Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I use the woopies with a carabiner connected to daisy chain strap. The woopies smallest setup is about 10 ". So i guess that adds 20" of space i need between trees. So far have not run into a problem. It seems i usually pick trees further apart so my struggle is getting the straps high enough up the trees to get the right hang and end height off ground. I have the Amsteel ridgeline so sometimes that is as tight as a piano wire Probably should not be.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoor View Post
    I use the woopies with a carabiner connected to daisy chain strap.
    Outdoor, you are the second person in this thread to describe this style set up. I guess I do not understand the purpose. Both whoopies and the daisy chain strap provide adjustability, why the need to include both?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Outdoor, you are the second person in this thread to describe this style set up. I guess I do not understand the purpose. Both whoopies and the daisy chain strap provide adjustability, why the need to include both?
    1) If trees are further apart than daisy chain allows, woopies give more length
    2) I find that if i need to adjust once i've already setup everything and sleeping bag etc are in hammock, it can actually be difficult to unclip from daisy to adjust, woopie is much easier.
    3) I made the woopies myself, so feel proud to use them

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor View Post
    1) If trees are further apart than daisy chain allows, woopies give more length
    2) I find that if i need to adjust once i've already setup everything and sleeping bag etc are in hammock, it can actually be difficult to unclip from daisy to adjust, woopie is much easier.
    3) I made the woopies myself, so feel proud to use them
    Ok I understand... I think. You are basically are using a whoopie sling system and use a daisy chain for the tree strap. So in your system the daisy chain is just a convenient attach point for the whoopie sling, instead of needing to tie a MSH or other knot/method needed for a straight strap.

Thank you I learned something.

Hammock
    Dutch Gear Hexon 1.7
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    DIY EB Quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar
    I started with the CL over a MSH on my straps. I got tired of retying the MSH for adjustment so added some whoopie slings larks headed to my CL. Adjustment is much easier now. I tried becket hitches and J-bends but the MSH lets me disconnect and reconnect to the tree without retying knots.
    As for distance, it doesn't affect me, if trees are too close, I bypass the whoopie and hang the CL on the MSH; like before I got the whoopies. So for me this setup is most flexible.
    A day camping in the rain is better than a good day at work,
    --Shaw.

tsshaw78 is too hard to say on the trail - Just call me Shaw.

Hammock
    XLC, Superior Gear 0deg
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki0* TQHomemade
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Atlas
    I bought a 600 foot roll of Amsteel Blue and have been making whoopie slings for everything! I have started using them all over the place for all kinds of things. As far as the hammock, whoopie sling and tree strap. Don't look back.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Jeff-oh, Another reason to combine the whoopie with a daisy chain is the chain increment, 5 to 6 inches between loops, might be too big a step. The new chains available from DutchWare and others may make the step about 3 inches but those older ENO Atlas Straps and Kammeck Python Straps have big steps.

When I started out, I’d never though a difference of 5 inches in strap suspension would make a difference. Before I switched to chain with shorter steps, I carried a continuous loop I could double and use with the Daisy Chain to create a “half-step” to better dial things in. Using the continuous loop to move just a half step would mostly eliminate the need for whoopie adjustment but not the need for a longer suspension - say with mature Ponderosa Pines.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    HG dyneema
    Insulation
    Diamondback,wookie
    Suspension
    Spider/Beetle
    Images
    I live in a divided house. I still use tree straps and whoopies and when trees are close use a becket. My wife got too frustrated from being between close trees one too many times and switched to straps with beetle buckles and loves them.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing – George Bernard Shaw

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    One reason I like carrying whoopies and tree straps. If I get stuck somewhere I cant use the whoopies because the distance is to short you can just loop the straps through the continuous loop on your gathered end to shorten the hang length.

Ultimately I just find them easier to adjust then the cinch buckles.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast