DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by pknack View Post
    Haven't really posted here before but just wanted to chime in-I had this exact failure this past weekend on night 2. No sharp clothing, fingernails, etc, weight 195... BUT i was trying to shimmy into an extra pants layer in the middle of the night and should have probably climbed out of the hammock to do it. Maybe i can make a couple of chairs out of the fabric now who knows... FWIW it is an amazing material it felt same as a plastic grocery bag in terms of weight and felt pretty sturdy the 1st night. Probably could have been more careful/gentle then it may have been just fine... glad i happened to be hanging close to the ground this time tho lol
    IMO, you shouldn't have to treat your camping gear with kid gloves in the hopes it'll hold up for the duration of a trip- especially when you're spending good money on it. A catastrophic failure like this can have some serious implications in the backcountry. There are plenty of other lightweight materials that can actually stand up to real-world usage, and you won't have to worry if you're gear is gonna fail if you happen to sneeze too hard.

For me, a hammock like this would cause me to constantly worry about whether or not it's gonna make it through the night. I would not get any sleep, and the trip would not be relaxing.

While Cloud .71 is a cool & futuristic material, I don't think it's 'ready for primetime' in its current state- due to the reasons mentioned above. It needs to be stronger and more reliable for it to be a good option for a hammock. Or it may be a great option for other applications.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Sparrow 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Poly/Dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    IMO, you shouldn't have to treat your camping gear with kid gloves in the hopes it'll hold up for the duration of a trip- especially when you're spending good money on it. A catastrophic failure like this can have some serious implications in the backcountry. There are plenty of other lightweight materials that can actually stand up to real-world usage, and you won't have to worry if you're gear is gonna fail if you happen to sneeze too hard.

For me, a hammock like this would cause me to constantly worry about whether or not it's gonna make it through the night. I would not get any sleep, and the trip would not be relaxing.

While Cloud .71 is a cool & futuristic material, I don't think it's 'ready for primetime' in its current state- due to the reasons mentioned above. It needs to be stronger and more reliable for it to be a good option for a hammock. Or it may be a great option for other applications.

Exactly this. It’s the reason I sold mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hammock Backpackers Community 👇🏻
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/hammockbackpackers

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    some times you just shouldn't try and make a lightest material and this is one of those times seeing at the 1.0 monolite fails the exact same way. we all kknow some company now is going to try and make a lighter material than the .71 cloud. glad i only bought mine to use on day hikes and to lounge around while car camping.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Yeah, when it was just one or two failures, and at least one was caused from a snag, I was more optimistic. I’ve suspended work on mine, pending further contemplation. It might become a chair.

Looks like this fabric is out of stock on the Dutch hammocks. Wonder if that is the case or if he is having second thoughts about the failures.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post

This really is the crux of it.

I was hanging the last 3 nights pretty far from a bail-out and it was cool and raining every night, with a lot of wind the last night. A hammock failure would've been an unmitigated cluster flock.

No matter how UL one wants to be, there are plenty of other places to cut weight (both pack and body) and the hammock is the absolute last item I'd consider. Uberlight quilts and DCF tarps have proven durable enough for me, but for the weight of a couple of extra PowerBars I'll happily carry a more robust hammock every time and still have a total pack weight in the 15-17lb range.

Just my humble opinion, as always.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Currently blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Superfly
    I picked up one of Dutch’s hammock chairs in the fabric for my girlfriend. I have to say it’s pretty awesome to have something so light. IMO the hammock chair is a really awesome use for the fabric. It’s light enough so that you hardly notice it in your pack and worse case scenario it’s not the end of the world if you have a failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    1.0 HyperD DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware DCF
    Insulation
    DIY down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

I was hanging the last 3 nights pretty far from a bail-out and it was cool and raining every night, with a lot of wind the last night. A hammock failure would've been an unmitigated cluster flock.

No matter how UL one wants to be, there are plenty of other places to cut weight (both pack and body) and the hammock is the absolute last item I'd consider. Uberlight quilts and DCF tarps have proven durable enough for me, but for the weight of a couple of extra PowerBars I'll happily carry a more robust hammock every time and still have a total pack weight in the 15-17lb range.

That’s exactly what I’ve been leaning towards, and why I’ve stopped working on it for now. If it was just an issue of having to baby it, then fine. But when babying doesn’t seem to be enough, that’s a lot less fine for me.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    I guess I just got lucky on my two winter trips this year with the Cloud71. Going to ground is one thing; going to snow is another.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

I think it's a cool exercise in both marketing buzz and potential projects later down the road, but I agree fabric that light is asking for problems when you're putting a load in it. Especially when the load in question is your backbone.

It is impressive how light it is and the theoretical weight limit, though. If durability can be improved it certainly has more potential.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast