WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WL OMW, DW Hex
    Insulation
    Lynx & Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cilp Straps

Dutchware Plastic Quilt Hanger Failure

So, I was trying out and fitting my new WB Wooki XL on my Chameleon the other day. The Chameleon does not have the whipped knot s like the WB Blackbird so you need something to hang loop on the head end of the Wooki to your continuous loop. I remembered that I had a pair of DW quilt hangers and I thought that's the perfect ultralight piece of bling for the task. Well I quickly found out that was not the case. I got the quilt hung and as I sat back into the hammock I heard "pink" and my Wooki fell to the ground. I guess I had it too tight and my ample weight was too much for that little piece of plastic to resist. Luckily I was able to find a mini-biner that would work. So, lesson of story is that the plastic quilt hangers are made for shock cord suspensions and not for Wooki type suspensions. I take full responsibility for not recognizing this from the start.

There are quilt hangers and quilt hooks. Was it a hanger that failed? I guess I can see where it might not be enough for a Wooki with that substantial stretchy band. Sounds like a mini 'biner is just the ticket.
    Last edited by TominMN; 01-30-2021 at 20:14.

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WL OMW, DW Hex
    Insulation
    Lynx & Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cilp Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    There are quilt hangers and quilt hooks. Was it a hanger that failed? I guess I can see where it might not be enough for a Wooki with that substantial stretchy band. Sounds like a mini 'biner is just the ticket.
    It was the quilt hanger that failed. Snapped the hook off the end. Everything I've read says you want the Wooki tight to the bottom of your hammock and plastic hardware is not strong enough.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you hung your Wooki under the Chameleon without extending the suspension, you are very lucky that it were only the quilt hangers that broke. In its original state, the Wooki will only fit under the longer Warbonnet hammocks, or a hammock with the exact same length. However, the Chameleon is quite a bit longer. If the quilt hangers or the rubber band would not have failed, you might be shopping for a new Wooki now.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    But you're right that the plastic quilt hangers are not made to take a lot of pull. I broke one even with my Incubator. And as you said, the Wooki is creating quite a bit more force. I have even bent a couple of mini biners when adjusting the suspension length.

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WL OMW, DW Hex
    Insulation
    Lynx & Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cilp Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    If you hung your Wooki under the Chameleon without extending the suspension, you are very lucky that it were only the quilt hangers that broke. In its original state, the Wooki will only fit under the longer Warbonnet hammocks, or a hammock with the exact same length. However, the Chameleon is quite a bit longer. If the quilt hangers or the rubber band would not have failed, you might be shopping for a new Wooki now.
    Yes, I did extend the Wooki head end loop 2" or so but apparantly that was not enough. In fitting I ended up extending the loop another 2" to get the Wooki placed where I liked it.

• + New Posts