Thread: Please help

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Unfortunately, you won't find the root of the issue if you're testing with a jerry-rigged system. You should exhaust all potential solutions with the quilt rigged normally (w/o the extra bungees), before moving on to a workaround solution.

I have to agree with Goobie on this. It seems that your body position in the Incubator may possibly be the culprit. Knowing your height and length of the UQ may shed some light on why you keep getting those drafts. The design of the Incubator makes it vital that you have the correct model for your size- as your butt needs to be situated right before the leg shelf begins. If you're off, you'll get a draft.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    I'm 6' tall, incubator is regular length.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    There are clips running the length of the hammock. They are visible in the picture you posted earlier. The suspension lines of the under quilt clip into those clips. The clips hold the suspension of the in UQ so that it is almost exactly aligned with the hammock in terms of length and height. That is your starting point to solving the problem: clip the suspension into those clips, don’t use the bungee cords or any of the other jury rig solutions people recommended until you do that first.

I think I see part of the confusion: the video of how to adjust, that was posted earlier by Shug, doesn’t show the clips. I don’t see clips on his particular Hammock in that video. Here is a down and dirty example, and the clips are already built-in to the sides of your hammock https://youtu.be/E5whulEG8Ng

Images
    I also have been wondering as I read this thread: does this have anything to do with the leg shelf? It is pretty wild that it could be this difficult to get an UQ to work as it is supposed to, but you are by no means the first one to have similar problems. It seems quite common, even if it mostly gets figured out. Full length UQs do have a tendency, in my experience, to gap away from the left leg when my feet are to the right. That is one reason I lean towards partial length UQs with gathered end hammocks. (makes no difference with bridge hammocks as long as the UQ is not too long for the hammock, which is one reason why I also lean towards bridge or 90º hammocks- though the latter are usually with pads)
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-30-2021 at 15:41.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    There are clips running the length of the hammock. They are visible in the picture you posted earlier. The suspension lines of the under quilt clip into those clips. The clips hold the suspension of the in UQ so that it is almost exactly aligned with the hammock in terms of length and height. That is your starting point to solving the problem: clip the suspension into those clips, don’t use the bungee cords or any of the other jury rig solutions people recommended until you do that first.

I think I see part of the confusion: the video of how to adjust, that was posted earlier by Shug, doesn’t show the clips. I don’t see clips on his particular Hammock in that video. Here is a down and dirty example, and the clips are already built-in to the sides of your hammock https://youtu.be/E5whulEG8Ng
    It surely seems you are on to something here. If the hammock comes with clips that are meant to work with the UQ, it is hard to picture how this would not take care of any gap problems. Particularly if the UQ and hammock and clips were all the same brand and designed to work together. I would certainly be trying that 1st.

But 1 question: Are these clips that come with the hammock intended to connect to the suspension on the left and right side of the hammock on both ends- using 4 clips? Or just- if feet are to the right, on the foot end right and head end left?
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-30-2021 at 15:56.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    It surely seems you are on to something here. If the hammock comes with clips that are meant to work with the UQ, it is hard to picture how this would not take care of any gap problems. Particularly if the UQ and hammock and clips were all the same brand and designed to work together. I would certainly be trying that 1st.

But 1 question: Are these clips that come with the hammock intended to connect to the suspension on the left and right side of the hammock on both ends- using 4 clips? Or just- if feet are to the right, on the foot end right and head end left?
    I connect all of them to the UQ suspension. And I lay in both directions! I'm a relative novice compared to most here, but my rig doesn't look anything like the picture posted on the previous page. That's all wrong, especially since the hammock and UQ are a matched pair. I can't find mine, but my HG UQ came with an instruction card (sort of like a cartoon) and a two page instruction sheet on how to attach and adjust the UQ.

Images
    I connect all of them to the UQ suspension. And I lay in both directions! I'm a relative novice compared to most here, but my rig doesn't look anything like the picture posted on the previous page. That's all wrong, especially since the hammock and UQ are a matched pair. I can't find mine, but my HG UQ came with an instruction card (sort of like a cartoon) and a two page instruction sheet on how to attach and adjust the UQ.
    That seems like a good system, I've never tried it.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    I'm 6' tall, incubator is regular length.
    Are your legs longer than your torso, or vice versa? That could explain part of your positioning issues. Could be a longer UQ would fit you better.

I think I see part of the confusion: the video of how to adjust, that was posted earlier by Shug, doesn’t show the clips. I don’t see clips on his particular Hammock in that video. Here is a down and dirty example, and the clips are already built-in. to the sides of your hammock https://youtu.be/E5whulEG8Ng
    Those are UQ hooks, usually just at the head and for ends on both sides. It looks like the HG hammock had them running the full length?
    Last edited by goobie; 01-30-2021 at 19:25.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*

Are you referring to these 4 clips listed in 2A of the instructions? If so, I've had them attached for the most part (may have missed them in a picture posted). I'm regretting posting the pctire with the bungee cords because everyone's latched onto that as something other than what it was: me trying to pull the UQ up against myself to see if tensioning the primary suspension any further would be helpful. For sleeping in the hammock for any extended duration, my adjustments have been limited to the primary, secondary, and cinch and the 4 corner hooks have, by and large, been hooked into the primary suspension.

Edit: it's worth noting that hooking the primary suspension in those 4 clips is the only instructions related to adjusting the primary suspension on the included card. Hence, my wife and I spent 4 nights not adjusting that variable to try to resolve the issues.
    Last edited by Hang Williams; 01-30-2021 at 19:44.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Are your legs longer than your torso, or vice versa? That could explain part of your positioning issues. Could be a longer UQ would fit you better.

Those are UQ good, usually just at the head and for ends on both sides. It looks like the HG hammock had them running the full length?
    I'm ~32-33" from heel to bottom of my butt. I'd be curious what the spec leg shelf length is. I'm measuring quite a bit less. While I'd be at some bit of diagonal, my butt would be starting off roughly in the middle, correct?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    I'm ~32-33" from heel to bottom of my butt. I'd be curious what the spec leg shelf length is. I'm measuring quite a bit less. While I'd be at some bit of diagonal, my butt would be starting off roughly in the middle, correct?
    I'm 32" there. How about a photo of you in the hammock with no underquilt..
    And with an underquilt but no added cords.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast