Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    Let's start with hanging the hammock.

Picture 5? Looks like the hammock ridgeline is very loose.... Can you confirm?

When you are laying in the hammock, the ridgeline should be taut and running straight from head end to foot end of hammock with no sag.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    It probably was in that picture. I'm just barely getting the 90* now.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    This is what your empty hammock should look like with the UQ attached- it should lift it up significantly. The shock cord won't break, it's stretchier than it seems.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Gotta be careful getting into the hammock with the UQ that thigh tough. It is easy to loose track of the hammock. My daughter once got in and gathered the hammock under her so when she sat back she over shot the hammock and went into the UQ only. Yes that UQ suspension is very streatchy. Straight to the ground she went. This was at Grayson Highlands. Her first thought among the laughing about what just happened, was whether she landed in pony poop or not.

I also found I would tighten the cross tension too much and this can cause cold drafts.
    Another observation I find is when I first get in the air between the hammock and UQ will be cold. Takes 10-15 min. of laying in the hammock to heat up that air from body temp. By 1/2 hour in or so all is good. Just a thought if you are basing your cold back syndrome on the first 5 min. of being in your hammock. (does anyone else experience this or am I also hanging it wrong?)

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Here's the empty hammock being lifted in line with my 1053 am post

Pulled in primary some more:

It was definitely tight up against me, but I needed to get on more of a diagonal to check that....

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Anyone know where to get replacement s biners relatively quickly? Might go check if HD has something. And dial it back about 20% there.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Gotta be careful getting into the hammock with the UQ that thigh tough. It is easy to loose track of the hammock. My daughter once got in and gathered the hammock under her so when she sat back she over shot the hammock and went into the UQ only. Yes that UQ suspension is very streatchy. Straight to the ground she went. This was at Grayson Highlands. Her first thought among the laughing about what just happened, was whether she landed in pony poop or not.

I also found I would tighten the cross tension too much and this can cause cold drafts.
    Another observation I find is when I first get in the air between the hammock and UQ will be cold. Takes 10-15 min. of laying in the hammock to heat up that air from body temp. By 1/2 hour in or so all is good. Just a thought if you are basing your cold back syndrome on the first 5 min. of being in your hammock. (does anyone else experience this or am I also hanging it wrong?)
    The suspension on this UQ was set for an 11' hammock straight from the manufacturer. I was initially concerned that it was too short, so I contacted them. They assured me that all was good. A tip I have for anyone entering a hammock is to gather the hammock and UQ with one hand, then use the other hand to spread the hammock body out behind you before lying down. This will eliminate the risk of over-shooting it and falling out the backside.

That said, it's almost a "rite of passage" for any true hammocker to lay down in their UQ at least once!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Most hardware stores carry s-biners.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    Anyone know where to get replacement s biners relatively quickly? Might go check if HD has something. And dial it back about 20% there.
    Now that primary is tightened...loosen the secondary some and then work from there.
    This is why I think the Superior Gear hammock https://superiorgear.com I have been using this Winter is so good with the built in UQ. It really helps new folks who often struggle and get frustrated by getting a UQ dialed in.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    If you can wait for the mail, PM me your address and I'll send you a couple.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Also maybe try migrating the down a bit
    And how did u break a s biner?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
    Also maybe try migrating the down a bit
    And how did u break a s biner?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I'm guessing the primary suspension was just a bit too tight (top of the UQ was roughly eye level). Need to back off on secondary as well. I adjusted body position to more diagonal and wasn't gentle enough.

I will say the mechanical engineer in me appreciates that the failure point is a $2 clip that functionally in the field can be replaced by a good knot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast