Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    So where that circled area becomes a problem is two part:
    1) it continues to my left knee and calf if I'm lying in figure 4. Goes straight to my left hip otherwise.
    2) if I don't get it perfectly right under my butt or back, then the cold air can get from the left into those spots when I shift around.

Other areas of the hammock I can touch and feel the UQ pushing back, but down there I cannot.
    Not sure if this was suggested or not, but have you tried pulling your secondary suspension tighter? This stretches the UQ outward more, and helps get the quilt to lift a little more in the middle. Also, try adjusting the secondary suspension on the bias- meaning that you'll tighten the linelocs by your head and feet more than the other two. This will skew the quilt more in the direction of your body. Again, I apologize if this was already suggested and tried.

Lastly, as I look at your more recent pictures, it looks like your UQ would only lift the hammock by a few inches when empty. By comparison, my UQ lifts the hammock by almost a foot (pic for reference). So it's possible that your primary suspension may still need to be further tightened.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Not sure if this was suggested or not, but have you tried pulling your secondary suspension tighter? This stretches the UQ outward more, and helps get the quilt to lift a little more in the middle. Also, try adjusting the secondary suspension on the bias- meaning that you'll tighten the linelocs by your head and feet more than the other two. This will skew the quilt more in the direction of your body. Again, I apologize if this was already suggested and tried.

Lastly, as I look at your more recent pictures, it looks like your UQ would only lift the hammock by a few inches when empty. By comparison, my UQ lifts the hammock by almost a foot. So it's possible that your primary suspension may still need to be further tightened.
    My wife tightened it down a bit more while I was in it last night, so here's what it looks like now.

Images
    My wife tightened it down a bit more while I was in it last night, so here's what it looks like now.
    That is certainly plenty tight enough. That is tight enough that in the days of UQs that did not have a differential cut, all loft would be flattened. Believe it or, people used to somehow use UQs with some success, with no dif cut, and simply managed to get the UQ just tight enough to be in contact with their back, but not so tight so as too crush loft more than just a little.

In fact, that is how I used to do it in my old Speer Pea Pod. It did not have a dif cut. I would tighten it( with non elastic nylon cords on each end) enough so that there was a gap of an inch or 3 or 6 between the pod and hammock, lay down in it and close the pod over me. Then I would feel down below to see if the down was touching my back and butt. If I could feel any apparent gaps, I would tighten it up just enough to hopefully close that gap, and check it again. That would usually do it and that never failed to keep me warm enough down to 20ºF. Sometimes, if wanting to go lower than the rating, I would leave a gap on purpose and throw a puffy jacket between hammock and pod. Always worked in a most excellent fashion.

But looking at your last picture, you for sure don't need any tighter. Has that degree of tightness helped? I'm wondering if it is possible to get that thing too tight? I don't know, Hang, wishing you luck!

BTW: I know you want it to work like it is supposed to, but for emergencies (so to speak), if you have cold spot, a cut down piece cheap Walmart blue pad, placed strategically(and serving dual use as a sit pad), will solve those problems until you do get it figured out. It is not optimal, but it is better than not being able to sleep because of a bad cold spot.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle

Had to break out the step ladder, but now it's tight enough where that's the furthest I can bend it with one hand. The circled area is the area that I haven't figured out how to get the hammock in contact with the UQ. Should I even be trying to get contact there or is that not the point? I can get the ends and side to seal up.
    Ok. I think we are getting somewhere... I know exactly what you are referring to and can pretty easily replicate it on my setup.

Three things that you can try that will help with that area.

First, make sure that the end cinches are not too tight. Less is more on the foot end. Unfortunately, this is a try and error one and it's hard to get this right by yourself. You don't want the cinch deforming the quilt so that the suspension can't do it's job.
    20210201_145328.jpg

Second - I go against the flow here. I utilize the quilt hook opposite my feet and shoulder. I sleep feet-right and use the quilt hook on the LEFT side at the foot end and RIGHT side at the head end. The whole reason I use them in this fashion is to help with the exact problem you are facing.

20210201_145317.jpg

Finally - I cut my suspension (evenly of course) and utilize a separate attachment point at each corner. The reason for this is that if there is a single attachment point, it comes up from the bottom of the hammock. Utilizing separate attachments allows me to 'flip' the suspension up over the hammock and provide extra lift. Doing this step almost eliminates the need for step 2, but if the hammock has quilt hooks, I still utilize them.

Suspension under hammock as if using the single carabiner:
    20210201_145420.jpg

Suspension 'flipped' up and over the hammock:
    20210201_145409.jpg

Close up of how I attached the mini-biners:
    20210201_145509.jpg
    20210201_145519.jpg

This sounds like a lot of fiddling, but once you do it enough, much like anything else, it becomes second nature.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    To me, that looks better. Give it a try when you're able, and let us know if that made any more difference.

I know I said this before, but I was concerned that the suspension was too tight on my UQ when I got it (which is why I took this picture to send to the maker- Loco Libre). He confirmed that it was set for an 11" hammock, and everything was fine. And I can honestly say, everything has been fine.

Hopefully this adjustment will bring some noticeable improvement. If it does work, then you can experiment by lengthening the suspension little-by-little and check to see if it's still working. Eventually, you'll get to the point where you feel the cold spots again. Then you'll know exactly how tight the suspension needs to be for the quilt to function properly.

Keep us posted!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rweb82; 02-01-2021 at 17:22.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    As a last resort, you could give the Triangle Thingies a shot: https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/...eThingies.html

Most everyone who uses them swears by them.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    Ok. I think we are getting somewhere... I know exactly what you are referring to and can pretty easily replicate it on my setup.

Three things that you can try that will help with that area.

First, make sure that the end cinches are not too tight. Less is more on the foot end. Unfortunately, this is a try and error one and it's hard to get this right by yourself. You don't want the cinch deforming the quilt so that the suspension can't do it's job.
    20210201_145328.jpg

Second - I go against the flow here. I utilize the quilt hook opposite my feet and shoulder. I sleep feet-right and use the quilt hook on the LEFT side at the foot end and RIGHT side at the head end. The whole reason I use them in this fashion is to help with the exact problem you are facing.

20210201_145317.jpg

Finally - I cut my suspension (evenly of course) and utilize a separate attachment point at each corner. The reason for this is that if there is a single attachment point, it comes up from the bottom of the hammock. Utilizing separate attachments allows me to 'flip' the suspension up over the hammock and provide extra lift. Doing this step almost eliminates the need for step 2, but if the hammock has quilt hooks, I still utilize them.

Suspension under hammock as if using the single carabiner:
    20210201_145420.jpg

Suspension 'flipped' up and over the hammock:
    20210201_145409.jpg

Close up of how I attached the mini-biners:
    20210201_145509.jpg
    20210201_145519.jpg

This sounds like a lot of fiddling, but once you do it enough, much like anything else, it becomes second nature.
    This feels much better in the garage (haven't cut the lines, but changed AOA with biners over the ridgeline to mimic how the triangle thingies would work), but there's only one way of really knowing.

Wish me luck, guys...

Images
    Good luck, Hang!

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    This feels much better in the garage (haven't cut the lines, but changed AOA with biners over the ridgeline to mimic how the triangle thingies would work), but there's only one way of really knowing.

Wish me luck, guys...

... the best way to learn.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Well, made it thru 30 degrees and 20+ mph winds without an UQP, so that's about as good as I can realistically expect. I woke up once sweaty and twice cold (and once by being whacked in the head by my wind whipped tree strap), but was able to eventually find my way back to the warm spot. I did notice this morning that the UQ had sagged to where it was barely lifting the hammock. Not sure if that's stretching the primary out overnight that would normally be expected or the temperature making the elastic less elastic. Either way, something to look at making it a little bit easier for myself to adjust. I'd consider the main problems fixed by changing the angle of attack of the suspension. I'm going to get the triangle thingies to make it a little bit easier to adjust and either a UQP or sock to make it more robust. Going to have to just get experience the old fashioned way to stop waking up in the wrong position relative to the leg shelf or at least be able to get back to the right position quickly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast