Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutchware Netless
    Tarp
    HH asym
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Side/stomach sleeper, need advice.

I have a good setup with a Dutchware 11' single layer but the sad reality is that I'm way more comfortable stomach sleeping or side sleeping. I have top and under quilts and a decent tarp, I'm wondering if a different hammock would work better. Would a double layer with a pad (in addition to the UQ) help or am I looking at something else? Thanks for your advice.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Most hammocks can work for side sleeping...more or less.
    Might take some getting used too but achievable.
    Best stomach sleeper is Amok Draumr and Haven Tent.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless
    Tarp
    HH asym
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks Shug, I love your videos, they're very helpful for new hammockers like me.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    dedicated stomach sleeper here, and Amok Draumr works for me

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    FWIW, I always side sleep in bed. I specifically have to have my arms outstretched across the bed, while I myself lay on one side of the bed.

In my hammock, I do usually have my head either left or right, even if I lay on my back. But like Shug is showing in his videos, being on your side is totally fine as well (at least it is in my WBBB XLC). I used to do it more towards the start of my hammock journey and also more when it's warmer outside. Like around freezing or above it's fine. But for some reason below that I really just lay on my back (or maybe I've just gotten used to it and it just happens to be winter at the moment. I can probably tell you in a year from now which is was ).

All that to say that humans are creatures of habit. Like Shug mentions in his test of the "Sewn in underquilt" hammock. Keep an open mind, just try it. Keep at it, it's not gonna change over night. It might never change. But it also might. I still sleep on my side in my bed. But not any longer in the hammock.

YMMV

Hammock
    BBXLC / sparrow
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    wooki/burrow/
    Suspension
    straps
    hi.

dedicated hammock sleeper, every night, indoors and out.

also side sleeper, sometimes stomach sleeper.

stomach sleeping is hard in a gathered end hammock, but you can sort of do it. side sleeping is easier than in a bed in a BBXLC and - can report as of yesterday- in a DH sparrow. you have to get your position right but the ability to sidesleep without losing touch with lower arm is the main reason i sleep in a hammock.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I sleep every night in a hammock, well at least 99% of nights. I have used a DH Sparrow symmetrical and I can comfortably sleep on ether side or on my back in either direction. Having said that, the 90 degree style hammocks and the Haven are vastly more comfortable for side sleeping. I have several Hammocktent 90 degrees (my favorite), and have used a Amok Draumr (sold), and a Exped Ergo (no longer made). Currently I've have stuck to the GE DH Sparrow because I have it on a portable frame that I can slid around for watching movies on my computer or slide it out of the way during the day time. Makes an excellent move/napping couch. If I could do the same for the Hammocktent I would be using it, but it is also my go to UL backpacking hammock and I want to keep it in good shape just for that niche. The Haven is one I'd like to try sometime, but I won't until they realize the current version is simply too narrow. When this improves I likely will purchase one.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I find I can sleep any way I want in my RR.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I start out on my back 98% of the time. But by morning, either in a GE or the RR, I can fetal up on my side. Even in a traditional bed, I’ve never been comfortable on my stomach. Maybe it’s some primordial issue with being too exposed to danger.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Side sleeper. 5'6" tall (hahaha). I use an 11ft x 60" wide DIY gathered end hammock. I can get a pretty good diagonal going on. When I get a little fetaly, I can EASILY get a 45deg angle and feel REALLY secure in the hammock. I can get to 90deg if I am willing to flop around long enough, but this can get a little "tippy" if I am not paying attention.

Add pillows.

When I am in the backyard, I have three "travel size" pillows in the hammock with me -- under head, between knees, and one for hugging. Once you figure out what it takes for YOU to be comfortable, you can work out what you actually want to carry on the trail.

For instance, I do NOT like inflatable pillows under my head, so I carry a small travel pillow with actual stuffing. I am OK with inflatable pillows (and even a folded sit pad) between my knees. I use my clothing bag for "hugging" - either with clothing in it, or partially inflated with air (it is a dry bag and will hold air).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast