Kammock roo double, Soco single
    Tarp
    DD Hammocks 3X3
    Insulation
    Onewind 40* UQ
    Suspension
    python 10 straps

Onewind Underquilt?

Is the Onewind Underquilt good value, Experience anyone? I would get a HG Pheonix economy but 8-10 week lead time wont do it for me.
    hammocks were first brought to the civilized world by sailors in 1492, not much has changed besides materials, meaning hammocks are pretty perfect and have always been pretty perfect.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Some of our scouts have those and they work ok if you lay straight (these kids always hang their enos like a guitar string). Not great for a diagonal lay. I'd recommend looking at Simply Light Designs. The TrailWinder is a great quilt at a good price and turnaround time is awesome. They have some with minor cosmetic defects available at a discount, too.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by ooyyeeaahh View Post
    Is the Onewind Underquilt good value, Experience anyone? I would get a HG Pheonix economy but 8-10 week lead time wont do it for me.
    I have one, I can say it would comfortably go to about 40, and lower if you get the extra quilt that snaps on.
    It is a little on the heavy side, and is very bulky.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    Some of our scouts have those and they work ok if you lay straight (these kids always hang their enos like a guitar string). Not great for a diagonal lay. I'd recommend looking at Simply Light Designs. The TrailWinder is a great quilt at a good price and turnaround time is awesome. They have some with minor cosmetic defects available at a discount, too.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
    Mine is quite a bit wider than even my cottage quilts, I have not had a problem getting into any position.
    Are you sure you aren't thinking about the One Tigris quilt that is shaped like a banana?

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    We have both the one wind UQs and an SLD. The one wind is a bit fiddly but does work ok once you get the suspension sorted out. My lady has the snap in blanket for hers and she's been in it down to 20° w/ no issues. Of course I did get her an SLD UQ protector because I knew she wouldn't spend the time working out how to get it gapless. I'll probably mod the suspension a bit in the future so that it works easier. We haven't had an issues w/ diagonal lay but she also doesn't lay as diagonal as I do and is shorter.

I have the SLD and love it. Its super simple and quality, but it was also almost twice the price.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    Mine is quite a bit wider than even my cottage quilts, I have not had a problem getting into any position.
    Are you sure you aren't thinking about the One Tigris quilt that is shaped like a banana?

Sorry, you're right...I was mentally confusing the two. Having looked at that one, for the price, it doesn't seem like it would be too bad if weight and bulk aren't concerns. However, if those are factors, I'd drop the extra $50 or so on an SLD TW.

UPDATE: it looks like the blems they had are gone, so only "full price" TWs are available now (https://www.simplylightdesigns.com/c...winder-asym-uq)

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I started with a OneWind hammock as my first and I still use it and lend it out. Eventually bought their entire system. You can't beat the price and the quality and design is great. The design and packaging of their tarp and UQ is among the best in my opinion. The tarp comes with everything including door straps. The quilt allows you to snap in extra insulation. A complete functional system ready to go for little $.

Like you mention, the primary downside is weight. Everything weighs 2x the amount of a similar product from a cottage vendor. Still, you can get your compete setup (quilts, tarp, hammock) to 40 degree at around 8 pounds (most of this insulation) which will do the body good!

Hammock
    Kammock roo double, Soco single
    Tarp
    DD Hammocks 3X3
    Insulation
    Onewind 40* UQ
    Suspension
    python 10 straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpatter View Post
    I started with a OneWind hammock as my first and I still use it and lend it out. Eventually bought their entire system. You can't beat the price and the quality and design is great. The design and packaging of their tarp and UQ is among the best in my opinion. The tarp comes with everything including door straps. The quilt allows you to snap in extra insulation. A complete functional system ready to go for little $.

Like you mention, the primary downside is weight. Everything weighs 2x the amount of a similar product from a cottage vendor. Still, you can get your compete setup (quilts, tarp, hammock) to 40 degree at around 8 pounds (most of this insulation) which will do the body good!
    Yeah I'm going with Onewind for the Bugnet and UQ I already have a hammock and for a tarp I'm going with the DD 3x3
    hammocks were first brought to the civilized world by sailors in 1492, not much has changed besides materials, meaning hammocks are pretty perfect and have always been pretty perfect.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I've also been looking at the DD tarp, only the 4x4 as we have two under the tarp.
    We do have two of the one wind tarps and agree that they come w/ everything you need. I did get some pole segments to be able to do the external pole set up and will probably get more segments so that I can use them internal. The fact that it's silnylon is it's only major downfall.
    Last edited by LowTech; 02-03-2021 at 14:08.

Quote Originally Posted by ooyyeeaahh View Post
    I have used the OneWind UQ (with the extra blanket) down to 28F in nothing but a base layer. I was using the Go! Outfitters Adventurer TQ, which is rated to 20F. I was toasty warm. The OneWind quilts are all very bulky and heavy, but they do the job they say they do. They will keep you warm. The suspension on the UQ is kind of a pain in the butt, but again, it does the job. I recently replaced the UQ with the Go! Outfitter banana-shaped UQ. It's lighter, but I still think the OneWind UQ is a better choice from a pure performance standpoint. The UQ with extra blanket weighs in at about 4 lbs on its own, and it takes up a lot of space. If warmth and a low price tag are your main considerations, I definitely recommend the OneWind UQ + the Go! Outfitters TQ. You can get both together for around $250. (I actually got my UQ directly from OW, not Amazon, and it was on sale for half off, so that's something to look for). My total sleep/shelter system (hammock, quilts, tarp) weight with the OneWind UQ and Go! Outfitter TQ is about 10 lbs. I know that makes UL backpackers have a stroke, but sometimes it's not all about the weight. I like being warm and I like my money.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast