Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Synthetic of choice? Winter on the river...

]I'm looking forward to a Christmas Grand Canyon rafting trip, and intend to hang (of course). I've got a pretty slick stand system I built for my raft frame, but all my insulation is down. I typically run either a 50* or 30* closed-foot 3/4 HG top and either a full HG 20* UQ, or my presence, the Warbonnet 3/4 UQ. I haven't found an UQ that suspends beneath me like that WB UQ.

My question: besides cutting up a couple old synthetic bags as donors, who makes a quality fitting SYNTHETIC INSULATION top quilt and UQ for my river trips where weight and pack volume matter less than every other backcountry pursuit?

EDIT: I've turned up the AHE stuff now that I posted. My trouble is that I already have an AHE UQ, and it's my least favorite due to the half-ssed suspension. Nothing seems as simple or as functional as the WB 3/4 I have with the full length shock cord loop. Maybe I need to take another look as it's been a few years since I bought from AHE? Others?

Thanks- you guys know your stuff!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]184246[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by flatlander1; 02-02-2021 at 15:53.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    For UQ maybe look at the Simply Light Designs Trail Winder.

Enlightened Equipment (among many others) makes Climashield APEX top quilts.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    I have UP synthetic and Climashield quilts. The UP will act just like down as far as setup, if you’re used to down already. And it’s super warm. The trail winder from SLD is a nice piece also, made with climashield, and as nice as UP synthetic is, the climashield trail winder is my go to for most of my camp situations. Wish Jared would make a UP synthetic trail winder. It would be the ultimate for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    Can get UP from Dutch, cedar creek, and loco libre. Apologies for whomever I am missing.
    I would trust simply light designs to make a quality climasheild uq as the rest of his stuff is top notch.
    A climasheild tq can be had from Simple light designs or AHE, among others. A TQ is more forgiving then a uq, so just because you may not have liked AHE uq, don't count them out for a tq.

Alternatively, as long as your positive about your ability to keep your quilts dry, can always just bring your down. But bring extra, down dosent work as well in the damp vs dry.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    The SLD TW is my favorite quilt. Just hook it on to both ends and you are done, no fiddling. It's basically an insulated gathered end hammock under your actual hammock so it fits snug like a glove. It also blocks the wind and moisture. Check it out.

My 20 degree asym TW weighs less than a 20 degree down quilt. It will not pack down as small - I just sort of roll Climashield, but it gets small enough to easily fit in my pack with no issues.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    SLD TW 20° UQ is an UQ that I've been super happy w/.

SLD TW, FTW it seems. That's a pretty compelling design. Was considering moving from my XLC to a RR for this trip, though. Much to determine, but thanks for pointing me in the right direx.

Images
    Can you believe that I have that Yeti you like so well but it is synthetic/Climashield? It has removable layers, with a total weight from about 10 oz to maybe 18-20 oz. And it has always worked wonderfully.

But, that doesn't do you any good, since they only made these for a few months, then had trouble with the CS supply, switched to down and it has been so ever since. Down only. But, great UQs.

Having said how much I like my synthetic Yeti, I actually kind of like the suspension on the AHE Jarbidge. Which is the same style as on my older JRBs, and is the same type still on the full length JRBs. (The shorter JRB Greylocks have a surround suspension like the Yeti), But that suspension actually has some advantages for me. For one, it has no need for a secondary suspension like most UQs these days have, or need. I think it is lighter than a full surround suspension, but that is no factor for you. And I have noticed with my AHE Jarbidge, fits me better than some UQs I have tried. Some full length UQs seem to sag away from the left leg when my feet are to the right. (the Jarbidge is not full length, but almost). But this Jarbidge seems to stay closer to my left leg than most I have used, and doesn't seem to need a lot of adjustment or have a lot of fiddle factor. So, I sort of like it, but if you don't I guess that one is out. Too bad, most seem to think their UQs work pretty good.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander1 View Post
    SLD TW, FTW it seems. That's a pretty compelling design. Was considering moving from my XLC to a RR for this trip, though. Much to determine, but thanks for pointing me in the right direx.
    Arrowhead equipment ridge creek is the synthetic quilt for that hammock. Loco libre also makes a UP version that fits the ridge runner.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfly View Post
    Arrowhead equipment ridge creek is the synthetic quilt for that hammock. Loco libre also makes a UP version that fits the ridge runner.

Oh, I missed that part about the WBRR. Well, a Yeti may or may not work well with a WBRR, but I can attest that the AHE Ridge Creek most assuredly does! And any concerns you (Flatlander) might have had about the suspension differences between AHE and Yeti would be moot. On the full length version of the AHE, there is no suspension, it simply clips on and then fits like a glove. They have a shorter version, which probably has some sort of suspension on the foot end, but still fits like a glove from what I have heard.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast