Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    IIRC there’s a FAQ resource page on the DH site that addresses sym/asymmetric, netting, zippers etc. Your first step is figuring out which direction you lay and whether you ever change directions. That will drive your model selection and then you can decide on where to put zippers etc.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Generally speaking an asym hammock will lay just slightly flatter than a symmetrical integrated net hammock. The difference is not huge, but it's there. This is mainly because of the available depth from the ridgeline that the asym design offers.

I usually tell folks that if they are an experienced hanger with a solid preference in terms of right or left lay, get the asym hammock. If you're a newer hanger or you tend to switch diagonal positions, you should maybe consider the symmetrical hammock.

Just a heads up. We are in the process of also adding a symmetrical option to our Darien and DangerBird hammocks.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Generally speaking an asym hammock will lay just slightly flatter than a symmetrical integrated net hammock. The difference is not huge, but it's there. This is mainly because of the available depth from the ridgeline that the asym design offers.

I usually tell folks that if they are an experienced hanger with a solid preference in terms of right or left lay, get the asym hammock. If you're a newer hanger or you tend to switch diagonal positions, you should maybe consider the symmetrical hammock.

Just a heads up. We are in the process of also adding a symmetrical option to our Darien and DangerBird hammocks.
    I agree with this. And you will notice the flatter lay right off.
    Signature suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    I agree with this. And you will notice the flatter lay right off.
    +1

How much flatter will depend on a number of factors such as your weight & fabric stretch, but imo, if you already have a direction you lie comfortably, stick with it, & go asym.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post

I am assuming from what I read on HF a symmetrical hammock with the net removed/stowed has the same lay characteristics as a asymmetrical hammock with the net removed/stowed. That is to say the only difference between a sym and asym is the cut of the net/top cover. What that all means is if you have either sym or asym you possibly could change by getting a different net/top cover.

I would also add that from my experience changing the length of the ridge line has dramatic affects the lay flatness.

Lastly, great news about the Darien and DangerBirds.

Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    ... That is to say the only difference between a sym and asym is the cut of the net/top cover. What that all means is if you have either sym or asym you possibly could change by getting a different net/top cover...
    Except that many hammock do not have a detachable cover...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    I have a WBBB XLC and I am really liking this in winter so far. I do sometimes switch sides in winter now since I have the bug net detached. IIRC I didn't quite switch like that in summer/fall with the bug net still attached. But I sometimes did it even with the bug net still on the other way just in the middle of the night.

I was also a head right feet left guy before the XLC and got it because of the reversability but the difference in how the XLC works depending on lay made me switch. Really a lot of it is what you are used to if you ask me and how open you are to giving a different way of doing things a chance and for how long (meaning will you just get used to it? People are usually quite adaptable. It made us survive this planet for so long ).

YMMV as always.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12