Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Just an FY!: I hung for years from untreated(but not in the ground) 2X4. The key was the top rail bar that spanned the 15 ft between the uprights and prevented any flex. Now, this was fence top rail in segments that was beefed up near the joints with a slightly larger diameter fence upright posts, with the top rail paced thru a few feet of the stouter fence post at any joints. As far as I could tell, it never flexed any amount that could be noticed. Probably could have also simply used another 2X4 - or even 2 of them if I was worried- for that top rail. But, I see that ascetics are important to you, so you probably will need something else. But, maybe not 6X6?

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UQ Lynx Full
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Wow. That's awesome.

UPDATE: It's starting to become clear that building a "hammock pergola" in the backyard is going to be cost prohibitive. I just don't want to spend the money.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    If there are any marinas around, check to see where they got the pilings they used to build the docks. At my house on the coast, pier pilings are available in all diameters and length. I used 7 to 8 inch diameter and 12 ft long post and buried them 3+ feet deep on top of several inches of gravel and tamped the dirt in as I backfilled.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I sunk a 4x6 in the ground 16 feet from a tree and used this so I can put it up and take it down. Works perfectly for my Warbonnet RR hammock. I put the pole up when not in use.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Post-Pro...4642/203165680

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I was building a privacy fence and the guy at the lumberyard ( a real one) suggested I coat the portion that goes underground with foundation coating. It seems to have worked really well. The posts seem to be totally sealed and I am guessing it will extend the life considerably. If and when I set posts for a hammock, I will do this.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WL OMW, DW Hex
    Insulation
    Lynx & Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cilp Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanLowdermilk View Post
    UPDATE: Spoken to a few folks this morning. 6x6, 12' cedar posts are running ~$200-300 each right now! Whoa, mama! I emailed Greg over at Warbonnet to ensure the optimal distance between posts for the Ridgerunner. Here is his helpful (and speedy) reply:

Ryan,With just using the dogbones, not the continuous loop or other suspension options 13' minimum. With suspension 14-16 would work well. The farther the distance between the two poles, the higher the anchor will have to be.
    Regards,
    Greg
    4x6 pressure treated should last for years. Maybe not quite as long as cedar but probably as long as you own the house.

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WL OMW, DW Hex
    Insulation
    Lynx & Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cilp Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanLowdermilk View Post
    Yes - If "looks" aren't a pre-req than treated for sure. However, I need to be cognizant of ascetics. So, cedar is required.
    You could always wrap the 4x6 pressure treated posts with 1x cedar boards and stain them to make it look more "acceptable".

Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    I was building a privacy fence and the guy at the lumberyard ( a real one) suggested I coat the portion that goes underground with foundation coating. It seems to have worked really well. The posts seem to be totally sealed and I am guessing it will extend the life considerably. If and when I set posts for a hammock, I will do this.
    Sounds like a great idea for cedar, especially considering the nice look above ground. But it would seem to be overkill with treated lumber, but then treated lumber is a bit ugly anyway without a finish on it. I wonder if using untreated S-F-P would hold up with foundation coating(?) It seems that anything other than cedar or redwood is probably going to require some sort of finish above ground anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by WVwanderer View Post
    4x6 pressure treated should last for years. Maybe not quite as long as cedar but probably as long as you own the house.
    FWIW, treated would probably outlast cedar. but it seems that aesthetics are important here and treated is probably not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by WVwanderer View Post
    You could always wrap the 4x6 pressure treated posts with 1x cedar boards and stain them to make it look more "acceptable".
    ^^^^^^^ excellent solution !

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast