DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    Well, made it thru 30 degrees and 20+ mph winds without an UQP, so that's about as good as I can realistically expect. I woke up once sweaty and twice cold (and once by being whacked in the head by my wind whipped tree strap), but was able to eventually find my way back to the warm spot. I did notice this morning that the UQ had sagged to where it was barely lifting the hammock. Not sure if that's stretching the primary out overnight that would normally be expected or the temperature making the elastic less elastic. Either way, something to look at making it a little bit easier for myself to adjust. I'd consider the main problems fixed by changing the angle of attack of the suspension. I'm going to get the triangle thingies to make it a little bit easier to adjust and either a UQP or sock to make it more robust. Going to have to just get experience the old fashioned way to stop waking up in the wrong position relative to the leg shelf or at least be able to get back to the right position quickly.
    Sounds pretty successful(typical) for just getting started. Way to stick with it!

You didn't say if 'out of position' meant you ended up too far toward the foot end or what, but if that's the case, you may play with foot height (meaning raise the foot end). For my setup/body type, the foot of my hammock needs to be right around 12" higher than the head. (That's is the actual ends of the hammock not where it attaches to the tree).

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    Sounds pretty successful(typical) for just getting started. Way to stick with it!

You didn't say if 'out of position' meant you ended up too far toward the foot end or what, but if that's the case, you may play with foot height (meaning raise the foot end). For my setup/body type, the foot of my hammock needs to be right around 12" higher than the head. (That's is the actual ends of the hammock not where it attaches to the tree).

Once I was too high and once too low. I did have it set pretty level looking at it this morning and fought a calf ridge most of the night so will need to tweak around with the foot end higher which was my preferred lie w/o the UQ.

I appreciate everyone's help. This is working way better now. Just to summarize the adjustments I've made vs the out of the box for any future person who may have the same body type and same issue and read this thread:
    - tightened primary until UQ ~1' above the empty hammock
    - increase angle of attack of suspensions (using biners to mimic triangle thingies)
    - the warmest body position I've found is where the leg shelf starts roughly mid thigh. Any higher up in the UQ and I have a gap under my butt. Any lower and my feet start sticking out the end and gaps form on my back.
    - secondary and cinch adjusted to just hold things in place and seal the ends as expected.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    Once I was too high and once too low. I did have it set pretty level looking at it this morning and fought a calf ridge most of the night so will need to tweak around with the foot end higher which was my preferred lie w/o the UQ.

I appreciate everyone's help. This is working way better now. Just to summarize the adjustments I've made vs the out of the box for any future person who may have the same body type and same issue and read this thread:
    - tightened primary until UQ ~1' above the empty hammock
    - increase angle of attack of suspensions (using biners to mimic triangle thingies)
    - the warmest body position I've found is where the leg shelf starts roughly mid thigh. Any higher up in the UQ and I have a gap under my butt. Any lower and my feet start sticking out the end and gaps form on my back.
    - secondary and cinch adjusted to just hold things in place and seal the ends as expected.
    Yep, sounds like a reasonable amount of success at long last! Yay! I meant to remind you again before you set out last night about having a small piece of CCF pad for those pesky cold spots, but it sounds like you managed to get back into a sweet or warm spot every time and quickly enough. It's also great that you were able to sleep in the back yard except for the interruptions you mentioned. A lot of us have problems with that.

Very interesting about the rather precise positioning you needed relative to the leg shelf. I had wondered early on if that might be a contributing problem.

I see you have now joined this club: "fought a calf ridge most of the night". In the future, if and when you are struck with the need for additional hammock stuff to play with, you might want to look into bridge or 90º hammocks. It is a whole new set of pros and cons, and some(many?) prefer GE over either of these. And if backpacking, I am still as likely to pick one style as another. Again, those pros and cons. However, the major pro for the non GE style is making calf ridge a non problem every time from then on. For me(not every one agrees), I have also found these hammocks( JRB, WB and HammockTent90 ) easier to insulate. Many of the issues you have been struggling with (and which I have to be aware of also) simply have not existed for me with an UQ ( or a pad ) and a bridge hammock. Where ever I put my feet or legs as I change position, that spot is insulated. The UQ simply curves up around the shape of the bridge hammock, and is in contact with every spot. At least with the quilts and bridge hammocks I have used.

But for now, maybe you can finally settle in and enjoy your toys!

I have a related question. I also have a recently-purchased HG Wonderlust Kit. My first UQ and TQ! After some basement testing, I spent my first night in the woods. At 30 degrees I was toasty warm. But, I was only warm when I was flat on my back at a diagonal. If I changed positions, rolling to either side or legs to a figure 4, I felt drafts under me (TQ was fine).

Should I expect to be able to change positions in a GE hammock without drafts if the UQ is set up well? Or are you limited to sleeping only on your back?

Another night I'll try some of the tips & tricks in this thread to see for myself. I'm trying to set my expectations against other's experience. Thanks!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintThisGame View Post
    I have a related question. I also have a recently-purchased HG Wonderlust Kit. My first UQ and TQ! After some basement testing, I spent my first night in the woods. At 30 degrees I was toasty warm. But, I was only warm when I was flat on my back at a diagonal. If I changed positions, rolling to either side or legs to a figure 4, I felt drafts under me (TQ was fine).

Should I expect to be able to change positions in a GE hammock without drafts if the UQ is set up well? Or are you limited to sleeping only on your back?

Another night I'll try some of the tips & tricks in this thread to see for myself. I'm trying to set my expectations against other's experience. Thanks!
    I'm not the greatest expert here when it comes to using various brands of UQs on various brands of GE hammocks. But I can say that, based on my experience and that of others who have posted here, it is certainly not difficult to run into problems when you change positions. Sometimes I use an UQ and all is perfect all night long. Other times, at least with some UQs on some hammocks, I can be gap free while flat on my back, and then I turn on my side and some sort of gap develops in certain spots. I don't recall ever running into that problem- for some reason- using my Pea Pod on a Claytor No Net. And, like I said in my previous post just above, I have never yet had that problem using my JRB UQs on JRB bridge hammocks, nor that I can remember using them(or the AHE Ridge Creek) on a WB bridge hammock. For me, with a bridge, UQ gaps are never an issue(as long as the quilt is not too long for the hammock), and all areas of the hammock seem to end up well insulated. In my experience so far, at least. But with any of my GEs and an UQ, things can be trickier, especially if changing positions to my side. Another situation where I have no issues is using a pad in my bridge or 90º hammocks. Whatever position I end up in, wherever my body weight might press down and compress my TQ tucked under me, some insulating pad will be there. I figure it would be the same in a GE hammock with pad, assuming I can stay on the pad. Indeed, the one and only time I used a pad in a Speer GE with a Speer Segmented Pad Extender/ SPE, I had zero cold spots a bit below 20F.

Hammock
    HG 10’ w/net
    Tarp
    Anything with door
    Insulation
    HQ 20*/40* UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    Tree straps to con
    Don’t know if anyone else caught it, but you have your under quilt main suspension hooked on both left and right sides. You really only need to use the hook on the left side at head end right at your foot end. This allows the quilt to conform to your body.

When hooked on both sides, it keeps the quilt running down the centerline of the hammock.

I ain’t no rocket scientist so we might need to call upon the Professor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumbs up Concur

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    But I can say that, based on my experience and that of others who have posted here, it is certainly not difficult to run into problems when you change positions. Sometimes I use an UQ and all is perfect all night long. Other times, at least with some UQs on some hammocks, I can be gap free while flat on my back, and then I turn on my side and some sort of gap develops in certain spots...

...For me, with a bridge, UQ gaps are never an issue(as long as the quilt is not too long for the hammock), and all areas of the hammock seem to end up well insulated...
    This jogs my memory to when I used to use a pad in a GE. No gaps b/c the pad is in compression where I'm pressing on it and I was inside a sleeping bag.

I also have a double-layer WBRR and use a Nemo Tenor (inflatable pad) and have not experienced cold spots. I'll try the Incubator UQ on the WBRR. Makes sense that gaps are less likely on a bridge hammock b/c the ends do not change shape when you move due to the spreader bars. And the ends are where gaps are more likely with the GE.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintThisGame View Post
    This jogs my memory to when I used to use a pad in a GE. No gaps b/c the pad is in compression where I'm pressing on it and I was inside a sleeping bag.

I also have a double-layer WBRR and use a Nemo Tenor (inflatable pad) and have not experienced cold spots. I'll try the Incubator UQ on the WBRR. Makes sense that gaps are less likely on a bridge hammock b/c the ends do not change shape when you move due to the spreader bars. And the ends are where gaps are more likely with the GE.
    Folks who know please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Incubator might be an UQ that does not work so well on a bridge. I have never tried one, but isn't that an UQ with a leg shelf? I'm not sure, but seems like I remember some folks having some issues with the leg shelf, particularly on a bridge hammock. But, I'm not at all certain and it is certainly worth a try if that is the UQ you have. The only issue I have ever had using an UQ on a bridge is if the UQ is on the long side and I am attaching by clipping the UQ directly to the spreader bar ends/rings, with no UQ suspension. Or even if using a suspension- if the UQ is too long- it can get tricky. But, even then, the main problem will be excess sag near the sides/top edge of the bridge hammock, while still being snug against the back. Which I easily solve by adding a thin piece of shock cord connecting left UQ to right over the top of the hammock and TQ.

This actually has always been an occasional and slight issue with any UQ on any bridge, and I often correct it with the shock cord. But, if it is not excessive caused by too long of a quilt, I've never been sure that it is a problem that needs correcting. While there may be a small gap at the top edge of the hammock and quilt, I don't think there is any gap down lower where my body will be contacting the hammock. IOW, I've never been able to determine that small top edge gap actually decreases warmth of UQs on a bridge. I'm still plenty warm even if I do not correct for that small gap. But if the UQ is too long, that top edge gap can become excessive, and will certainly need correcting.

Tried out my WBRR with 20 deg HG Incubator UQ this weekend. Low of 26 with no wind. The fit was surprisingly good for length and width. I just looped the primary & secondary suspension of the UQ around the spreader bar ends. I had searched the forums before I went and noticed some loop cord around a custom-made ridgeline to either side of the Incubator. This is to pull up the sides to get a better fit/seal. I did not do this and notice a general, not cold, but, less-warm on my back and legs. Same feeling on my back as on my side. Since the less-warm was general, I'm guessing I was loosing heat along either side. I have a double-layer WBRR so threw in a Thermarest Ridgerest (1/2" foam pad) and was fine. I bet if I find a way to pull up the sides of the UQ with the cord-over-ridgeline or other fix it would work great. And I'm guessing above 40 degrees and I'd call any gaps venting and want them.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910