SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    Update: have a couple HD s-biners to play with now, but no dice on fixing the cold spots yet. Sun went down and there went the heat. I've still got air pockets in the same spots.
    One thing I've noticed with my HG and UQs that have this sort of suspension is that I am much warmer when I get a good flat lay in the hammock. I think it makes sense - you are flattening out and having more area touching more down. Anyhow, just a thought or something to try. I think this also makes gaps less likely.

One of the members of my family likes to lay very straight, no right or wrong way, but it might be a good experiment to try.

I love the design of the HGs with a differential cut I think they call it. You can't really have the main suspension too high up because the inner layer can be quite tight and the down will still be fluffy. Genius. Obviously, it only needs a certain tension to work, but I'm saying you are better off too tight rather than too loose.

Good luck.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    This is what made all the difference for me
    A shock cord up and over ridgeline down by my legs
    20210129_182831.jpg20210129_182825.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    It's been mentioned but how long are you trying it out? I can definitely confirm that if I just get in my hammock, I will have "cold spots" in a few places that will go away, as my body is heating things up.

Also, and YMMV, I think because I use a sleeping bag in TQ mode, I do tuck some of it under my back because I like to use the hood, which inevitably has some of it running under my back, just the temperature differential of where there's bag under my back vs. just the UQ will "feel" cold, even though it isn't really cold. Our bodies seem to be really good at feeling this temperature differential and telling us that one part of the body is colder than another.

One of the first things I did with my Incubator was to replace the plastic S-biners. So flimsy. It's the one thing I didn't like about the Incubator, but everything else has been awesome. In case you haven't seen, there's this thread on getting some UQ stuff dialed in, even though it's more about 'long term coldness' than 'cold in the first half hour of getting in the hammock': https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...41#post2044141

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by arutha View Post
    It's been mentioned but how long are you trying it out? I can definitely confirm that if I just get in my hammock, I will have "cold spots" in a few places that will go away, as my body is heating things up.

Also, and YMMV, I think because I use a sleeping bag in TQ mode, I do tuck some of it under my back because I like to use the hood, which inevitably has some of it running under my back, just the temperature differential of where there's bag under my back vs. just the UQ will "feel" cold, even though it isn't really cold. Our bodies seem to be really good at feeling this temperature differential and telling us that one part of the body is colder than another.

One of the first things I did with my Incubator was to replace the plastic S-biners. So flimsy. It's the one thing I didn't like about the Incubator, but everything else has been awesome. In case you haven't seen, there's this thread on getting some UQ stuff dialed in, even though it's more about 'long term coldness' than 'cold in the first half hour of getting in the hammock': https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...41#post2044141
    It's definitely long term coldness. When I first get in, it feels alright, then the cold slowly seeps in at the bottom left of my butt then gradually works up to between the shoulder blades. I've been in the hammock about an hour now just below 40*. Strung up a shock cord over the ridgeline 30 minutes ago behind my back. Worked for a while, but heat is gone now....again.

Now, to your other point...maybe it is just psychological. The changes today have improved the feeling from ice cube on my backside to laying on a rock on a cool day. Maybe I'm being OCD trying to get my back as warm as my front feels. What's a good UQ fit supposed to feel like?

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Take a bright flashlight and lite up your quilt
    Look for any low volume of down goodness

As mentioned above
    Most times it take me up to an hour to come to up to complete warmth
    Wiggle around find that sweet spot
    Make sure top quilt is snug around your shoulders
    And have a good head covering

Eat something before going in for the night

Enjoy
    Best of luck

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

HW,

If you havent done so, like Shug mentioned, add an Underquilt Protector to your set up. This allows for a less than perfect setup to work, by cutting down on drafts.

Dont get frustrated. Keep at it. Find another Hammocker who lives near you to help you out. Attend a nearby hang.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Draketake View Post
    Find another Hammocker who lives near you to help you out. Attend a nearby hang.
    With COVID-19 lurking, this might not be the easiest advice to take, but I've never even tried to adjust my UQ by myself. You need an experienced hanger to check out your setup and make sure it's all good. Then you can sleep without imagining cold spots (which is very easy to do).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    It's definitely long term coldness. When I first get in, it feels alright, then the cold slowly seeps in at the bottom left of my butt then gradually works up to between the shoulder blades. I've been in the hammock about an hour now just below 40*. Strung up a shock cord over the ridgeline 30 minutes ago behind my back. Worked for a while, but heat is gone now....again.

Now, to your other point...maybe it is just psychological. The changes today have improved the feeling from ice cube on my backside to laying on a rock on a cool day. Maybe I'm being OCD trying to get my back as warm as my front feels. What's a good UQ fit supposed to feel like?
    If it's long term, it might be what I had the day before yesterday. I had taken the whole setup apart and had to put it up while it was dark and I effed it up. The Incubator wasn't in the right position and kept going underneath me instead of staying on my shoulder. The TQ kept having a 'leak' on the top left as well. All in all, I was still warm enough to not get a cold or anything, but it didn't feel comfortable at all and I wasn't sleepy enough to just doze off and instead was fiddling around all the time.

The best feel I've had yet was when I finally hit my 0F. I had a merino long sleeve shirt, pullover, down vest and fleece wind jacket on with cotton pants and bare foot. See the thread I linked to. I was toasty toasty warm (until I had to pee ). What we're sorta diagnosing on that thread is that you can both be too cold from being over insulated and under insulated. For me it started out with being over insulated close to the body while the temps were way too warm still and basically sweating. My feet are very prone to that it seems. Even very loose wool socks are really bad for me personally, while other people seem to need down booties in the hammock, the best sleep I've had has been bare foot at -0.2F.

Keep trying and dialing in! It's fun! (Just keep trying it where you can bail before you actually freeze )

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by arutha View Post
    If it's long term, it might be what I had the day before yesterday. I had taken the whole setup apart and had to put it up while it was dark and I effed it up. The Incubator wasn't in the right position and kept going underneath me instead of staying on my shoulder. The TQ kept having a 'leak' on the top left as well. All in all, I was still warm enough to not get a cold or anything, but it didn't feel comfortable at all and I wasn't sleepy enough to just doze off and instead was fiddling around all the time.

The best feel I've had yet was when I finally hit my 0F. I had a merino long sleeve shirt, pullover, down vest and fleece wind jacket on with cotton pants and bare foot. See the thread I linked to. I was toasty toasty warm (until I had to pee ). What we're sorta diagnosing on that thread is that you can both be too cold from being over insulated and under insulated. For me it started out with being over insulated close to the body while the temps were way too warm still and basically sweating. My feet are very prone to that it seems. Even very loose wool socks are really bad for me personally, while other people seem to need down booties in the hammock, the best sleep I've had has been bare foot at -0.2F.

Keep trying and dialing in! It's fun! (Just keep trying it where you can bail before you actually freeze )
    Yeah, this will be the 5th attempt. I gutted out the first 2, but it wasn't fun. I bailed the last 2. I've been fiddling all day and finally went to Walmart to get some bungee and a CCF pad. With it all together, I'm warm enough I might just sweat myself cold. Lol, careful what you wish for I suppose. I'm going to figure this out soon enough, damnit. With the tips today, I'm getting closer.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    What they said is cooking with gas. Especially Shug and his great advice. There is a wealth of knowledge here from all hangers.

One thing I learned from Shug is that the underquilt should lift empty hammock.

I hang hammock
    I hang underquilt, but do not put it under and around hammock as if I was gonna use it
    Instead I hang underquilt in front of and beside hammock
    The entire length of underquilt all along bottom should be about a foot higher than bottom of hammock along its entire length.

After checking that, then I pull underquilt into its place to be used for sleeping.

Below 30* I might use a zero* underquilt
    Below 20* I might use two underquilts a 20* and zero* stacked.
    I put the 20* closest to hammock and the zero* on outside. The 20* underquilt will be a bit smashed and lose some of its loft. The zero* underquilt will be on outside, so that it will not lose any loft. Also by smashing the 20* a bit, there is less chance of air gaps. And even still, the 20* underquilt does not lose all of its insulation ability.

As SilvrSurfr says, get an experienced hammocker to check your hammock insulation with you in your hammock.

Sometimes I get a cold spot. I’ve got to warm up to the idea that I’m human...somewhat

The best cold weather hammock campers do not smash the underquilt that is closest to hammock.
    They get full loft in both underquilts, when stacking for optimum warmth.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast