Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Agree that the draumr is perfect for side sleeping. I find the standard to be better than the XL though.

Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    I sleep every night in a hammock, well at least 99% of nights. I have used a DH Sparrow symmetrical and I can comfortably sleep on ether side or on my back in either direction. Having said that, the 90 degree style hammocks and the Haven are vastly more comfortable for side sleeping. I have several Hammocktent 90 degrees (my favorite), and have used a Amok Draumr (sold), and a Exped Ergo (no longer made). Currently I've have stuck to the GE DH Sparrow because I have it on a portable frame that I can slid around for watching movies on my computer or slide it out of the way during the day time. Makes an excellent move/napping couch. If I could do the same for the Hammocktent I would be using it, but it is also my go to UL backpacking hammock and I want to keep it in good shape just for that niche. The Haven is one I'd like to try sometime, but I won't until they realize the current version is simply too narrow. When this improves I likely will purchase one.
    Haven has introduced a XL version on thier website. XL is 30 inches wide. Standard is 24 inches wide

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    This past week I set up my modified Hammocktent 90 Alpha. I had not used it in quite a while because I liked the portability of a GE attached to the hammock stand. However, I figured out a way that I can suspend the Hammocktent from the red iron trusses on pulleys, throw a couple of alpine butterfly knots in the rope and very easily let the hammock down for night time and hoist it up for the day time. Once again I have been amazed at how much more comfortable the Hammocktent is, especially for side sleeping. Plus, I sleep for longer periods in between my nightly pit stops. During the day it is up out of the way and I can scoot the DH Sparrow w/ hammock frame in position for my Netflix/Amazon "couch". I luv lounging in the Sparrow to watch my computer (finished the Expanse season 5, and I'm really into Kingdom). Most comfortable 'couch' ever.

PS: Thanks for the heads up on the XL Haven. I get first dibs on a used one ;-)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    All the things
    I'm a side sleeper and do OK in my Warbonnet Blackbird. It's a double bottom, and I usually put a pad in there. Occasionally, I'm OK on my stomach, too. Haven't been hammocking long, but I do love the Warbonnet. Given my thrashing about when I sleep, am now contemplating quilt vs sleeping bag, but that's a different thread.

I'm 5'8".

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40F
    Suspension
    Dutchware strap BB
    I’m having a tough time back sleeping. It works, it doesn’t. But I keep trying. Does get disappointing.

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Once again I have been amazed at how much more comfortable the Hammocktent is, especially for side sleeping. Plus, I sleep for longer periods in between my nightly pit stops.
    Yeah. Luke really figured it out didn't he? I love mine, but what I don't love is, as often as not, waking up with a "wet" back. I suffer from condensation using a pad in a hammock. It's a bummer. Tried lots of pads and always the same. I wish there was a solution, but I don't know what it is.

I also really enjoy that large tarp with a gathered end, but I think I could find a work around for that. It'd be cool to have a tarp 6' wide on the head end and large enough for a massive porch in the front. 10'? 12?

Edit:
    And.......................................... our 90 Degree Hammocks are now collectors items. Just saw this on Lukes Facebook page.

Announcement: HammockTent.com is closing! I've been grappling with the decision for quite a while, given my love for the 90DH and its users. However, recent developments have facilitated the decision to now move on.
    All items are already out of stock at HammockTent.com. But the web page will stay online for the time being, and I might be posting something related to 90DH camping and ultralight long distance hiking here on FB every once in a while.
    Thank you!
    Luke
    Last edited by Jimswms; 03-06-2021 at 19:24.

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimswms View Post
    Yeah. Luke really figured it out didn't he? I love mine, but what I don't love is, as often as not, waking up with a "wet" back. I suffer from condensation using a pad in a hammock. It's a bummer. Tried lots of pads and always the same. I wish there was a solution, but I don't know what it is.

I also really enjoy that large tarp with a gathered end, but I think I could find a work around for that. It'd be cool to have a tarp 6' wide on the head end and large enough for a massive porch in the front. 10'? 12?

Edit:
    And.......................................... our 90 Degree Hammocks are now collectors items. Just saw this on Lukes Facebook page.

Announcement: HammockTent.com is closing! I've been grappling with the decision for quite a while, given my love for the 90DH and its users. However, recent developments have facilitated the decision to now move on.
    All items are already out of stock at HammockTent.com. But the web page will stay online for the time being, and I might be posting something related to 90DH camping and ultralight long distance hiking here on FB every once in a while.
    Thank you!
    Luke
    Hi Jim, I have had the solution for a tad over 2 years. I ran it by Luke who said he wanted to remain focused on producing the most UL hammock design for backpacking purposes. Then with his permission I took it to a vendor who liked the idea enough to request that I keep it quiet until he had time to explore the idea. Last week, the two year anniversary of contacting the vendor, and several interactions in between, I bumped them again and requested if they aren't going to pursue the idea then lets move on and to send my working prototype back to me. Currently it is now in the mail. My plans are to ask another major vendor known for cutting edge stuff if they would be interested in further diversifying their hammock offerings. I am waiting for the prototype to get here before proceeding with that plan. If they are not interested I may go ahead and put it out on HF....before I die. I actually today received some fabric from Ripstopbytheroll that I ordered just to try making another 90* prototype that I really want to try. Thank you for letting me know about Luke's posting. He was a super nice guy to talk to and we corresponded on some of the ideas I had. He is an engineer by trade and given the problems he had with the production companies, and consequently, the higher cost I understand why he thinks it is time to focus his talents elsewhere.

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Hi Jim, I have had the solution for a tad over 2 years. I ran it by Luke who said he wanted to remain focused on producing the most UL hammock design for backpacking purposes. Then with his permission I took it to a vendor who liked the idea enough to request that I keep it quiet until he had time to explore the idea. Last week, the two year anniversary of contacting the vendor, and several interactions in between, I bumped them again and requested if they aren't going to pursue the idea then lets move on and to send my working prototype back to me. Currently it is now in the mail. My plans are to ask another major vendor known for cutting edge stuff if they would be interested in further diversifying their hammock offerings. I am waiting for the prototype to get here before proceeding with that plan. If they are not interested I may go ahead and put it out on HF....before I die. I actually today received some fabric from Ripstopbytheroll that I ordered just to try making another 90* prototype that I really want to try. Thank you for letting me know about Luke's posting. He was a super nice guy to talk to and we corresponded on some of the ideas I had. He is an engineer by trade and given the problems he had with the production companies, and consequently, the higher cost I understand why he thinks it is time to focus his talents elsewhere.
    Yep. I remember your project. I'll be interested in hearing more when the time is right. Sad to hear about Luke, but man, there can't be much money in this business. His design was pretty focused. It's an amazing hammock. I've thought about selling mine, but now that I know I can't get another that would be a bad move!

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimswms View Post
    Yep. I remember your project. I'll be interested in hearing more when the time is right. Sad to hear about Luke, but man, there can't be much money in this business. His design was pretty focused. It's an amazing hammock. I've thought about selling mine, but now that I know I can't get another that would be a bad move!
    Agreed. I actually have three that I picked up when I started on this project. An Alpha for indoor use and now set up, a Beta that I modified and shipped off as a prototype (suppose to be on the way back now), and my precious Gamma UL that I reserve for backpacking only.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC & Ridgerunner
    I can side sleep in my Warbonnet BB XLC but not in my Warbonnet RR. The RR is too narrow in the center for me to comfortably bring my knees up (I'm 5'11" 195LBS). I have thought about giving an AMOK a try as it appears to be a good side/stomach sleeping option.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast