Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick easy tarp to trees

Sorry for any inaccurate usage of terms, I've been hammocking for a long time, and know there are probably 3 dozen ways to skin this cat and get a tarp attached, but I'll try to describe what I do, and what I want...

What I currently do: Each end of my tarp ridge has a line that I tie a taut line hitch to the tree, so I have to tie a hitch at each end, and adjust as necessary. Im used to this workflow and it's probably one of the lightest ways to go, but ....

What I'm looking for: Is there hardware available that eliminates me needing to tie both knots? I see solutions where I tie off one end of the tarp, and then on the other side I could use something like a Figure 9 to eliminate a knot on that side. What Im looking for is hardware to eliminate knots on BOTH sides. If it exists, what's it called?

Thanks!
    S.
    Last edited by supernettipot; 01-25-2021 at 13:06.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I use a Dutch CRL, no knots. Kinda fidgety with having to recenter the tarp if your tree distance varies a lot. Sometimes happens on multiday hikes. Also, the prussiks will get jammed up from time to time and have to be re-tied.

I also use Dutch Stingerz, which clip on to the ridgeline D-rings. Each one has about 15' of Zing-it that go around the tree and lock on the antenna. I prefer this solution.

dutchstingers1.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by supernettipot View Post
    Sorry for any inaccurate usage of terms, I've been hammocking for a long time, and know there are probably 3 dozen ways to skin this cat and get a tarp attached, but I'll try to describe what I do, and what I want...

What I currently do: Each end of my tarp ridge has a line that I tie a taut line hitch to the tree, so I have to tie a hitch at each end, and adjust as necessary. Im used to this workflow and it's probably one of the lightest ways to go, but ....

What I'm looking for: Is there hardware available that eliminates me needing to tie both knots? I see solutions where I tie off one end of the tarp, and then on the other side I could use something like a Figure 9 to eliminate a knot on that side. What Im looking for is hardware to eliminate knots on BOTH sides. If it exists, what's it called?

Thanks!
    S.
    My Tarp ridgeline has a locked brummel loop on one end and a figure 9 on the other. I use prussicks along the line to adjust the tarp position over the hammock.

Similar to this one from Autumn Ultralite: aa31d5_63e39b1532724567addba261da029218~mv2.jpg
    Here it is at the tree: aa31d5_e47769d519664d878caf2f99e3c9483c~mv2.jpg

She also uses the NAMA claws instead of prussicks.

This is a non-hardware hardwareish solution.

Thanks, so are you using the Stingerz on both sides on the tarp? Do you have to keep any significant tension on the first side as you move to the second side so that it stays in place?

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    The plastic toggles from Myerstech are amazing (video below). I also run a separate line from each end of my tarp, like you. At this point, I'm sure you can probably eyeball to see how much your tarp should overhang the hammock. All you have to do is set loop the line around the tree, hold the end of the tarp where it should be in relation to your hammock, and lock the line into the toggle. Then, once you tie off the other end, the tarp will already be centered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO3TURgNjs0

Thanks rweb82 that looks like exactly what I was looking for, and had never heard of it! Ordering now, thanks again!
    S.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Toggles, knots, clips, loops, CRL, biners, ahh!

Keep it simple by attaching a ~8' line "permanently" to each end of the tarp. Keep one Tarp Flyz on each line. Go around the tree and tighten each end using the Tarp Flyz (similar to a figure 9).

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    The plastic toggles from Myerstech are amazing (video below). I also run a separate line from each end of my tarp, like you. At this point, I'm sure you can probably eyeball to see how much your tarp should overhang the hammock. All you have to do is set loop the line around the tree, hold the end of the tarp where it should be in relation to your hammock, and lock the line into the toggle. Then, once you tie off the other end, the tarp will already be centered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO3TURgNjs0
    Yeah, these are the best solution that I have found yet - super easy to adjust, no knots, fastest setup.

I like that I can make the loop wherever I want, close to the tree, further out if the suspension straps would be in the way, so flexible and so simple.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by supernettipot View Post
    Thanks rweb82 that looks like exactly what I was looking for, and had never heard of it! Ordering now, thanks again!
    S.
    If he doesn't have them on his eBay site, shoot him a message and he can probably still hook you up. Or if you're on FB, you can contact him on FB Messenger under the name Jeff Myers.

His ebay store had them in stock. Cheap too - I'll be able to equip 5 tarps for less than it would cost for just 1 Dutch Wasp shipped to me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast