Kammock roo double, Soco single
    Tarp
    DD Hammocks 3X3
    Insulation
    Onewind 40* UQ
    Suspension
    python 10 straps

best Uq, tarp, and bug net for <$150

I still live under my parents roof and my birthday is coming up, All I own is a 9.5 foot hammock and a structural ridgeline from dutchware (I'm 100 Lbs and 5'). I need to know what to ask for at my birthday this march, I need an Under-quilt, rain fly/tarp, and a bug net all for around 150 bucks. I don't mind things from amazon nor am I super picky weight/bulk/color wise I just want something that will hold up for average camping trips.
    hammocks were first brought to the civilized world by sailors in 1492, not much has changed besides materials, meaning hammocks are pretty perfect and have always been pretty perfect.

A good bang for the buck underquilt is Arrowhead Equipment's Jarbidge. It's an even $100. I think you could also make your own, either with a kit or using the down throws everybody gets at Costco.

Cheapest bug net would be to make one yourself. If you make a HUG style bug net, that takes less material and time. I'd buy from Ripstop by the Roll, since 0.9 mesh is on sale right now as I write for $3/yard. Call it two yards for a HUG. (If you don't know what a half bugnet is, search the forums for the term or find Derek Hansen's "The Ultimate Hang" site)

Tarp is gonna be a head scratcher, though. Maybe somebody else can suggest one that'll come in under your budget since my suggestions leave you about $44 if you're counting.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    PaHaQue did have their double rain fly for around $32. Their better if you modify the suspension on them. There's videos on line on how to do this.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I use a basic bug net like this one for $17 on Amazon. LINK

It is a side entry zipper. It works and is inexpensive.

There are also many synthetic underquilts in the $50 price point, though may not be much experience with them.

But honestly, I'd focus your resources on getting a quality Underquilt over the other two. Look at the Hammock Gear Economy line: There is nothing economy about them compared to what Amazon offers. The main difference is he uses the less expensive and slightly heavier duck down over goose down. In a pinch, the $5 blue plastic tarps from Wal-mart and Harbor Freight will work just fine until you are ready to up grade.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I agree with jeff-oh, get the cheap blue Walmart tarp, the bugnet from Amazon and put most of your budget on the underquilt. You didn't mention temp ratings for the UQ, but you can get into the HG 40F Econ Phoenix (3/4 length) for around $110, not incl shipping.

You can also get the Arrowhead Equipment Jarbridge for $100 for either a 45F or 25F rating that sidneyhornblower mentioned.

Good luck!

Hammock
    HG
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG/AGGTQ SLDUQ/UQP
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiderwhoopi
    You'd be well served to scan the buy/sell section of this forum. There are a lot of people who buy stuff and then don't use it or find they need want something else.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Hammocks 3X3
    Insulation
    Onewind 40* UQ
    Suspension
    python 10 straps
    Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    You'd be well served to scan the buy/sell section of this forum. There are a lot of people who buy stuff and then don't use it or find they need want something else.
    I live in Texas so a 40f UQ is a 4 season its January 27 and 80* today for hells sake.
    hammocks were first brought to the civilized world by sailors in 1492, not much has changed besides materials, meaning hammocks are pretty perfect and have always been pretty perfect.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    At your height, a ¾ length underquilt will be close to full size. So you can save money there. You didn’t mention if your camping would be from a car - “official” camp sites - or if you will be backpacking the gear in. As you will be heading into Spring, with summer to follow, in March, a 40 degree UQ may work for you. Problem is, I don’t know Texas - temperature/humidity/your personal sleeping needs. You may read responses in this forum that show someone may be comfortable wiith a 40 degree UQ while in the same situation, another person may be cold even with a 20 degree UQ. So answer me this - in your sleepiong bag experience, if the bag says it’s rated at 20 degrees, does it keep you warm at 20 degrees? For example, I’m comfortable with a 10 degree cushion. So If I’m going to out with temps in the 30’s. I’ll take my 20 degree gear.

People may give you flack over your “blue tarp”. Let them! You have to start someplace and of the items you mentioned, the UQ will provide the most comfort.

The HUG bug net (sold by ArrowHead) is designed to clip on your hammock ridgeline, providing cover for your head to mid-body. The idea is, if you are in your top quilt or sleeping bag, the rest of your body is already covered. If you treat the net with permethrin, it will further discourage swarming.

Though March is only a month away - and it may be another month before you are camping - note that good deals are often found in the For Sale forum.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Hammocks 3X3
    Insulation
    Onewind 40* UQ
    Suspension
    python 10 straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    At your height, a ¾ length underquilt will be close to full size. So you can save money there. You didn’t mention if your camping would be from a car - “official” camp sites - or if you will be backpacking the gear in. As you will be heading into Spring, with summer to follow, in March, a 40 degree UQ may work for you. Problem is, I don’t know Texas - temperature/humidity/your personal sleeping needs. You may read responses in this forum that show someone may be comfortable wiith a 40 degree UQ while in the same situation, another person may be cold even with a 20 degree UQ. So answer me this - in your sleepiong bag experience, if the bag says it’s rated at 20 degrees, does it keep you warm at 20 degrees? For example, I’m comfortable with a 10 degree cushion. So If I’m going to out with temps in the 30’s. I’ll take my 20 degree gear.

People may give you flack over your “blue tarp”. Let them! You have to start someplace and of the items you mentioned, the UQ will provide the most comfort.

The HUG bug net (sold by ArrowHead) is designed to clip on your hammock ridgeline, providing cover for your head to mid-body. The idea is, if you are in your top quilt or sleeping bag, the rest of your body is already covered. If you treat the net with permethrin, it will further discourage swarming.

Though March is only a month away - and it may be another month before you are camping - note that good deals are often found in the For Sale forum.
    I will mostly be car camping, and I don't Think the half bug net will work, its a cool idea but there is about 4 mosquitoes per square foot in Austin, Texas starting April. But we don't get much rain so blue tarp would be okay.

Take a look at the Warbonnet site. The add-on bug net for the Traveler might suit you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast