Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Larksfooting whoopie to hammock... is there a good reason not to do this?

Hello friends!

A quick question I'm sure has been asked a million times. In the attempt to reduce the amount of carabiners needed, I larksfoot my whoopie sling straight onto the hammock ends.

From my climbing and rope safety knowledge I can't think of a technical reason not to do this, but thought I'd ask here in case there is a good reason not to.

I hope these two pictures make it clear.

IMG_20210205_163227.jpg

IMG_20210205_163255.jpg

Anyone else use a similar method?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could simplify it more by taking the continuous loops off of the hammock and larksheading the whoopie straight to the hammock.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' (Hexon Wide 1.6)
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CDT Underquilt
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin Spike
    I have long connected my Whoopi to the continuous loop that way (larkshead).

No downside that I have found

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I’m skeeerd of heights, still look up to climbers.
    Got to know your stuff, when high up there.

Your whoopie sling attached to hammock, will work famously and by eliminating intermediate attachments, you have saved cost, bulk and weight.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Speed and ease of use I'd say. It is a hassle to separate the straps from the continous loops like if the straps get wet or sticky. Just like hardware eliminates the tree strap going through the loop. It works it is just a time/convenience thing mainly. The other thing is when fastened the way you do the knot becomes the drip stop. I'm not sure how it will do in that regard. Your background with climbing gives you confidence and knowledge that the knot isn't a weak spot. I have hung this way but dont for the reasons I mentioned
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

One of the downsides that I see is that it makes for some tight bends in the CL and Whoopie. Not sure if those small radii can cause weakness. Pretty sure it could be a struggle to disconnect after hanging on them. I'm more in favor of the idea of the Whoopie larksheaded directly to the hammock. (Personally, I prefer a hardware attachment that leaves nothing on the hammock other than the CLs when it's packed up.)

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Incubators
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Biggest issue I could see is rain. You’d just have to find another way to keep water from traveling down your whoopie sling to your hammock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    The larksheads has been my go favorite for decades now. Easy to do, easy to undo, never had a problem.

So versatile and fast. You can attach to a knot, a stop, another loop, a limb, carabiner, whatever!

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' (Hexon Wide 1.6)
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CDT Underquilt
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin Spike
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustykfd View Post
    Biggest issue I could see is rain. You’d just have to find another way to keep water from traveling down your whoopie sling to your hammock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In my case, I use a ~6in long , 16th inch diameter cotton string tied to that point.

As the cotton is more absorbent- it does a great job at wicking the water in the correct direction, and away from the continuous loop.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The issue I found when a member of the climbing community (decades and decades ago) was wear of nylon against nylon. If a perlon rope was pulled against a nylon strap - like if a rappel ring wasn’t used in the nylon sling - the heat generated could be enough to melt the strap. When you reached the ground using a Figure-8, you could hardly hold the hardware in your hand until it cooled off. But that was material against material movement. In your case, except for micro movement when the line is weighted, everything is static.

But even so - I’m not a fan of cord against cord. That’s just me and my “hang up”. The advantage of putting some hardware in the middle - like a ring at the end of the hammock, is it provides and easy way to switch out different suspensions and provides a water break.

Following Shug’s suggestion, I could just replace my CL and ring combo with a light weight WB carabiner. I may do that with the smaller “hiking” hammocks - because they are just “wrap a daisy chain and clip onto a loop”.

Except - the biner holds, but does not grab, the fabric. As such, I’m relying on the stitching to handle all the pull force. The CL (or other tightening loop) can grab the fabric so you are relying on the fabric strength; not so much on just the channel stitching.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast