Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Lowest iv taken mine was 20 degrees and semi windy. It certinally made it more comfortable to have an arm or so out of the quilt. And made changing much easier from a cold standpoint. Perhaps it made my quilts feel as if they were 10 degrees warmer then they were.
    The big benefit if the wind block, the rest really was just added bonus.
    I dont usually bring a lazy slug tube, but if the socks comes, that's how it's used.
    It is floppy in the wind and makes a decent bit of noise if that bothers you.
    It's a worthwhile investment for cold weather or severe weather like blowing sideways thunderstorms.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DCF Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Incub
    Suspension
    belt buckle straps
    Lemme know how it works out.

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGorgeTheRed View Post
    Hi all!
    I'm looking to extend my camping season and wanted to know if anyone could tell me how much warmer is a winter hammock set up with the sock?
    I have a good top and underquilt, tarp and such. I live in Kentucky so I'm wondering if the sock will make much of a difference when nights are around 15-20 degrees?
    Thankee
    I know the winter sock and the top cover are 2 different bits of Dutchwear, but they do a similar function.

I received a top cover for my Chameleon last Monday. The weather on Thursday forecast 15-20mph winds and overnight temps just below freezing. So I decided to test out my new kit.

While doing my test hang for a bit after set up, winds were gusting as forecast. What I can tell you is that the top cover blocked out almost all the wind. I found a set of trees that was almost parallel to the prevailing wind direction which I think helped the cover work.

Overnight the temps dipped below freezing as forecast and the winds calmed down. The top cover retained quite a bit of heat as I discovered when I went out for a few nature calls.

When the sun came up the winds started again, only this time from the opposite direction. I slept in for "scientific reasons" to test out the wind protection some more.

I did notice that my TQ had a bit of moisture on the top layer from my breath. I expected this. After I got up I unzipped the top cover, secured the TQ from blowing away and started a hot beverage and breakfast. By the time I was finished with my meal, the inside of the top cover and TQ was dry and ready to be packed up.

It was a good purchase and I will use the cover again for warmth and / or wind.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12