Thread: Please help

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*

Please help

Alright, so debated bumping some previous threads, but decided to start the thread you've probably seen many a time before so please bear with me. I've watched the shug videos, read a dozen+ threads, have tried what I think is every possible combination (including trying to put a down throw between the underquilt and hammock figuring it would loft into any air gaps) and still just can't get my underquilt to work for me. As mentioned in my introduction post, I got the HG Wanderlust kit which comes with their full length incubator 20* rated. As it currently stands, I wouldn't feel safe taking it backpacking below 50* which is a shame because the top quilt is plenty warm down as low as temperatures have gotten in my testing (27*).

So, in the first post, I'll ask some generic questions where the advice I've seen is either confusing or, at times, contradictory.

1) For a full length quilt, should the top of the quilt be above your head or at the shoulders. Bonus points if someone can tell me where my butt should be relative to the leg shelf.
    2) Similarly, should you be lying at a diagonal on the quilt and, therefore, be clinching down the secondary suspension on the corners where your head and feet are.... or should you be biasing the quilt to lie as much on the same diagonal as you as possible which would require tightening the other secondary suspension.
    3) Isn't there inherently an air gap created by geometry from your low point to the foot end side opposite where you have your feet? How does one get rid of that gap and the similar but much smaller one on the head end? No matter how well you fit the cinch ends or even seal the sides, these areas where the quilt isn't against the hammock fabric will create cold spots (cold air inside the hammock will cool down those air pockets).

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Second post is my setup process.

First: hammock by itself.

Second: underquilt attached, no additional tension on secondary or cinch ends.

Third: adding tension to secondary suspension. I've tried totally loose to convinced the shock cord will break tight.

Fourth: ends tightened. Head, then foot.

Fifth: me in hammock (yes, in a different spot) looking at the ends. I find it warmer when I tug the foot around to my feet being more at the bottom of the V.

Sixth: me inside the hammock with my left hand on the cold spot. This cool air will eventually cool down my left hip and my entire back. I've tried tying the d rings on the quilt to opposite sides to REALLY pull the quilt up against my back to no avail. Where my hand is corresponds to the only location I can feel cold air. I've tried a couple ways to pull the top of the quilt on that side up against the hammock fabric which helps a little temporarily, but there's still a pocket of air there that will eventually cool down due to the cold air up against the hammock fabric.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Some additional thoughts:
    1) When I feel the cold all along my back, I will try reaching out and pulling the sides up against me more and do not feel any additional warmth along my back in doing so, even when I have absolutely 0 tension on the secondary suspension. The only benefit I've noticed is that it kind of pulls the quilt up on my sides which is nice, but not the bigger issue. Is it possible the primary suspension is too tight?
    2) I'm going to go buy a cheap Walmart CCF pad today to see if that helps.
    3) would a wind sock or even UQP help heat up air pockets or is the only benefit to keep wind from scouring away heat?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    Alright, so debated bumping some previous threads, but decided to start the thread you've probably seen many a time before so please bear with me. I've watched the shug videos, read a dozen+ threads, have tried what I think is every possible combination (including trying to put a down throw between the underquilt and hammock figuring it would loft into any air gaps) and still just can't get my underquilt to work for me. As mentioned in my introduction post, I got the HG Wanderlust kit which comes with their full length incubator 20* rated. As it currently stands, I wouldn't feel safe taking it backpacking below 50* which is a shame because the top quilt is plenty warm down as low as temperatures have gotten in my testing (27*).

So, in the first post, I'll ask some generic questions where the advice I've seen is either confusing or, at times, contradictory.

1) For a full length quilt, should the top of the quilt be above your head or at the shoulders. Bonus points if someone can tell me where my butt should be relative to the leg shelf.
    2) Similarly, should you be lying at a diagonal on the quilt and, therefore, be clinching down the secondary suspension on the corners where your head and feet are.... or should you be biasing the quilt to lie as much on the same diagonal as you as possible which would require tightening the other secondary suspension.
    3) Isn't there inherently an air gap created by geometry from your low point to the foot end side opposite where you have your feet? How does one get rid of that gap and the similar but much smaller one on the head end? No matter how well you fit the cinch ends or even seal the sides, these areas where the quilt isn't against the hammock fabric will create cold spots (cold air inside the hammock will cool down those air pockets).
    You for sure have user error as those are proven UQs.
    It looks as if you are not tightening the Primary suspension enough from your photo explanation.
    The UQ should be right at your neck under your shoulders. If it is higher than that it can cause a gap.
    I'll add this video even though you may have seen it.
    Good luck. When you get it dialed in you'll be happy.
    UQ protectors do help seal gaps a bit.
    Shug

Last edited by Shug; 01-29-2021 at 10:25.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    I have also use a piece of shock cord about at my knees
    Up and over the ridge line and back down to the underquilt
    It helped me eliminate a pocket and holds my top quilt in place at the same time, when I exit the hammock
    Granted I dont use a bug not in winter so you may have to find how it will work for you
    Love my hg 20* quilts
    Best of luck

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Mantis UL
    Tarp
    Mantis Rainfly
    Suspension
    Python 10 UL
    HW, I'm new to hammocking and far from an expert. Just based on your photos alone:

In the first one, it looks like your angles are much greater than 30 degrees and your ridgeline tight? I find that my Incubator only works well once my hammock is hung correctly.
    In the second one, it seems like your secondary is so tight that it causes the ridgeline to change tension. I don't think you will find it necessary to tighten the secondary that much once the hammock is hung right (at least that is my experience with it)

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    You for sure have user error as those are proven UQs.
    It looks as if you are not tightening the Primary suspension enough from your photo explanation.
    The UQ should be right at your neck under your shoulders. If it is higher than that it can cause a gap.
    I'll add this video even though you may have seen it.
    Good luck. When you get it dialed in you'll be happy.
    UQ protectors do help seal gaps a bit.
    Shug

See updated primary suspension. A little hard to tell with the sun, but still feel the cold along my back from left hip to just below my ribs on the right. Tighter still?

Edit: got a little more on the diagonal and cold spot improved, so answers my own question. Yes, tighter still.

Last edited by Hang Williams; 01-29-2021 at 11:01.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    See updated primary suspension. A little hard to tell with the sun, but still feel the cold along my back from left hip to just below my ribs on the right. Tighter still?

Edit: got a little more on the diagonal and cold spot improved, so answers my own question. Yes, tighter still.

It should lift the hammock up. I'd keep trying tighter.
    Also sometimes you need to lay there a bit to start to feel the warmth. Keep at it.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    This is what your empty hammock should look like with the UQ attached- it should lift it up significantly. The shock cord won't break, it's stretchier than it seems.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Let's start with hanging the hammock.

Picture 5? Looks like the hammock ridgeline is very loose.... Can you confirm?

When you are laying in the hammock, the ridgeline should be taut and running straight from head end to foot end of hammock with no sag.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast