WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy Chain

Banyan Bridge Vs.Ridgerunner

I知 looking for some user insight on which lightweight bridge is preferable. The older, established WB RR or the newly designed Dutch Banyan. I know Dutch痴 production is currently on hold, expecting to resume in Apri(?). I was hoping there were a few early purchasers of the Banyan who could offer some comparative thoughts. Since I知 leaning toward the Single Layer RR ( vs.Double Layer), it seems a fair comparison. Both have excellent features, and have been well reviewed by the usual YT guys.

Thoughts? Thanks.
    " Can't not try". :thumbup

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    I think Spiguyver will be having a video out soon on this topic.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and
    Quote Originally Posted by golfhiker View Post
    I’m looking for some user insight on which lightweight bridge is preferable. The older, established WB RR or the newly designed Dutch Banyan. I know Dutch’s production is currently on hold, expecting to resume in Apri(?). I was hoping there were a few early purchasers of the Banyan who could offer some comparative thoughts. Since I’m leaning toward the Single Layer RR ( vs.Double Layer), it seems a fair comparison. Both have excellent features, and have been well reviewed by the usual YT guys.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Now delayed until fall for the Banyon. At that point it will be over 1.5 years since the initial run. You can keep waiting and hope it doesn't get delayed for the 20th time Also, spiguyver did just do a comparison video, but I don't think he actually took the RR on a trip and used it. Could be wrong.

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    Spiguyver video is here: https://youtu.be/MVSAW5hUMPc

I have 3 Ridgerunners but would love to try a Banyan for comparison. The RR feels kind of cramped at times, and I'm only 5' 7" and 130 lbs. The bugnet design and suspension of same seems better on the Banyan. But those saddlebags!

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    There's not much different between them. Last I checked the Ridgerunner is lighter and costs less, which is win-win in my book.

Images
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that got in early. I was able to grab a Banyan with the winter cover and the ridgeline organizers early one. So I have both it and a RR. Been using the RR for several years and it was my hands down favorite. I have several gathered end hammocks as well but they were never as comfortable for me as a bridge. But now, I go back and forth between the RR and the Banyan. The biggest difference are the small things. Dutch version allows you to zip off the net. It also allows you to zip on a winter cover. They are both great hammocks and I spend about 50/50 in each. Size wise, they feel almost exactly the same when laying in them. The biggest difference for me is that my RR is double layer. The Banyan doesn't come that way. Hoping he changes that one day.

The only thing I have noticed is that when I hang my leg up (overish, with my knee hanging out the side) the Banyan doesn't seem to have a hard of an "edge". The webbing on the RR doesnt give at all and seems to "slightly" less comfortable on my leg. But I'm really splitting hairs with that one.

The saddlebags are awesome on the RR, but the ridgeline on the banyan rocks. Hoping dutch will make the zip in saddlebags for the banyan like he does for his gathered end one day.
    Last edited by Browning; 10-29-2021 at 11:11.

Hammock
    WBRR & Banyan
    Tarp
    Bonded Xenon Wide
    Insulation
    UGQ & Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I wouldn't wait for the Banyan at this point. They were hoping Fall but now they don't even have that listed. Get the RR, enjoy it, and when/if the Banyan becomes available, get it also.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    To throw some complexity in the mix - besides Bill Townsand’s bridges - there is also RSBTR’s DIY kit. It’s single layer with a pole width of about 32 inches - wider than the foot end of the RR, narrower than the head end. Because of the shorter poles, the suspension length can be shorter without overstraining them, so less of a tree separation requirement. There is no bug net but you can add a ridgeline to support a HUG net. A regular UQ can snug up to the rectangular shape. There are a few clear videos on the sewing requirements and at about $50 for the kit, not including poles, you might negotiate with a local seamsperson to put it together for a reasonable total price.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I know your looking for a comparison. I don't have a Brandon. I was forced to a RR from losing my bladder to cancer. It works for me for my drainage bag @ night. It's super comfortable. The shoulder area could be a little wider for my preference. I like gathered ends better but have no choice but a bridge for reasons previously stated. I don't tote my crap as I motorcycle camp. Even thought weight is also a factor on the motorcycle I prefer the double layer for the flexibility of adding additional insulation if needed.
    Wife laid in mine & now has the RR & down quilt & Super Fly. She loves hers. The new ones (hers) has the ability to add a ridge line. Can't go wrong with the RR. Their a quality product.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbiker View Post
    I know your looking for a comparison. I don't have a Brandon. I was forced to a RR from losing my bladder to cancer. It works for me for my drainage bag @ night. It's super comfortable. The shoulder area could be a little wider for my preference. I like gathered ends better but have no choice but a bridge for reasons previously stated. I don't tote my crap as I motorcycle camp. Even thought weight is also a factor on the motorcycle I prefer the double layer for the flexibility of adding additional insulation if needed.
    Wife laid in mine & now has the RR & down quilt & Super Fly. She loves hers. The new ones (hers) has the ability to add a ridge line. Can't go wrong with the RR. Their a quality product.
    I assume "Brandon" is an autocorrect for "Banyan"? But ditto everything you said for WBRR. I have had one for years, and it is consistently one of my most overall most comfy hammocks.

And speaking of Pros and Cons, there is the JRB James River. But in our new crazy world, they are also out of stock. But I have both brands, and I love the JRB James River. Do I love it more than the WBRR? Hard to say, it is the usual case of pros and cons. I find them very similar in overall comfort. But the JRB (single layer, my RR is a heavier duty double layer) is lighter, at only 18 oz INCLUDING POLES!. I'm thinking the JRB is a bit wider in the middle, which I like when in fetal position. And, my JRB UQs fit so perfectly, I am always toasty after a simple hook on. But, I suppose they are not available at the moment. But looks like one can get a WBRR.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast