Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    @cmoulder.. glad your wife enjoyed it and Im glad she thinks you (we) are nutz. Lmao.. as does my wife and it puts me at ease knowing she feels the same!!! Hahaaaa

@Mikem... yup.. no ****.. that up up up got my attention both days, but i will say.. i enjoy the suffering... "The Man on TOP of the Mountain did NOT Fall there!!" Its true, some of the best spots you have to work a little harder to get too.

@bobonli... yes, the shelters were pretty nice. I really like the first one, Wiley lean to but 10 mile lean to was well kept also and by far was located in a MUCH nicer spot. FYI.. the water well at 10 mile lean to was alive and pumping water at the same flow rate as my bathtub at home!!!

@brutalguyracing.. I think you hike faster then you think you do, or or leading us on to think?? Lololol. It seems to me that you are all set. You have what you need to survive a night in those temperatures.. you are confident in your ability to hike solo and even camp solo. You have a great personality and great sense of humor too!!! It was a pleasure meeting you and hopefully we can get out again in the future for some trips.. Don't underestimate yourself.. you definitely got what it takes!!!!

@ cmoulder and mikem.. awesome finally getting out on the trail with you guys!!! Many years have gone by and I am glad our paths finally aligned and we met up.. Like you said cmoulder.. "life happens"... however.. I am looking forward to more trips in the future.. and hopefully our paths will align again soon!!!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    @Dirtbaghiker... you inspired me to try the ground setup again, just so I don't completely lose the ability to use it when the hammock isn't practical... or possible.

BGR, your kit is really getting dialed in nicely and as your training plan progresses I think you're gonna turn into a trail monster! You must've really skeedaddled up Ten Mile hill yesterday... we weren't that far behind you and you were gone in a flash!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    @cmoulder.. Well I love my hammock and prefer my hammock any time. When I saw a big open field in front of 10 Mile lean to, I decided it was a good time to test the Lunar Solo.
    Nothing beats cowboy camping with a small tarp ( if it rains/snows), in big open fields like that to star gaze on clear nights though. Tough choices because I really get the best nights sleep in my hammock!
    The tent is nice for interior personal space.. Which the Lunar Solo has plenty of.. It also kept my pack weight and space down a bit not needing the under quilt.. But man, I did miss that swaddleing in my hammock and solid nights sleep!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Well I've already hinted and threatened a couple of times to bring a tent/mat but the hammock has won out each and every time.

Got me thinking, if there's no precip I could bring my 6oz bivy and go all-in cowboy.

My back hurts just thinking about it, tho...........
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Back to the hike.....I've cycled a bit up there, never realized the AT ran right through where I was pedaling!

How is the parking situation? Any issues with leaving the car overnight?
    It looks like there are short out & back versions that can be done depending on where you park.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I've now parked up there a few times, having done Nuclear and Schaghticoke on various occasions. Never an issue parking on Pawling Rt 22 which has a bunch of parking, and at Algo (Kent CT) which has room for about 10-12 cars but can fill up *very* quickly in the summer if you don't get there seriously early. The Algo shelter is about 0.3mi off the road and is super-popular with car campers. At Hoyt road where it crosses the AT there's room for about 4 cars and maybe 6 in warmer weather without the snow berm. Never had a car broken into, but of course there's always that feeling of relief as you approach the trail head parking and your car is still there, and then another sigh of relief to find that nobody messed with it while you were gone.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Thanks. I'm more concerned with parking tickets or getting towed!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Also, an easy approach to Ten Mile shelter could be had by parking on Schaghticoke Rd at the intersection of Bulls Bridge Rd, then follow AT south back to Ten Mile. It's about 1.4 mi with total 300' vertical.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Thanks. I'm more concerned with parking tickets or getting towed!
    Nope... no worries at all with that.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbaghiker View Post
    @cmoulder.. Well I love my hammock and prefer my hammock any time. When I saw a big open field in front of 10 Mile lean to, I decided it was a good time to test the Lunar Solo.
    Nothing beats cowboy camping with a small tarp ( if it rains/snows), in big open fields like that to star gaze on clear nights though. Tough choices because I really get the best nights sleep in my hammock!
    The tent is nice for interior personal space.. Which the Lunar Solo has plenty of.. It also kept my pack weight and space down a bit not needing the under quilt.. But man, I did miss that swaddleing in my hammock and solid nights sleep!!
    I almost took my Lunar Solo on my recent trip to the Guadalupe Mtns. Nat'l Park over New Year's but ultimately decided to go with my Hilliberg tarp. The Park Service there does not allow hammocks in the backcountry and add to that you have to carry all your cooking/drinking water, I opted for the near lightest set up I had. Like cmoulder commented about being out of practice, I hadn't ground tarped in quite some time & had to practice with it a bit in the backyard prior to the trip!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast