Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Yeah, if you get swarms of skeeters you’ll want full enclosure - so you can sit up in your hammock and still be protected. Note that if you are pressed against the mesh, the critter can bite through - but I’m guessing you are bite savvy. One thing you might do is bring a small camp pillow or a little extra clothing into the hammock with you. With a gathered end (GE) hammock, I don’t use the pillow under my head. It’s used under a knee for support or I might put it between my head and the bug net to keep the netting further away (less buzz noise). But again, if you treat whatever netting you get with permethrin - there are many posts about that topic on the forum - it will keep those pesky critters away.

Maybe I’ll put one of my full ENO nets up for sale. If so, I’ll let you know. These days many of my hammocks have a built in net and I don’t live/play where they are much of a problem. Last year I bought something called a thermacell from REI. It charges as a basic USB device and is supposed to provide a 10 ft bubble of protection (if the wind isn’t blowing). The charge only lasts about 4 hours but it should allow one to have a meal in peace.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    You said that you don't mind amazon gear so I'll take the risk of being hated and say you might look into "One wind" gear. We've been using their hammocks, tarps, and quilts for several months and like the stuff.
    I did go to our cottage venders for my upgraded quilts, but my partner is still using her one wind quilts. Of course I'm out more than her, but not by much.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Spend the money on the UQ, piece together the rest. Something synthetic from Arrowhead is likely doable and respectable.

A bugnet can be made for about $15 using 2 walmart window shears ($5.88 ea.) a bit of shockcord, a plastic slide lock and about an hour of sewing. Since you have time, spend a little bit more and get proper mesh that breathes better than the window shear fabric as it will stop the bugs but be hot for Texas. Google "fronkey diy bugnet" on the utubes for the directions. Lots of people (me included) prefer this style of bottom-entry nets over zippered versions.

In a pinch a wally world tarp will do but it seems like there are lots of amazon deals for $30-$50 that will be adequate, Wise Owl and the like come to mind. Not the best or lightest but functional. Sewing a tarp from a kit like from RBTR is always an option but requires much more advanced sewing and time.

Good luck.

Hammock
    Townsend Big Guy
    Tarp
    thunderfly
    Insulation
    Klymit/KAQ
    Suspension
    Several
    Yeah, wasn't winter great this year!!! San Antonio actually got about 15 flakes of snow a couple of weeks ago!!! Don't know who was there to count them but snow was reported.

First, take any thing I say with a grain of salt. I'd suggest the first thing you get is the Ultimate Hang by Derek Henson. A world of hammock knowledge in it. A must have for any one starting out in the hammock world.
    Second, a full sized bugnet, not a half one or headnet. Just imagine one of our typical south Texas summer nights. It's 80-85* at 10 PM, expected low to be 75*. I doubt that you're going to want to lay in your hammock with a 20* TQ to cover your legs to protect you from bugs because you have a half bugnet. Full bugnet so you can use much lighter cover.
    Unless you expect to camp in much colder places a light UQ might be better than a heavy UQ. You want to cut the breeze and keep the bugs from biting thru the hammock.
    If Amazon still has them Chill Gorilla tarps get acceptable reviews.
    You've gotten good advice from the other posters, but just remember their climates are much different than south Texas. Our winters, except for the rare cold snap, compare to their early spring.
    Good luck with your choices and HYOH!!

Hammock
    Kammock roo double, Soco single
    Tarp
    DD Hammocks 3X3
    Insulation
    Onewind 40* UQ
    Suspension
    python 10 straps
    I found this bug net on Amazon and it has a $6 coupon included so for 14 bucks it’s a good deal, and it’s full coverage.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B089Z...D2OWA5O4&psc=1
    hammocks were first brought to the civilized world by sailors in 1492, not much has changed besides materials, meaning hammocks are pretty perfect and have always been pretty perfect.

Images
    If you want to dabble in making your own gear, there's some potential savings and pride of ownership.

Underquilt: check out the Gemini DYI design (~$70) if you can get a hold of costco down blankets this time of year. Otherwise a DIY poncho liner quilt if you expect >40F temps. If you want to spend a smidge more, than a Hammock Gear Econ line would be good option.

Bugnet: Buy a fronkey-style full enclosure net for $50 or sew your own for $20. Also look into getting a Coleman "party net" which creates a 8'x8'x8' cube for <$20. Use as-is or mod it for hammock use.

Tarp: I agree about blue tarp. The cool kids will laugh at you, but you only spend $20 and its bombproof. I would not consider this for light backpacking, but for car camping its a wonderful option.

Hammock
    Homemade netless
    Tarp
    16ft kelty
    Suspension
    Whoopies/daisy
    DD hammocks has some cheaper stuff too.
    My wife uses their 3mx3m tarp, and we almost went for their underquilt, but ended up sewing them to save a little more.

Hammock
    Kammock roo double, Soco single
    Tarp
    DD Hammocks 3X3
    Insulation
    Onewind 40* UQ
    Suspension
    python 10 straps
    I think I've made my decision, I'm going with the onewind underquilt and bug net, and a DDHammocks 3mx3m tarp with their DD cord for a ridgeline
    (Tarp https://www.ddhammocks.com/product/ddtarp_olive_green_3x3
    Tarp ridgeline https://www.ddhammocks.com/product/cord?from_cat=34 ) $50 together

Underquilt https://www.onewindoutdoors.com/products/single-layer-underquilt $75
    Bug net https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089ZYQS8M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1ZSKND2O WA5O4&th=1&psc=1 $20

Total $145 shipping/tax not included

Last edited by ooyyeeaahh; 02-01-2021 at 11:22.
    hammocks were first brought to the civilized world by sailors in 1492, not much has changed besides materials, meaning hammocks are pretty perfect and have always been pretty perfect.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12