a dream in the making, a tugging at one's soul. For those who feel the tug, who make the dream happen, who put the map in the packsack and go, the world is never quite the same." Sam Cook, Up North 1986

Exactly! She is actually very good about it as long as I will use the stuff. I have a couple of them that I am researching. I like to relish the "new too me" aspect of all of this. Looking for new gear is half the fun. I look forward to hopefully meeting some of you at a hang or two. I think it would be awesome to check out other systems.

Hammock
    WB Traveler, Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, woopies,
    Images
    Hey Brian, welcome! Green Bay here. I started out with an Eno many years ago and now I’ve got half a dozen different rigs and an all-consuming DIY habit. One of the best values for the dollar I’ve found for 11ft gathered ends is the Ridge Outdoor Pinnacle hammock on Amazon. It’s an American company out of Florida and their customer service is solid. All the best!

Camping Hammock with Mosquito Net- Pinnacle 180 11 ft Ultralight Hammock Tent with Bug Netting, Straps, Carabiners, Structural Ridgeline, Ripstop Nylon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088SF1N1W...KXVKVFM9TMQ1M8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." - Marthe Troly-Curtin

Robfisherman, thanks for the heads up. I actually have some 1.6 hyperD on the way from ripstop by the roll and am going to give a try at the diy option. If I end up making a mess of it I will definitely be looking at the Pinnacle, especially given the fact it has a built-in bug net. After that I am going for a decent top quilt. I have the feeling this new hobby is going to be trouble.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmuska View Post
    I actually have some 1.6 hyperD on the way from ripstop by the roll and am going to give a try at the diy option. I have the feeling this new hobby is going to be trouble.
    Five years ago I ordered 1.6 HyperD fabric from RipstopByTheRoll and made this purple beauty. I still camp with it today. I watched a ton of youtube videos on how to sew and make a hammock. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. And yes, this hobby will be trouble (but the good kind)

◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Welcome! There is much knowledge to be gleaned here.

• + New Posts