Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UQ Lynx Full
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Question New RR and Thunderfly owner confirming suspension and ridgeline choice

Hi all,

I just purchased my first, ever hammock. I grabbed a Warbonnet Ridgerunner paired with a Thunderfly tarp. I was thinking about going with these two Myers products for my suspension and ridgeline. I wanted light and easy. I'm not afraid to tie knots and figured (knowing me) that down the line I would want light, easy and adjustable, so figured I would just start that way. Any thoughts?

Dyneema Hammock tree straps w/ EVO loops, becket hitch kit | eBay
    Tarp ridge line Lime green nama claw ultra light dyneema line 33 foot | eBay

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Ryanlowdermilk, I see this is your second post so welcome to the forum. If you have read posts here for a while, you know there can be several schools of thought on an issue - sort of like some people like oatmeal raisin cookies, some like chocolate chip and some like macaroons. Those people can usually get along.

So when you say you want it easy and adjustable, I’d go with webbing and buckles or daisy chain and a light weight carabiner (like WarBonnet sells). At the tree end, you could use something like a Dutch Clip or EVO loop (EVO is much less expensive). Nothing wrong with knowing and using knots. But, to me, they are not so much on the “easy” part of the scale. Reason is, often you have to adjust something about the hammock after you first set it up. They may mean untying and retying those knots.

I’m switching my tarps over to dyneema line and nama claws. The tree ends have just a Dutch hook - or I’ve had luck with a metal mitten hook where I removed the metal “gate”. Note that I am coming off the side of the tree with my tarp line, not off the middle. That puts much less stress on the hook. On the other side I’m using a Dutch Wasp. But a Figure-9 on a prusik would work as well. After two loosing battles with tarp deployment in high wind, I became a snakeskin convert. So easy now.

So it’s one of those things where you have three desires but you can only pick two (light, easy, inexpensive). You know your priorities. If you really dig knots, you can skip some hardware. If you really like “no fuss - easy adjustment”, you’ll be using some metal - but it doesn’t have to be heavy.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I tried a few different suspension types before I settled on MyersTech dyneema straps with evo loops and a marlinspike hitch to a pair of whoopie slings he sells. To me it’s the best combo of ease of use, lightweight, and adjustability.

But you’re new in this hammock journey! Try it out and if you don’t like it move on to the next suspension type.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I tried the backet hitch with my RR initially and found after a solid load it was annoying to undo. Also I preferred the quick adjustability of the whoopie slings. For my RR I use the following:

RR Whoopies Suspension (whoopie permanently attached to the RR end)
    2 fishhooks - One on the end of the dynawave tree straps to making moving it around the tree branches easier
    2 ul bear toggles - Use these to marlin spike the whoopie onto the tree straps

Get to camp, put up the dynaweave and normally just put the toggle as close to the tree as possible since I almost never find trees outside of minimum hang distance. Then loop one end of the RR onto a toggle, open up the stuff sac the RR is in and run the other strap over to the toggle already up. The whoopies give good fine tuning and if I need trees super far apart I can extend the whoopie out or move the toggle for a really long hang. Teardown is just pulling the whoopie loops off the toggle, pull the toggle out and then unhook the tree strap.

Enjoy your new RR!
    Last edited by Adroa; 02-01-2021 at 23:55.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    Bear in mind, I don't hike. I motorcycle camp. Been using exclusively hammocks for about 10 year. I have 2 RRs (one for wife) & around 20 gathered end hammocks (I outfit the whole famdamley).

Over the first few years I tried about every suspension possible. I always make my own. I have went to straps & cinch buckles. I lace the buckle into continuous loops for the hammock end. I buy 100' rolls of strap material from Dutch which I cut into 12.5' lengths. Wife sews the loop on 1 end which gets a climbing beaner.

Quickest, easiest suspension I've ran across & weight is as light as others.
    Walk up to the tree. Sling the beaner around it & click. Pull the strap that's through the buckle & that's it. 're adjustments are just as quick.

• + New Posts