Poles over tarp to pull insides out

I've seen a number of people use the center tie outs on their tarps by putting their hiking poles over ther continous rideline and looping them over the ends of the poles. I have a dyneema HG winter palace but I'm not running a continous ridgeline. Can I still run the poles over the tarp or do I need to stick the poles in the ground and tun the guylines to the top of the pole?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    It’s a matter of concern for wear. And perhaps lift angle. If you like the split tarp suspension, you can alway add and extra line across the top of your trap. The point of the “external pole mod” is to eliminate the need of poles and extra guy lines strung out from the tarp.

If you are not in some windy condition that is blowing things around and your poles are just lying on the tarp ridgeline, I don’t see much concern. So it not the “on top of” as much as “for how long” and "how much rubbing/abrasion”.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    You'll get multiple answers on both sides of this question. There are very few examples of a pole actually causing enough abrasion to make a problem and plenty of anecdotal evident thats its fine.

I pose a different way of looking at the question.

What if you have a scratch in your pole? Or some mud, a stick or sand get between the pole and tarp? How many hours on a windy night would it take to cause a leak? I have no idea.

If you do run it directly on the tarp, keep a patch kit handy, or even better, be preventative on the matter. Throw the patch kit on before hand for some extra protection and just keep an eye on it. You'll likely be fine with zero issues.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    With the poles over the CRL there is more upward pull. I also prefer this arrangement for the reasons mentioned by cougarmeat and chapinb.

I also prefer a CRL vs split ridge lines because I feel it puts less stress on the tarp.

This is the standard Hex w/doors but I do it the same with the Palace....

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow 20/Lynx
    Suspension
    Spider/Poly straps
    I used a set of DIY carbon fiber poles with my Palace on a recent AT thruhike. Set-up was a split ridge and the poles rested directly on the tarp. Just checked it and I can't see any sign of abrasion on my tarp. I did have a fair number of windy nights during the second half of the trip and at least one hurricane remnant in August.

If you feel better with insurance, I'll echo chapinb's suggestion of applying a patch to the area beforehand. Additional weight would be negligible.
    Harlan Hastings
    NPT Nobo 2013; AT Sobo 2020

Hammock
    HG Bug Net
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* Phoenix
    So I have a Silpoly WB Thunder fly (so not DCF, but still in appropriate, I think), and was putting poles directly against the tarp. I was trying to see how close to the ground I could get the tarp for storm purposes, and I think I pitched it too close to my hammock ridgeline. This created some rubbing on both sides, and the photo shows what started to happen. I quickly ended that, and put the poles on the CRL now, which I still use. So on one side it might not be bad, but if you're dumb like me and don't think about the hammock ridgeline, it could quickly become an issue.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    HG UL Daisy Chain
    Just to add/ update on this topic. I recently placed an order for a WB Thunderfly Tarp, and asked to include the Side Pull Pole Kit ( the two bars over the top), which is shown on their TF Photo and referenced in the “features/options section of the order page.
    I was then notified by WB that they no longer ( and won’t in the future) offer the two bars over the top, citing the very reason discussed here, abrasion issues.

So unless I go to the underground world of dark web hammock gear, I won’t be buying a Side Pull Pole Kit anytime soon.
    " Can't not try". :thumbup

Hammock
    HG Bug Net
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by golfhiker View Post
    Just to add/ update on this topic. I recently placed an order for a WB Thunderfly Tarp, and asked to include the Side Pull Pole Kit ( the two bars over the top), which is shown on their TF Photo and referenced in the “features/options section of the order page.
    I was then notified by WB that they no longer ( and won’t in the future) offer the two bars over the top, citing the very reason discussed here, abrasion issues.

So unless I go to the underground world of dark web hammock gear, I won’t be buying a Side Pull Pole Kit anytime soon.
    Ah, very interesting, thanks for the heads up. I emailed WB about my tarp, they said that it should be fine since there aren't any actual punctures, and to brush some silicone seam sealer on the affected areas on both sides of the tarp to ensure it's good. (They got back to me quick and had great service, I love our cottage manufacturers!) I do enjoy having the poles, and I use a CRL, so I will just make sure and put them over the ridgeline from now on when using them.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by golfhiker View Post

You can find all the materials you need to make your own poles at Quest Outfitters.

Use a one-piece ridge line and string it up with a lot of tension so that the poles do not rub the tarp.

If you are a backpacker and use trekking poles, you can save some weight and bulk by employing them as your tarp poles. Or you might be able to find some sticks.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts