Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by willirvin View Post
    My total sleep/shelter system (hammock, quilts, tarp) weight with the OneWind UQ and Go! Outfitter TQ is about 10 lbs. I know that makes UL backpackers have a stroke, but sometimes it's not all about the weight.
    My shelter & sleep systems come in about 8.5 pounds, and about 12 pounds for the "Big 3." Based on the reactions, you'd think I was carrying a boat anchor AND an anvil.

I like being warm and I like my money.
    I always sleep warmer with an extra $1000 in the bank.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I have used the OneWind UQ (with the extra blanket) down to 28F in nothing but a base layer. I was using the Go! Outfitters Adventurer TQ, which is rated to 20F. I was toasty warm. The OneWind quilts are all very bulky and heavy, but they do the job they say they do. They will keep you warm. The suspension on the UQ is kind of a pain in the butt, but again, it does the job. I recently replaced the UQ with the Go! Outfitter banana-shaped UQ. It's lighter, but I still think the OneWind UQ is a better choice from a pure performance standpoint. The UQ with extra blanket weighs in at about 4 lbs on its own, and it takes up a lot of space. If warmth and a low price tag are your main considerations, I definitely recommend the OneWind UQ + the Go! Outfitters TQ. You can get both together for around $250. (I actually got my UQ directly from OW, not Amazon, and it was on sale for half off, so that's something to look for). My total sleep/shelter system (hammock, quilts, tarp) weight with the OneWind UQ and Go! Outfitter TQ is about 10 lbs. I know that makes UL backpackers have a stroke, but sometimes it's not all about the weight. I like being warm and I like my money.
    On this last trip I modified the suspension on my Onewind UQ. It basically has the same system as the HGs and more. I removed some of it until it was like the HGs and found it to be easier to adjust.
    My partner also has the same UQ but they have it done different, w/ shock cord and some thin lines. Mine was just shock cord. When I have a chance I'll redo hers to just the simple shock cord as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    On this last trip I modified the suspension on my Onewind UQ. It basically has the same system as the HGs and more. I removed some of it until it was like the HGs and found it to be easier to adjust.
    My partner also has the same UQ but they have it done different, w/ shock cord and some thin lines. Mine was just shock cord. When I have a chance I'll redo hers to just the simple shock cord as well.
    Will you explain your mods? And with pics?

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I left mine in the wet Southeast, which I just left, as I have others out west, but we did bring the one belonging to my lady.
    Maybe I'll get a break from visiting her family tomorrow and dig hers out. Should be able to get pics, . . . and maybe I'll mod hers sooner than I thought.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Got a moment away from visiting, now I'll try to explain my mod to the UQ.

First off I have noticed that even though we both have their UQs they are different. Mine was only shock cord and hers is shock cord and some thin cord w/ added line locks. I think all of that is a pain and will be changing hers to just shock cord.

In the photos you can see that they have a section of shock cord that goes through the middle third of the end channel. I tried working w/ that and ended up pulling it out.

The shock cord that runs the length of the quilt in the side channels will get replaced w/ longer cord. That cord will be long enough to go to the mini binner on the ridgeline and back to the cord lock attached to the quilt. On both ends. It's one long piece.
    (I put the binner where it would be if the shock cord was long enough)
    That let's the quilt position be adjusted along the hammock

All that leaves is the standard end gathering shock cord which is already installed.

Let me know if more photos or explanations are needed.

Thanks. Yeah, yours is different from mine too.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by mmveets View Post
    Thanks. Yeah, yours is different from mine too.
    How do they have your suspension constructed?

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    mmveets - come on, I showed you mine, now show me yours.

:-)
    I'll have to dig it out some day.
    Maybe this will help for now.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yw0...haring 

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Is that your video? The corners in that vid are the same as the one my lady has (other than the incorrect attachments). What I'm doing is taking the shock cord that runs the length of the quilt in the side channels and replacing them w/ longer ones so that they reach the binner on the ridgeline and come back to the line lock that is attached right below the channel. I have it doing that at both ends, so maybe 10'+ longer then what they have installed. When we get back to our base camp and change hers out I'll get a real measurement.
    It gets rid of the that thin adjusting cord and the extra line locks that they have on the shock cord.
    It leaves the setup the same as what HG has on their UQs. If you go to their site and look at their quilts you can see what I'm talking about.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast